[Spoilers] HBO's True Detective discussion thread

Mark Antony

Who was the man they said died in 2010? Tuttle? Was he the church man who was cousin to the Governor? Why did Cohle return to the religious school where they talked to the lawnmower guy? Love the show, but the accents are a bitch to comprehend.

Great episode, as always, this show can set a tone like no other.

hi,

I an enchanted by this show. Like some of the people posting here, I appear to share some traits with rusty Cohle. unfortunately, not so many of the good ones....LoL.

I enjoy reading your posts- I appreciate your help in understanding what is going on in the various scenes.

Like many of you, I see the Harts children as somehow being aware of the sexual aspect of the cult- I think that Maggies parents must be involved as who else would interact with the children ? not saying that the gp are doing anything with their grandchildren- the grandchildren may have been there while something was going on.

I do believe that Rusty and Marty are still doing something together. Hart is forever changing the subject when he is asked a direct question and minimizing their concerns. he did this when asked about Cohle: Hart suddenly started talking about his own father , marines and whatnot. He also did this when told about the 'coincidence" of his father not even living in Alaska for 30 years.. " is that all " or something like that..

His evasive answers deflect attention away from the topic.

I saw his comment of " coon hunting " as being a deliberate attempt at antagonizing Papineau specifically: Hart recognized that Gilbough is the more seasoned 'box man " and would let it slide but at least it owuld get a rise out of Papineau.

that comment is racially charged so Hart must have realized that what he said may have been seen different. I didn't see him as being oblivious to that stuff

I think Hart actually called them " young studs " - again just to get them going.

There's so many layers to this show.

the underlying subject is louisiana itself: the bleakness of it mixed with it's beauty. astonishing and captured so fully by the director.

Then there is conspiracy at every turn.

Martin admits to be a shit cop when he tells his buddies about getting a blowjob after pulling the woman over. He's a bad cop right from the start. He accepts a bribe in order for the woman to beat her ticket.

NP doesn't have much nice to say about Louisiana politics / government or police.

( edited in- my cursor deleted an entire sentence )

and religion is there as a pacifier/ nullifier to cover them all up. keep everyone nice and warm against the realities , like a nice warm blankie soother. end edit

the entire thing seems to be an indictment against all of this.

The cops who did the canvassing were DRUNK by noon hour. They spent their time drinking at a bar ( strip joiint?).

Marty drives around drunk- flashing his badge where/when needed.

tHe police seem in cahoots with the local church groups since they " contribute to charity in god's name " or whatever. the implication being that they will cover the churches ass in this situation simply because they do good in some other aspect. as if one covers up the sins / crimes of the other aspect.

there's others but that's enough.

EVerything seems up for grabs in Louisiana.

and an 'outside' has to come in to pull back the curtains on it all.

The school is one of a few that were under the church Tuttle was head of, no?

Pretty sure that's the case.

His evasive answers deflect attention away from the topic.

I saw his comment of " coon hunting " as being a deliberate attempt at antagonizing Papineau specifically: Hart recognized that Gilbough is the more seasoned 'box man " and would let it slide but at least it owuld get a rise out of Papineau.

that comment is racially charged so Hart must have realized that what he said may have been seen different. I didn't see him as being oblivious to that stuff

Interesting take - it does make sense he may have said that as a distraction. I'm trying to remember what they were talking about when he threw that one in.

Also, sorry to repeat myself (although searching through the thread, I can't find my post any more) but for those who've read the showrunner's book "galveston" I was wondering if it's set in the same "world" as true detective as I'm pretty sure Rusty mentioned that's where his dad was? Could easily be a co-incidence but thought it would be a nice easter egg if they are connected.

one thing I can't understand is the 'drawing " of reggie ledoux. Why don't they have a real picture of the guy? he was in custody so they would have taken a picture of him. But during the meeting, the only depiction of him is what appeared to be a drawing - a pencil drawing. my memory is shaky on that one but I thought it was weird.

I know that it's probably a plot device so that we really don't know him if he is put into an early scene. But it seemed strange that the only picture of him is not one taken by a camera.

so in the show, was there a picture of Reggie shown anywhere that clearly has his facial features.

