LotR VS. ASoIaF V2

First of My Name

ASOIAF is clearly fantasy. A world that doesn't exist. Magic... dragons... the author calla it a fatasy... fantasy. What is there to argue about?

There is no argument. It is just people who like the show or books but don't want to sink to the level of admitting they like fantasy.

Of the major "turning points" of GoT all but Eddard's failure in KL have strong magic/fantasy components: Birth of the Dragons (and before the death of Raego), Wights attacking LC Mormont, Bran's Dreams (maybe not a turning point, but several chapters quite early on).

(Overall I'd still say magic and magical creatures are more plot relevant to ASoIaF than to LotR, despite the ring and the Nazgul. This is neiter pro/con either, but shows the absurdity of claims such that ASoIaF was not fantasy.)

It's really a pity that GRRM did not seriously try to have the year long seasons impact the world. It feels completely tacked-on and is irrelevant for the first 4 books which is disappointing and confusing after having harped "winter is coming" from the first Bran chapter of Book 1. Very probably such an attempt would have implied quite a bit more "everyday magic" to make survival even possible.

• 1 month later...

I like both but ASOIAF takes the cake by a fair margin. IMO, LotR is way over rated. It's constantly being rated as the best fantasy book in all polls etc., though, at least to me, it would be no higher than on 4th or 5th place, and once I get a few more book series that I have on my to read list read, I'm expecting it to fall further.

Archived