The show`s treatment of Rhaegar. (Book Spoilers)

Takiedevushkikakzvezdy

You know what could be cool? If they deliver the backstory in an artistic piece of CGI. Did you watch the last Harry Potter? Remember the clip that explained the Deathly Hallows? That would be pretty awesome IMO.

That would look a bit unrealistic, and not fit the style of the show, since all of Bran`s dreams have been "live action"- sequences.

Not yet... But he will. There is a heart tree in Harrenhall, you know.

That would be in TWoW at the earliest. Which will be season 6? 7? :(

You know what could be cool? If they deliver the backstory in an artistic piece of CGI. Did you watch the last Harry Potter? Remember the clip that explained the Deathly Hallows? That would be pretty awesome IMO.

Yes, that would be cool! That could be while Meera is telling the story to Bran.

Oh! I like that idea a lot. Might be expensive though.

True...

That would look a bit unrealistic, and not fit the style of the show, since all of Bran`s dreams have been "live action"- sequences.

It could be used to supplement it. I agree, they'd need something live action, too.

Not Bran`s wierwood vision, though. Can`t imagine Bran seeing CGI through the wierwood. :D

Not a regular vision. Those will obviously be real. The thing that could be good as CGI is a short 5 minute clip about Robert's Rebellion, with Bloodraven telling the story.

I was listening to the audiobook JonConn chapter where they arrive in Westeros today while I shoveled snow and it reoccured to me just how much he & fAegon are entwined with the legacy of Rhaegar. They pretty much must be introduced on the show and the connection the audience needs is that this is Crown Prince Rhaegar's "son" & former (2nd) best friend, whom was defeted by Bob Baratheon.

The theme of exhiles returned is a good one for them & the GoldenCompany, and once JonConn get greyscale on his fingers he's basically on a suicide mission, laser focused on acting fast and putting his crush's, er , I mean friend's son on the throne.

They will keep Rhaegar relevent until the R+L=J reveal.

Not Bran`s wierwood vision, though. Can`t imagine Bran seeing CGI through the wierwood. :D

Oh no, not that. I just thought maybe we could also get the story of Rhaegar and Lyanna, from Meera's POV (the way she told the story). I think that's important to see, somehow or other, even just her telling the story straight, with Bran's reactions, there was some nice interplay between them there.

This show drops lots of crumbs as it goes. Throw away lines about Greyjoy uncles or Selmy remembering Rhaegar, to stuff like Melisandre predictig Arya's future & them meeting again (may yet occur in the books). With no flashbacks it can be complained there's too much reminiscing in talky scenes (the show making a serious point of upping the action in S4).

The GoT show's technique is having a conversation about a person & then transitioning to that topic/person in the next scene. Like Roose saying Ramsay has his own way of doing things->cut to Ramsay's pork sausage gag in the Dreadfort. Hell they could be blatant & cut from a Selmy/Dany/JonCon talking about Rhaegar scene to the red woman having a profound reaction to lord snow's specialness.

Agreed. Speaking of that, I've noticed the transitioning technique a lot more upon my rewatch of the series. I read all the books last year and decided to rewatch all 3 seasons as a seasoned book reader before the start of S4. The conversation-transition technique happens a lot, and it's very subtle in some ways/leads credence to some theories. One example that is kind of crackpottery is in S1, the scene when Dany and Drogo first have sex willingly, the very next scene is Sandor and Sansa's very first conversation. I thought it was really weird that they'd go from showing that to Sansa of all people. Then there's another scene when Dany looks at her dragon eggs in the chest and the scene directly transitions into Jon at the Wall (hinting at Jon being a dragon himself). Some of them are more obvious than others (i.e. Roose talking about Ramsay), and others are so subtle that it would take a very observant book reader to notice.

I think the show has done a decent job mentioning Rhaegar, but I think a lot of Unsullied have forgotten who Lyanna was. Her statue/the conversation between Ned and Robert was shown early on in the Pilot episode, which was good to do, and the conversation between Robert and Cersei when Robert says he can't even remember what she looked like. And in Season 2 when Bran and co are hiding in the crypts, Bran mentions/points out that that's his Aunt Lyanna's statue and that she was 'adducted' by Rhaegar and that no other women's statues are in there. I don't think Lyanna was mentioned in Season 3 at all though. I'm still hoping for a Knight of the Laughing Tree storytime sequence this season since Bran only has 3 ADWD chapters. They could easily use his story to fill in the blanks of the Rebellion and Lyanna being Jon's mother.

One example that is kind of crackpottery is in S1, the scene when Dany and Drogo first have sex willingly, the very next scene is Sandor and Sansa's very first conversation. I thought it was really weird that they'd go from showing that to Sansa of all people.

Ooooh, very interesting! I like transition theory very much!

I'm still hoping for a Knight of the Laughing Tree storytime sequence this season since Bran only has 3 ADWD chapters. They could easily use his story to fill in the blanks of the Rebellion and Lyanna being Jon's mother.

Yes, let the R + L = J begin. Plus I love the way Meera tells the story, she tells you just enough, and in just the right way, for you to see the story.

Ooooh, very interesting! I like transition theory very much!

Yes, let the R + L = J begin. Plus I love the way Meera tells the story, she tells you just enough, and in just the right way, for you to see the story.

I like the transitioning theory too. So far in the past 2 weeks I've rewatched all of Seasons 1 & 2, and I'm going to start my Season 3 rewatch tonight. I'll post if I see any interesting transitions in S3 that I didn't notice when the episodes first aired, but the Dany Drogo scene directly followed by the Sansa Sandor first conversation really caught my attention; that and the dragon eggs that directly transitioned into Jon at the Wall. The sequencing/transitioning can also be applied to how GRRM arranges chapters in the books; I'm not sure if there's a specific pattern/bigger significance or if I'm just overanalyzing here:

AGoT: Jon's chapters are usually grouped with Catelyn & Ned's

ACoK: Jon's chapters are usually grouped with Catelyn, Arya, & Sansa

ASoS: Jon's chapters are usually grouped with Sansa and Arya's

ADWD: Jon's chapters are usually grouped with Tyrion & Dany's

The sequencing/transitioning can also be applied to how GRRM arranges chapters in the books; I'm not sure if there's a specific pattern/bigger significance or if I'm just overanalyzing here:

Also noticed he does this in AFFC with the Jaime - Brienne - Cersei chapters.

Also noticed he does this in AFFC with the Jaime - Brienne - Cersei chapters.

Great observation! :)

I'm going to continue looking for these clues. It seems like Theon's don't follow a particular pattern. And Sansa's chapters in AGoT are almost always followed/preceded by Ned.

The thing that could be good as CGI is a short 5 minute clip about Robert's Rebellion, with Bloodraven telling the story.

All stories on the show have been told without flashbacks. I don`t see that changing.

He certainly had other worldly beauty, grace, and intelligence, that's for sure.

This sounds a bit Edward Cullen-ish to me. :ack:

All stories on the show have been told without flashbacks. I don`t see that changing.

This sounds a bit Edward Cullen-ish to me. :ack:

If he wore a silverish wig (not blonde, silver damnit!), he'd actually be one of the better suggestions for the part yet, but I even still :ack:

Archived