If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Dany Equals Big Bad

Quentyn is a means to show how fickle and immature Dany really is. She should have welcomed Quentyn and his Darnish alliance with open arms, ditched Hizdar and GTFO of Mereen. But alas, Dany is Dany and Quentyn didn't strike her fancy so the Mereneese knot tightened.

Well can't say she's proven immature by turning away Quentyn.Thus far Dany's following the hard path in order to achieve her goals.I believe the immature thing should have been to simply pick the dornish offer and ride off to Westeros immediately.As for the purpose of his storyline,well Quentin gave us some clear information about where Dorne stands and their purpose plus he created a nice havoc

Well can't say she's proven immature by turning away Quentyn.Thus far Dany's following the hard path in order to achieve her goals.I believe the immature thing should have been to simply pick the dornish offer and ride off to Westeros immediately.As for the purpose of his storyline,well Quentin gave us some clear information about where Dorne stands and their purpose plus he created a nice havoc

I agree with you. Dany gave up her dreams to rule. And it worked. She achieved peace. It was very mature of her.

I don't think I'm making any huge literary jumps, but Jon and Dany are clearly parellel.

Jon and Dany are both young and inexperienced, but both gave up their dreams (being a Stark, going home) to rule a conquered enemy (Wildlings, Meereen). They took in child hostages and "married" a foe (Hizdahr, Tormond) to keep the peace. They put too much trust is some people because of sexual attraction (Daario, Val), but in the end, they were successful. They achieved peace despite huge battles looming nearby (Yunkai and Winterfell). That is, peace until a mysterious item arrives of unknown origin (the honeyed locusts, the pink letter) that is designed to create chaos. They are exiled and....TWoW.

So, the question is. Does Quentyn have a parellel as well?

I don't think anything is one-to-one, but I think there may be a couple.

Quentyn's marriage pact = Robb's will. Dany had a chance to go home with the Qarth ships and passed it up just as Jon passed up Stannis's offer at being a Stark. They offers were just not right. They came with conditions. Quentyn's offer is a second chance, but it's a stale piece of paper. I think there are those in the North who know about Robb's will, but it too will be a stale piece of paper.

Quentyn accidently lets out the dragons = someone (Mance?) accidentally letting in the Others.

More fuel for my Quentin lives fantasy

In the Tyrion chapter that was released in the GOT app, which I have only read a synopsis of somewhere here on the forums.

Viscerion shows up briefy, grabs a (flaming?) body from the air or sets it on fire? - a pale mare corspe being catapulted over the walls & drops it on the enemy.

Pretty astute for a dragon and contray to a "natural" instinct to burn & devour.

But maybe something he "got" from his rider. So, I might have picked the wrong dragon for him to bond with but my idea is still the same.

No way is GRRM gonna give 2 dragons to Vic. 1 horn = 1 dragon

Hence the need for someone, disposible??, to bond with a dragon.

I have absolutely no reasoning for this but from the first time I read a Quentyn POV I believed that Quentyn was actually Drink & vice versa.

Well, Drink is definitely hiding something. Barristan thinks of him as a "false coin."

There's first a "pirate" attack that leaves him in charge, then he suspiciously leads the crew in Volantis to the Windblown (who seem to have connections to the Golden Company) and then the Wildblown spontaneously allow the Westerosi to defect to Dany.

It's like he's weirdly guiding the group to Dany, but sabotaging the plan at the same time.

I'm not sure if I buy that Drink = Quentyn, but.....

A big hero of the Blackfrye rebellion was Quentyn Ball who died by an arrow when he stopped to take a drink of water.

However, Drink is blonde with blue eyes (not very Martell) and is too old to be Quentyn.

• 1 month later...

I have this strange feeling that Quentyn might be alive. There's an interesting topic on the forums called "the-dragon-rider-adwd-spoilers" and I must say that it makes sense once you read all of it and give it a thought. The guy called "Fearsome Fred" points out some interesting facts in there.
There's gotta be more to it, I just know it.
GO QUENTYN!

I have this strange feeling that Quentyn might be alive. There's an interesting topic on the forums called "the-dragon-rider-adwd-spoilers" and I must say that it makes sense once you read all of it and give it a thought. The guy called "Fearsome Fred" points out some interesting facts in there.

There's gotta be more to it, I just know it.

GO QUENTYN!

Barristan is known for his dishonesty and inability to recognize dead bodies.

Barristan is known for his dishonesty and inability to recognize dead bodies.

Well he was burnt beyond recognition, that doesn't prove much, sure, but remember how his comrades were imprisoned? Both of them seem to be hiding something.

Now when it comes to Barristan, quoting Fearsome Fred :

" It has been argued that the first chapter of Barristan’s final POV chapter (“The Queen’s Hand”) confirms Quentyn’s death, as it is stated in the Third-Person Omniscient perspective:

The Dornish prince was three days dying.

