Small Questions v 10023

Stubby

PLEASE REPORT THE THREAD WHEN IT REACHES 400 POSTS. THANK YOU.

I could not identify any outstanding questions from the previous thread. However, as usual, if one sees something that still needs addressing, feel free to reproduce the question here.

Does anyone know if there is any mention of Robert cutting himself on the throne? Like there is for Aerys and Joff?

Not exactly a cut but(no pun intended):

“I swear to you, sitting a throne is a thousand

times harder than winning one. Laws are a tedious business and counting coppers is worse. And

the people... there is no end of them. I sit on that damnable iron chair and listen to them complain

until my mind is numb and my ass is raw. They all want something, money or land or justice.

The lies they tell... and my lords and ladies are no better. I am surrounded by flatterers and fools.

It can drive a man to madness, Ned.

Who is considered the best archer in the Westeros?

Hmm, I don't recall people in the books discussing the best archers they know, but at the Tourney of the Hand Anguy took home the first price, so he must be pretty good.

That afternoon a boy named Anguy, an unheralded commoner from the Dornish Marches, won the archery competition, outshooting Ser Balon Swann and Jalabhar Xho at a hundred paces after all the other bowmen had been eliminated at the shorter distances.

Hmm, I don't recall people in the books discussing the best archers they know, but at the Tourney of the Hand Anguy took home the first price, so he must be pretty good.

That afternoon a boy named Anguy, an unheralded commoner from the Dornish Marches, won the archery competition, outshooting Ser Balon Swann and Jalabhar Xho at a hundred paces after all the other bowmen had been eliminated at the shorter distances.

This plus:

Alleras(or is it Sarella...)

“The apple,” Alleras said. “Unless you mean to eat it.”

“Here.” Dragging his clubfoot, Mollander took a short hop, whirled, and whipped the apple sidearm into the mists that hung above the Honeywine. If not for his foot, he would have been a knight like his father. He had the strength for it in those thick arms and broad shoulders. Far and fast the apple flew...

...but not as fast as the arrow that whistled after it, a yard-long shaft of golden wood fletched with scarlet feathers. Pate did not see the arrow catch the apple, but he heard it. A soft chunk echoed back across the river, followed by a splash.

Mollander whistled. “You cored it. Sweet.”

Not really mentioned in the novels but the Raven's Teeth were supposed to be some of the best, and Lord Brynden Rivers.

Also

Should I need to put an arrow through the eye of some foe across a

windy battlefield, I summon Squire Dalbridge.

I'm sure there's more but those are all the ones I remember right off.

What ever happened to Toddler aka Toad? He was one of Jon's buddies in Game but do we ever hear abot him afterward?

LC-Jon sends him away from CB in ADWD.

He read the letter from the Shadow Tower again, sharpened a quill, and unstoppered a pot of thick black ink. He wrote two letters, the first to Ser Denys, the second to Cotter Pyke. Both of them had been hounding him for more men. Halder and Toad he dispatched west to the Shadow Tower, Grenn and Pyp to Eastwatch-by-the-Sea. The ink would not flow properly, and all his words seemed curt and crude and clumsy, yet he persisted.

There's something that always kind of bothered me but I don't think it's enough to open a thread about it.

We know Dany was highly proficient High Valyrian user but did she learn the language as a Targaryen tradition (as in all Targs spoke High Valyrian to some degree because it was their mother tongue), or strictly as a result of her travels throughout the Free Cities with her brother?

She travelled the Free Cities, where the speak High Valyrian and also a form of High Valyrian that is unique to each city. Travelling aroundas a child gave her a basic knowledge of such languages. I imagine Willam Darry was also in part responsible for teaching her the basics of the Common Tongue and language of the Free Cities but thats just an assumption.

There's something that always kind of bothered me but I don't think it's enough to open a thread about it.

We know Dany was highly proficient High Valyrian user but did she learn the language as a Targaryen tradition (as in all Targs spoke High Valyrian to some degree because it was their mother tongue), or strictly as a result of her travels throughout the Free Cities with her brother?

Most likely because she was raised in Essos where is the most spoke language, and she will learn it sooner than later.

She learned the common tongue because that was the tongue of her brother, her protector and her country.

Most likely because she was raised in Essos where is the most spoke language, and she will learn it sooner than later.

She learned the common tongue because that was the tongue of her brother, her protector and her country.

She most likely learned High Valyrian because of her travels through the free cities. The Common Tongue she learned from Viserys I guess.

Just to add to what others have said, I can't think of a single Westerosi Targaryen other than Dany who spoke High Valyrian. The wiki claims:

In Westeros, highborn children, specifically the Targaryens, are taught Valyrian as a sign of their noble education.[1][2]

The source links refer to page numbers in Game of Thrones and Storm of Swords that don't match up with my digital copies. Can anyone confirm that statement? When I looked I found that Tyrion and Quenten were taught by their maesters but were never fluent. Most of the guests at Joffrey's wedding didn't understand the language. Sam and Arya know a little. Cersei at least wasn't familiar with Volonqar until someone told her. I dunno I can't find anything about the Targaryens especially holding onto the language as part of their heritage. It seems similar to Latin in the real world. Something the educated learn as a kid and forget by the time they're sixteen.

Why do a lot of people on this board think Aegon is not the real Aegon? Is it just because of the involvement of Ilyrio and Varys or is there something of substance.

In short, The Golden Company prides itself on it's "never-broken-a-contract" reputation, but just did break a contract with Myr so they could support Aegon. The Golden Company was formed by Blackfyre supporters and was basically the Blackfyre army for at least three rebellions. This alone might mean nothing, perhaps they're desperate and Illyrio offered them an exorbitant amount of money. But Illyrio's statements to Tyrion on the subject suggest the Blackfyre connection. "some contracts are writ in ink, and others in blood. I will say no more."

There's also a report of that second Tyrion chapter in Dance from before the book came out:

Haldon says Griff believes there is need for haste. Haldon eyes Tyrion and then begins to speak in another language. Tyrion cannot tell what it is but think it might be Volantene. He catches a few words that come close to High Valyrian. The words he catches are, queen, dragon, and sword.

Now maybe that's a false report or maybe Martin removed that part because he changed his mind, but a lot of people think the sword in question is Blackfyre. Maybe Martin removed it because he thought it made things too obvious to those who had read the Dunk & Egg stories.

There's other evidence, Septon Meribald's Speech about the dragon sign rusting black to red and washing ashore comes to mind. Also the warning to Dany about the Mummer's dragon. Anyway there's plenty of threads discussing this I'm sure you can find.

Not really a question more of a small comment. I am relistening to ASoS in an Arya/Hound chapter where she scratches her name into trees so that BwB might track her. She does it 3 times before the Hound catches her. Wouldn't it be interesting (poignant, sad, etc.) if Lady Stoneheart came across one of those trees with her name scratched in it. Just a thought I had and no one (but this forum) to share it with.

Archived