February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

In an odd coincidence, I'm finishing Embassytown. Why oh why do I not remember that I don't like most of China Miéville's books and read more of them anyway?

Don't get me wrong because I really like you. But I've noticed that our goodreads ratings are almost perfectly opposite. If you ever need a rec, I can tell you some books I hated.

Does it have a conclusive ending? I've seen Sand getting a fair bit of praise but I'm wary of Howey's series after how disappointing the sequels to Wool were.

Yes. Very conclusive - and satisfying, IMO. I liked the ending a lot.

Now, I'm not sure if more books are planned or not. The door is certainly left open for books, but I have no idea if that is the plan or not. The book completely works as a standalone though and the ending is pretty beautiful - if telegraphed, like I said earlier.

If the book had just been a little bit tighter, I would have loved it. But, part of it dragged (and just a little, the whole book was only 280 pages or so) but 85-90 percent of it was just great.

Don't get me wrong because I really like you. But I've noticed that our goodreads ratings are almost perfectly opposite. If you ever need a rec, I can tell you some books I hated.

Don't feel bad Al, Eponine and I have never seen eye to eye, or hell, species to species on books. She's still nice to me when she has to be.

I just picked up the Emperors Blades by Brian Staveley.

I am so fucking sick and tired of seeing characters grow up and go through training montages. I honestly could not give a hot shit about how they feel when they are a teenager, and I don't care that their sword instructors whip them to death. Don't get me wrong, Staveley has a very captivating prologue and great prose, but this convention of constantly devoting huge sections of books to this sort of thing does not appeal on any level. Rothfuss's books are a particular problem for me because of this very reason. Maybe as a 35 year old man I can't really associate myself with a 17 year old anymore, but mostly its because I don't give a shit to see them have sex or fall in love for the first time.

Gods, so fucking stupid.

A Canticle For Liebowitz-Walter M Miller Jr.

It's a classic no doubt if a teensy bit dated. The cynical humour, superb dialogue (the merits or otherwise of euthanasia being a particular highlight) and cyclical nature of humanity/civilisation makes this the best apocalyptic themed novel I've read. Easily surpassing works like The Road or The Day Of The Triffids(which I liked very much).

Next on to We Have Always Lived In The Castle-Shirley Jackson.

I just picked up the Emperors Blades by Brian Staveley.

I am so fucking sick and tired of seeing characters grow up and go through training montages. I honestly could not give a hot shit about how they feel when they are a teenager, and I don't care that their sword instructors whip them to death. Don't get me wrong, Staveley has a very captivating prologue and great prose, but this convention of constantly devoting huge sections of books to this sort of thing does not appeal on any level. Rothfuss's books are a particular problem for me because of this very reason. Maybe as a 35 year old man I can't really associate myself with a 17 year old anymore, but mostly its because I don't give a shit to see them have sex or fall in love for the first time.

Gods, so fucking stupid.

And maybe its becuase the one in this book is three hundred pages long, repetitive as hell, and so tranparent that I knew what was going to be next each step of the way. (Wasn't a big fan of this one)

Took me the whole February to read the fifth book in the Nicollo series "The Unicorn hunt" by Dorothy Dunnett. An astonishing amount of detailled characteres with a great storyline. Unfortunately Dunnet´s writing is so complex, that I got some serious headaches ...

Therefore, I read some graphic novles and comics, including "Fantastic Four: The end" (mediocre), Punisher: Welcome back Frank (lots of fun) and Marvels (dated, though a little gem).

Archived