February Reads! Winter Is Here!

Ghjhero

I finished Brandon Sanderson's The Well of Ascension. I thought it was an entertaining epic fantasy although I preferred the first book in the series. Although there were predictable elements to the plot I did think there were some good plot twists as well. Although the action scenes in the series are distinctive they are starting to get a bit repetitive, there are only so many times I can read about Vin using her superpowers to slaughter comparatively underpowered foes before it starts to get a bit dull.

Now reading Ian Esslemont's Blood and Bone. After a hundred pages there have been two Gods exchanging a cryptic conversation, several immortal beings trying to interfere, one squad of wayward Malazan soldiers and a civilisation of nomadic horsemen on the cusp of a big change in their society, which makes it pretty much a standard Malazan book so far.

I tried reading one of the stories in Viriconium. It didn't go exactly well: http://loopingworld.com/2014/02/03/the-dancer-from-the-dance-john-m-harrison/

I wonder what others think of John M. Harrison...

I liked the Viriconium novels (the first two more than the third), but I found some of the short stories in the omnibus to be virtually incomprehensible. I can't remember anything about that particular story (it was about a decade ago that I read them) but your experience does sound familiar.

In the past few I had aparently lost all interest in SFF books, in fact I can't believe I wasted all that time on them (don't worry it's just another phase.)

Today I strarted Les Miserable, 1,400 pages. It will take me a while but at least I won't worry about what to read next for the time being.

I read Guards! Guards! over the weekend (just now starting the City Watch line of stories) and I started LeGuin's Left Hand of Darkness yesterday evening. I'll read that and then will pick up Men at Arms and Sword and Citadel, the 2nd half of Wolfe's Book of the New Sun.

Nice. The City Watch books are my favorite Discworld, I think, which is somewhat surprising for me as it's not necessarily a focus I usually find interesting.

Almost finished The Book of Fires, and while it has picked up, it's not one of my favourites. A nice, quick read though, and the parts about making fireworks were interesting.

I think I'll start The Night Watch by Sarah Waters next, as I did enjoy Fingersmith, so I have high hopes.

Recently finished Anno Dracula 1918: The Bloody Red Baron by Kim Newman, which I loved. Good atmosphere and a well executed vampire-war-story.

Currently struggling through Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian. Definitely one of my least favourite of the Aubrey-Maturin series.

I'm also just started Anno Dracula 1959: Dracula Cha Cha Ca by Kim Newman, which I'm eager to get into.

Have just given up midway through Forest Mage, book 2 of Robin Hobb's Soldier Son Trilogy. Nicely enough written and all that, but just about the dullest book/series I've ever read.

Next up is Mike Carey's Dead Men's Boots. Should be welcome relief, as there's ne'er a dull moment in the adventures of Felix Castor.

Now I'm finally getting round to starting The Book of the New Sun. I'm expecting big things.

Good luck. From what I gather, you'll either love it or hate it. I was in the "hate it" camp.

I'm currently about a third of the way through Belly of the Bow by KJ Parker. I'm liking it so far. Her writing style is so... different. It's enjoyable, but seems to lack "soul," for lack of a better term.

Anyway, I am finding it interesting that in the first book of the series, one of the characters went the entire book without her name ever appearing. And now, a third of the way through the second book, it looks like she is doing the same thing with a different character. I suppose there's some deep meaning behind this, but it's eluding me at the moment.

I'm currently about a third of the way through Belly of the Bow by KJ Parker. I'm liking it so far. Her writing style is so... different. It's enjoyable, but seems to lack "soul," for lack of a better term.

A fair description, although I love Parker's style. A word I would use is clinical, without being dull. Enjoy!

I finished The Eye of The World over the weekend, currently waiting on a copy of The Great Hunt from my library. I might start a reread of The Lord of The Rings as I did reread The Hobbit over the summer.

Also, still working my way through all of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. I've got an e-book that has them all in chronological order, and the last I read was "Ex Oblivione" which is part of the Dream Cycle.

Three books are on my shelf right now:

Daniel Tammet - Thinking in numbers (thanks to a recommendation of another person on this board)

Carsten Stroud - Niceville

Tad Williams - To Green Angel Tower, pt. 1

Please let me know what you think of TGAT 1/2 when you finish it.

I just started The Briar King by Greg Keyes from a random Goodreads recommendation. Not loving it so far (I'm about 20% in), as the writing isn't great and so far is Cliche Fantasyland. But hopefully it will improve. Sometimes it takes me a little while to switch gears, and I haven't been in fantasy mode for a few books now.

Almost finished The Book of Fires, and while it has picked up, it's not one of my favourites. A nice, quick read though, and the parts about making fireworks were interesting.

I think I'll start The Night Watch by Sarah Waters next, as I did enjoy Fingersmith, so I have high hopes.

I know it's juvenile of me, but the first thing that comes to mind when I see "fingersmith" makes me giggle.

Just finished Irving's A Prayer For Owen Meany. Staggeringly good, deeply affecting, the sort that most of us read only a few of in a lifetime.

I read that book years ago. I don't remember much about it but it was very, very moving.

I've recently read Vicious Circle by Mike Carey which was great. It reminded me quite a bit of an early Dresden Files book, even more so than the first book did. Then I read both X-O Manowar Volume 2: Enter Ninjak and Volume 3: Planet Death.

I'm now reading Woken Furies by Richard Morgan, the final book in the Takeshi Kovacs trilogy. After that I plan on finishing two more trilogies with By Blood We Live by Glen Duncan and Empress of the Sun by Ian McDonald.

ETA: @SkynJay did you know there's another Martin Millar werewolf book out this month? I still haven't read the second. How was it? I would have posted this in the Werewolf Fiction thread, but it has been delete, of course.

Archived