Does anyone think what they did to Cersei was unjust?

Joseph Stark

It's difficult when people like to deal in absolutes.

I agree that "all public punishments are a power play" is sort of meaningless. They are all to send a message, of what is tolerated and what isn't, sometimes the particular choice of person is also sending a message.

But the WOS isn't about sending a message to the women of Westeros to cut out extra marital sex. It is about stripping Cersei Lannister of her power.

However, I would tend to agree that a male would not be punished in a sexualized manner or for extra marital sex, so the choice of punishment is a function of the patriarchal society and in that way it is sexist.

Why? Why are you so sure? Also:: does it matter why it was done anyway? The fact that you can be punished for this sends a message in and of itself. Why are we so insistent on getting bogged down on this?

you all can stay WRONG then. the narrative, the themes and GRRM DOES NOT agree with you that the Walk of Shame was a just or deserved punishment. I know I'm right and at the end of the day that's all that matters. plus I don't condone sadistic acts on characters just because i dont like them. NO WOMAN DESERVES THE WALK OF SHAME. the end. I'm not commenting on this thread anymore.

Why? Why are you so sure? Also:: does it matter why it was done anyway? The fact that you can be punished for this sends a message in and of itself. Why are we so insistent on getting bogged down on this?

It matters because, if you have political enemies who want to get rid of you, you can be punished even for simply existing.

It matters why it was done because, if Cersei was punished, as I and some other believe, in order to be removed from power, it means regular women do not actually risk their own WoS.

And we can't talk in terms of whether "you can be punished" for something, because the rule of law in Westeros is a joke. You can be punished for whatever the king/lords want.

Archived