Why do people think duck did not earn his cloak?

Wmarshal

Connington only had reservations because the Kingsguard are traditionally the greatest knights in the realm, famous heroes. Duck is competent, but just a hedge knight. This is not elitism on Connington's part, he's just acutely aware of the elitism in Westerosi society. Famous knights will win Aegon support, unknown hedge knights will not, no matter how good they are.

Connington only had reservations because the Kingsguard are traditionally the greatest knights in the realm, famous heroes. Duck is competent, but just a hedge knight. This is not elitism on Connington's part, he's just acutely aware of the elitism in Westerosi society. Famous knights will win Aegon support, unknown hedge knights will not, no matter how good they are.

It's hard to say whether Connington is right (and he's known Duck for some time, so it's not a snap judgment), or just arrogant and dismissive (which he tends to be).

Some credit to Duck - he can't be worse than Meryn Trant or Boros Blount.

I meant the posters, I really needed to be more clear in my posts.

I never really see anyone ever talk about how he did not earn it... so unless I am missing something...?

I think his loyalty is unquestionable and he has seemed to have helped/trained Aegon, so he has earned it in that sense.

Many posters question it as a vain and fool hearty choice.

I haven't seen anyone ever saying that.

Anyways it was a good and smart move on Aegon's side, and it's not different than Dany appointing Jorah or Egg naming Dunk.

I haven't seen anyone ever saying that.

Anyways it was a good and smart move on Aegon's side, and it's not different than Dany appointing Jorah or Egg naming Dunk.

If you actually (gasp, choke) believe that last, try thinking thru what what we know of Ser Duncan and what he must have done to make himself the great Knight who became Lord Commander of the Kings Guard. He was not a bright man but he was a man of honor and of deep moral commitment. Jaime mentions him with a certain awe in that passage in ASoS where he is updating the White Book.

Archived