Would Cersei have believed that she had Ned as a pawn if she had seduced him?

Hajk

Cercei simply doesn't know better: it's her M.O. to try to seduce almost every man she perceives to be possible asset or threat. Jaime, Lancel, Ned, Stannis in case he conquered KL, all 3 Kettleblacks...the list just goes on.

Character that constantly complains how Westerosi women are repressed does nothing to impose herself as strong and independent leader she aspires to be, instead preferring to essentially prostitute herself in order to see her biding done. Honestly, can anyone ever imagine Dany rewarding her bloodriders with her body? Or Catelyn promising sex to Ned's guards if they do her dirty work? Or Asha letting their crew have her way with her as a means of congratulating them (her relationship with Qarl notwithstanding, as she clearly has genuine feelings for him)? I certainly can't.

Back to OP's question - Cersei would have probably gotten rid of Ned as soon as she secured Joffrey's position.

She would have blackmailed him to turn in his hand and leave for winterfell, or she'd tell Robert.

I assume.

Wouldn't this have been suicidal? She would effectively confessing her own guilt as well.

Well, depending how convincing Ned could be, she might actually believe she'd successfully seduced him / gained some sort of advantage over him. She's arrogant enough to think she is that damn attractive, where every man (except gay Renly or joyless Stannis) would be enthralled.

Well she is attractive, and she would not be wrong in thinking that Ned could find her so. In fact in the very same conversation we have

She sat beside him on the grass. Her every move was graceful. Her curling blond hair moved in the wind, and her eyes were green as the leaves of summer. It had been a long time since Ned Stark had seen her beauty, but he saw it now. "I know the truth Jon Arryn died for," he told her.

"Do you?" The queen watched his face, wary as a cat. "Is that why you called me here, Lord Stark? To pose me riddles? Or is it your intent to seize me, as your wife seized my brother?"

"If you truly believed that, you would never have come." Ned touched her cheek gently. "Has he done this before?"

"Once or twice." She shied away from his hand. "Never on the face before. Jaime would have killed him, even if it meant his own life." Cersei looked at him defiantly. "My brother is worth a hundred of your friend."

If you look primarily at the bolded words it almost seems like a liaison between lovers. Curios word choice by Martin.

Remember this is Ned's POV. Cersei might have noticed his regard/appreciation.

Not quite. Cersei's offer came before Robert was hurt. Renly's offer came when Robert was about to die, and Renly offer wasn't treasonous. He simply offered Ned to secure his status as Protector, because he knew that a piece of paper would not do it.

Hmm... okay. I guess that could be said here. But LF's option was still treasonous. And Ned did feign Robert's will which is arguably treason (or not-- depending on how one defines it).

Well she is attractive, and she would not be wrong in thinking that Ned could find her so. In fact in the very same conversation we have

If you look primarily at the bolded words it almost seems like a liaison between lovers. Curios word choice by Martin.

Remember this is Ned's POV. Cersei might have noticed his regard/appreciation.

The first time I read AGoT and I first got to that part I thought that Cersei and Ned were lovers.. but then I changed my mind as the conversation went on

Neddard totally should have jammed his northerner in the queen after pretending to succumb to her charms, all the while knowing he'd ultimately be the one seducing her into the light. If all went according to plan she'd break down and cry during their tryst after being exposed to real lovemaking for the first time ever in her life with someone normal. That'd reconnect her to human empathy, replacing whatever rot passes for normal everyday Cersei emotions, and she'd realize she needed to make changes in her life and in the rearing of her son Jabroni Joffrey. That's right, this would have made Ned's dingus the Lightbringer* of prophecy.

* (omitted: there'd be a burning sensation the next time he tried to pee).

Archived