LotR VS. ASoIaF V2

First of My Name

i dont like the idea of considering something better just because it was first or pioneering. i know im going to get hate, but i dont really like the lotr books (although the movies are awesome). asoiaf is so much more interesting, well-made, and more emotionally involving than lotr imo.

Chuckling Tree,

i dont like the idea of considering something better just because it was first or pioneering. i know im going to get hate, but i dont really like the lotr books (although the movies are awesome). asoiaf is so much more interesting, well-made, and more emotionally involving than lotr imo.

The booka are much bettet than the films. They are different stories in my mind.

• 5 months later...

dunno. martin doesn't do hokey plot-significant numinous objects, so that's an advantage on his end. on the other hand, tolkien's narration is not set in motion by somewhat implausible domestic motivations, unless the ring really is just a metaphor for marital fidelity after all.

There is one reason to rule them all as to why Martin will never beat Tolkien.

And it is this:

While G.R.R Martin created a world to write a story,

J.R.R Tolkien wrote stories to show the world that he had created.

One isn't necessarily better than the other; it all depends one one's taste.

It is not really possible to compare the two. Lotr was written in a world crisis situation were holding to and providing values and morals was a necessity and in the spirit of the times. So Lotr is a fairy tale of black vs white.

Asoiaf is way more modern in a world which is in a way much more subtle and complex and this is felt on the story as well as it is felt on quite all modern fantasy (Hobb, Gemmell (in a way), Erikson...)

And yeah, the dialogue in Lotr is nowhere to compare to the one in Asoiaf, but again, I take Lotr as a fairy tale and characters expressing themselves like in one.

There is one reason to rule them all as to why Martin will never beat Tolkien.

And it is this:

While G.R.R Martin created a world to write a story,

J.R.R Tolkien wrote stories to show the world that he had created.

I had to reread this several times as general that would be a point against Tolkien.

If I want interesting characters and subtle development, I usually don't read fantasy (or most other genre fiction). I wouldn't hold this against ASoIaF, but which characters are really interesting qua character and development? Some bits of Jaime and Tyrion (Prae-DWD), maybe.

(And why the generally horribly written sex scences should count in favor of ASoIaF is also beyond me...)

Archived