One obvious objection to this is that the chapter is from Barristan’s POV. Barristan believes the dying man is Quentyn, so the chapter reflects that belief."

You should check that topic I've mentioned up there, I have no interest in starting a brawl.

someone was burned to death by dragons.... probably Quentyn

I suppose it could be the wrong body

I suppose that one of the other two of the three could have been the real Quentyn but i don't think his POV's support that it would take some careful reading

Most likely the sun rose in the west and set in the east

someone was burned to death by dragons.... probably Quentyn

I suppose it could be the wrong body

I suppose that one of the other two of the three could have been the real Quentyn but i don't think his POV's support that it would take some careful reading

Most likely the sun rose in the west and set in the east

Something weird is up.

Quentyn's POV ended oddly. Then, when Archie and Drink retold the story, they went vague right at that moment again.

So, GRRM is hiding something from us intentionally.

Maybe Quentyn rode a dragon out. Maybe he hid in the cave that the dragons dug in the side of the pit.

Now, to address the topic of the thread, what's next?

Well, I don't think Doran ever expected the plan to actually work. Doran expected failure and achieved success. Quentyn may have to face and undo his father's evil plans.

Well, I don't think Doran ever expected the plan to actually work. Doran expected failure and achieved success. Quentyn may have to face and undo his father's evil plans.

I like the idea of Quentyn opposing his father, sounds plausible.

I like the idea of Quentyn opposing his father, sounds plausible.

I love Quentyn (and Drink and Arch) and really hope he's alive and will screw up Doran's evilness. I'm not sure how such a horrid man like Doran had three kids who were all good people. Oberyn had a bunch of crazy daughters who are psycho just like him. How did Doran get three good apples?

I love Quentyn (and Drink and Arch) and really hope he's alive and will screw up Doran's evilness. I'm not sure how such a horrid man like Doran had three kids who were all good people. Oberyn had a bunch of crazy daughters who are psycho just like him. How did Doran get three good apples?

I wouldn't say he's necessarily evil, he just lost alot up to this point. Desperate times call for desperate measures, and seeing as how his previous plan of marryng Arianne to Viserys failed he had to do something about it. Quentyn was his only option.

Does that make him a bad father, I wouldn't say so. Quentyn as a son had alot to live up to and in the end that probably cost Quent his life ( Hopefully not )

Quent is the most ordinary character I've stumbled upon in the books and that's why I love him so much, an underdog facing unbeatable odds. Average in everything but one thing and that's his courage. Some may say that his last act was foolish, trying to tame a dragon, but in the end if you risk nothing, you gain nothing. Sometimes in order to be brave you've gotta be foolish and act emotionally.

Theres no way he could be alive after getting roasted like a pig by Rhaegal. Like the poster above posited, if his idiocy of attempting to release Dany's dragons does not reach Dorne, but Dorne believes he was killed intentionally then this is likely to sour the so-called alliance between the Martell's and the Targaryens.

Theres no way he could be alive after getting roasted like a pig by Rhaegal. Like the poster above posited, if his idiocy of attempting to release Dany's dragons does not reach Dorne, but Dorne believes he was killed intentionally then this is likely to sour the so-called alliance between the Martell's and the Targaryens.

When we find out Quentyn is alive in TWoW, I am going to e-mail every single one of you and say "nah, nah, Quentyn is alive!"

If Quentyn is alive, what will he do in the WoW?

Isn't that obvious?

Die of those horrible burns he got in ADwD. Just a little later than Barristan & co. thought, perhaps he kept on living for another few hours before succumbing to the wounds. Or maybe TWoW will begin some time before ADwD ends, so there is some overlap.

Either way, he's toast. Or worse, he's a microwaved tomato. Once you burn more than ~9% of your body surface, to any degree, you're screwed big time. Quentyn got a full-body treatment of third-degree burns. It's amazing he stayed alive for as long as he did.

Hey everyone, first time posting.

Ok, I was a little annoyed at Quentyn's death in book 5 so i subscribe to the theory that he will somehow come back. Either via body switch or resurection by a red Priest, probably Moqorro. This is mostly because I would like to believe George was not wasting 200 pages on a character that was just going to burn to death, even if it will likely cause Dorne to stop backing Dany.

But does anyone have ideas as to what kind of role Quentyn would have if he survived?

I actually think his chapters were beautifully written and stand on their own. They offer some more back story, give a little more insight into the Martell clan, and reminds us that POV characters are canon fodder too. Besides, we've seen the body. That's always the rule, no body, not for sure dead.

"Quentyn dies in Daenerys Targaryen's bed four days later covered in burns. Upon seeing the extent of the prince's injuries, Ser Barristan thinks it would have been better if Rhaegal had just eaten him alive."

Archived