[BOOK SPOILERS] Watching the show if it overpasses the books [Part 2]

Stubby

I always intended to watch season #5 as it came out as it will be mostly based on the books. I've mostly thought in terms of not watching season #6 until the book comes out, which will hopefully be at worst only a few months of waiting (if any at all).

Season #7 will be the problem, to see if it is possible to wait a number of years before watching it, especially if there is an eighth book, as I'd much rather read how it finishes in the books than to let the TV series spoil the ending.

As much as I wouldn't like to see spoilers either, I will watch the series as they come on TV. and then, when I read TWOW and ADOS, I'll try to picture the scenarios differently so that I can live the awesome moments again (I actually read AGOT after watching season 1 and it was still awesome)

The audiobooks are good, my eyesight is poor and so I can't read books.

The voices changes between book 3 and 4. It was a little off-putting but not terrible. I do hope they get someone new for WoW though. Steven Pacey who read Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy would be great. He does so many voices so well.

The audiobooks are good, my eyesight is poor and so I can't read books.

The voices changes between book 3 and 4. It was a little off-putting but not terrible. I do hope they get someone new for WoW though. Steven Pacey who read Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy would be great. He does so many voices so well.

Glasses and contact lenses have been developed you know.

Glasses and contact lenses have been developed you know.

Uh, they only help when your eyesight is correctable. Not everyone has correctable eyesight, and even then, some people can never achieve perfect vision even with glasses and contact lenses. I wear contacts and my night vision is poor.

Are the audiobooks good?

I love them! Especially if you take sj4iy's advice like I did and separate the audio files by the chapter, then you can create playlists for individual characters or combine the last two books since they are taking place at the same time...it creates one long book but the timeline flows better.

Opinions on Roy Dotrice are pretty bipolar around this site. Some love him and some don't. Personally I think he's great, but I have to admit that his work is better in books 1, 2 and 3 than in books 4 and 5.

I agree with this. I love Roy Dotrice but he is 91...will be 92 this year! He earned a place in the Guinness World Records in 2004 for the highest number of character voices by a single actor for the first book in the series, A Game of Thrones (in which he voices a total of 224 characters).

The show is a bastard of the books already so it doesn't matter if they overtake them. The rough outline of the story doesn't matter, but the individual characters and dialogue all does - it's why you don't give spoiler alerts for Hamlet.

I think that GRRM has run out of ideas and I hope I'm wrong. Contrasting the episode he wrote (Blackwater) with the book has shown that he at least sees the show as different, or he has lost his muse and or his integrity.

Emilia Clarke's crappy acting will probably make Dany's ending look like a total joke. Same with Kit Harington. Add some boobs for the final shot and we're done. The situation sucks. I'll try to avoid the show as much as possible, but I'm sure I'll get spoiled in the end. It's inevitable. At least I hope Winds of Winter is released before season 6. Small chance but hope never dies.

I always scoff a little when I see "Ice and Fire" fanart with Clarke, Harington and the show's portrayal of the Others photoshopped into it. Always looks hilarious with those actors and designs!

The show is a bastard of the books already so it doesn't matter if they overtake them. The rough outline of the story doesn't matter, but the individual characters and dialogue all does - it's why you don't give spoiler alerts for Hamlet.

I think that GRRM has run out of ideas and I hope I'm wrong. Contrasting the episode he wrote (Blackwater) with the book has shown that he at least sees the show as different, or he has lost his muse and or his integrity.

What are you referring to specifically, regarding Blackwater? The only two examples I think of (other than the entire structure of the battle being changed from a river/bank, how the Wildfire functioned, the chain, etc. basically way less epic (and understandably so, for once)) would be Stannis leading from the front, which was the director's decision, and the Sansa/Sandor scene being changed (and they fucked up their relationship since Season 1... and I care little for Rory in the role).

What are you referring to specifically, regarding Blackwater? The only two examples I think of (other than the entire structure of the battle being changed from a river/bank, how the Wildfire functioned, the chain, etc. basically way less epic (and understandably so, for once)) would be Stannis leading from the front, which was the director's decision, and the Sansa/Sandor scene being changed (and they fucked up their relationship since Season 1... and I care little for Rory in the role).

You sort of just answered your own question, giving five examples of changes.

But there's also the scene with Cersei and Tommen, which arguably could have happened in the book story, since we didn't have Cersei's POV at that point, but actually goes quite against Cersei's characterization in the books, favoring her much more loving-mother attitude in the show.

But there's also the scene with Cersei and Tommen, which arguably could have happened in the book story, since we didn't have Cersei's POV at that point, but actually goes quite against Cersei's characterization in the books, favoring her much more loving-mother attitude in the show.

No Cersei and Tommen could not happen in the book due Cersei sent Tommen out of KL to Rosby in ACOK.

I forgot about that one, so there may have been many more that I had forgotten, though one of those changes had nothing to do with GRRM.

Even though that cersei/tommen scene wasn't possible in the book. I actually think it was something that book cersei would have totally done tbh if tommen was there with her during black water

Archived