Interesting take - it does make sense he may have said that as a distraction. I'm trying to remember what they were talking about when he threw that one in.

it may be just me: sometimes I think that I am more aware of evasive answering than other people. the people who do it tell me that they don't realize that they are doing it.

so Maybe I see it when it's not there.

I do enjoy how the director/writer is showing the differnce between Gilbough and Papineau- Papineau is almost beside himself to get at Rusty and Hart. or Heart and Soul. maybe it changes later on.. don't know.. but that apparent indifference seems natural to Gilbough and forced with Papineau.

So for all of Hart's comments about Rusty being a great box man ( I was good but he was better )- Hart seemed able to figure out which one would take the bite with his comments.

took me a while to read everything in this thread. I skipped over the mild internal drama between a couple of members here.

about the story devices that further the narrative: I ignored them.

one of the most glaring one was how Hart got into the biker bar on the Bayou ( sounds like a CCR song ) .

" I'm here to see if an AA buddy is in here " or " Im looking for a friend ".

well.. i laughed out loud on that one as it's pretty thin.

as if...

" oh yeah? sure.. come in.. look around.. . and while you're at it, please walk into the back room where you ain't allowed !"

but he had to get in there somehow to see Cohle leaving on down the river.

as otherwise he may not have figured out in time, if at all, that he was no longer there .

so all the glaring errors that were outside my suspension of disbelief: in the voice of Cohle when he was talking about doing 8 balls :

" I ignored that shit.. oh yeah!"

I kept thinking that the woman they found in 2012 was going to be harts daughter. But now I'm thinking she goes missing or dead back in 2002 or thereabouts.

Not thrilled that women are always the victims and sex objects. Oh well. Same with Marty hitting his daughter. Quite the piece of shit he is.

Subtitles help tremendously in this show. You're in car cosa now was quite clear.

I would also think the new detectives would have pc for a warrant on cohle. Him showing up at the crime scenes should be enough for that.

Crackpot: kinda curious that Marty was able to find ledouxs place after losing the tail. Kind of interesting that Marty executes the only person that knew more about anything before he gets taken.

Also, ginger is still in that ditch somewhere, isn't he?

Well, that's the thing. Whether your agree/disagree with Cohle's monologues is a matter of personal philosophy, which means that it's obviously going to cause a wildly huge division among viewers. I happen to be someone who agrees with a lot -- though not all -- of Cohle's philosophy. But really, that's missing the point. To me, it's clear that the intent of the show is in no way to convince people that Cohle's viewpoint is correct. It's texture for a character, like any other. It is purely character development. Yes, he happens to have a lot of monologues -- he's also basically the main character. To me, watching this show and criticizing it because Cohle goes on about his opinions regarding life and existence is like hating on There Will Be Blood because the movie focuses on a character with a distinct (and distasteful) philosophy on life. It's conflating the writer with the work, on zero evidence.

I may be somewhat biased having read the creator/writer's novel, Galveston, which was very good and also had NONE of Cohle's philosophy whatsoever. I mean to me it's just clearly character development. Period. It's how Cohle is. If anything I think people hate on it because what he says bothers them personally.

+1

Pizzolatto said, "I wouldn’t want any viewers to assume we had some nihilistic agenda, or reduce Cohle to an anti-natalist or nihilist. Cohle is more complicated than that. As I’ve said recently, Cohle may claim to be a nihilist, but an observation of him reveals otherwise. Far from “nothing meaning anything” to him, it’s almost as though everything means too much to him. He’s too passionate, too acutely sensitive, and he cares too much to be labeled a successful nihilist. And in his monologues, don’t we detect a whiff of desperation akin to someone who protests too much? When Cohle speaks of the unspeakable, is it with the same illusory perspective as when Hart speaks about the importance of having rules and boundaries? Perhaps that is what Hart references when he tells Cohle in episode 3, “You sound panicked.”

That doesn’t lessen the potential validity of the ideas he expresses, and that is what I finally think is disturbing about the show so far. It’s not the serial killer that’s unsettling; television shows you far worse than that all the time. What unsettles are the aspects of being human which the show chooses to highlight."

Archived