Iain Glen for TWOW Audiobook

Azor Ahoy!

Not sure if this is place, so feel free to move this around as needed.

Having recently listened to the sample of the audio version of TPATQ, read by Iain Glen, and watched the Battle of Qohor video from the upcoming Season 3 bluray also narrated by him, I feel that Glen would be far better than Roy Dotrice to read the audiobook of The Winds of WInter.

I respect Dotrice and think he's a good narrator, but frankly he's almost 90 IIRC, and his range seems to run the gamut from "senile old man" to "senile old crone". Not a Daenerys or a Jon or a Ygritte. I would think Glen is more versatile than that, and his voice is just amazing.

Of course, considering how long TWOW is going to be (around the same as ASOS or ADWD, according to GRRM) this may not be possible due to his acting career, GoT and other projects.

Of course, if Charles Dance did the audiobook I would pretty much explode with excitement!

• 1 year later...

If Roy Dotrice is unavailable or his voice is just too far deteriorated, then Iain Glen would be a good option. I do wonder if Iain Glen has as many voice variations as Roy Dotrice did...he didn't have to do that many in TRP or TPatQ since it was mostly from the Maester's perspective.

I would just prefer not to have John Lee (AFfC before they got Roy to do another version)...or the guy who narrated The Hedge Knight...his voice was too high pitched...at least the version I have.

BLASPHEMY! Give me Welsh Lannisters or give me death.

Seriously though I love Dotrice but was super annoyed when he changed accents in the ADWD, especially Dany. I saw an interview with him were he was asked his favourite character and he described Aemon but couldn't recall his name... that made me sad =(

I'd sign this petition!

I thought his reading of TPATQ was excellent. I did enjoy Dotrice for the first three books but the accent and pronunciation changes after that was a little jarring. Might not notice so much now that I've not heard the books in about three years though...

I'd also back a joint reading with a female narrator. Works well on other books.

Yes pleas yesyesyesyes

Though TBH he probably won't do it as long as he's still acting in the series - he's one of the actors that chose not to read them. I think for many of the actors knowing exactly where their character is going can make the acting difficult (since they aren't on the journey "with their character" so to say).

Then again it might be that Jorah gets killed in the series, or the series is over before the next book comes out... :(

I think GRRM has said outright that Dotrice is the voice of ASOIAF.

They have a history, are really good buddies, and GRRM has the utmost respect for him.

Unless he is physical incapable, Dotrice will be the voice.

Not sure why people think he can ONLY do old people. Maybe its because his old people voices are like 10/10 (The Old Bear, Dywin with that wet cough? Superb, Old Nan, etc.) but his Theon (Cockney soccer hooligan teenager) and his Arya are still good, like 7/10s.

I mean really, can you read the prolo to dance and tell me Tommen sounds like an old man?

I am a big Dotrice fan but Iain Glen would be aight I suppose. I can't recall any other stuff of his I have heard and there isn't much dialogue to speak of in TPaTQ.

If Doltrice dies (god forbid), have his reanimated corpse narrate the next two books. He's absolutely that good IMO.

Ian Glenn was just okay reading TPATQ. True, that story has significantly less dialog, but all I heard was like he was reading me a bed time story and I'm a grown ass man, I'm not trying to hear that sh*t.

I want Dotrice to do if he wants to and is available. if not, what I would like to see is two narrators - one female and one male. This was done in another audiobook and they would switch chapters depending on how heavy it was on male voices vs female - there was no switching mid chapter and it wasn't jarring. This would work especially well given the PoV structure of the books.

Iain Glen would be a dream, but probably not practical.

Well...I'd certainly love an Ian Glenn reading of Cersei's chapters.

"Jaime and I are more than brother and sister. We are one person in two bodies. We shared a womb together. He came into this world holding my foot, our old maester said. When he is in me, I feel... whole."

That pause!

Archived