Which character is the "Face" of the show?

D-Shiznit

Emilia is lovely and her career is going well. Also, she's the one with the FREAKING DRAGONS.

"Omg, have you seen HBO's GOT?"

"Yes... they fuck a lot, there are battles and..."

"AND THERE IS A GIRL WHO BIRTHED DRAGONS".

Also, Kit is in the same path, he's going to be in Pompei and How to Train your Dragon 2 (heh). Tyrion gots the fans because of his Golden Globe and now, x-men.

Emilia Clarke is the face of the show and the defacto main character since Sean Bean died. Shes appeared in loads of adverts and on posters advertising the show. I don't see Peter Dinklage getting similar treatment. I don't see his face on posters in my home city.

The main poster of season 3 was the dragon shadow. She's their mother.

There was no dragons in Season 1 and the show wasn't completely known as it is now. Sean Bean was the "main face" because it was Sean Bean.

Dany and Tyrion, Jon has been kind of a letdown. They have altered his story and Kit has a hard time portraying him.

I admit I am not a book Jon fan. Generic male fantasy character 101 does not interest me. But I think Kit comes across as sulky rather than deep and brooding as I imagine Jon is supposed to be like; because thats just the thing dark haired fantasy heroes do.

You could actually argue that to some degree, Robb was probably becoming the face of the show, at least in the minds of the Unsullied. 3x09 changed all of that of course. Its actually an interesting discussion, and says a lot about the show's PR. It'll be interesting for example, whether Dany remains the unequivocal "face" of the show as her character moves into more morally ambiguous territory. I'm hoping to see a surge in charisma from Kit Harrington this season, as his role will only grow. Cersei is another interesting one, as they have actively expanded her role in the show from day one, thrusting her into the limelight.

When I think of the actual GOT posters I saw featuring character faces last year, I recall Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, and Robb; perhaps a bit of Jon. I don't recall any Joffrey posters, but he's certainly claimed the Big Bad Villain spotlight.

As for "heroes", I think Dany and Tyrion are fairly well-matched in terms of Unsullied popularity, especially among the core male audience (as I recall the GOT audience skews about 60/40 male); Dany is the one they want to sleep with, Tyrion is the one they want to be. Jaime certainly featured heavily in marketing for S3 compared to others, but I don't think he's quite achieved "face" status.

As for Robb stealing some of Jon's thunder: I tend to agree, even though S3 really didn't emphasize the Robb/Cat storyline as much as I thought they would; even in E9, the Red Wedding scenes didn't even take up half the episode, time-wise. I think, though, that GOT has really focused on the "realpolitik" and shunted the Wall storyline into being a secondary or even tertiary one; Jon really hasn't had much to do since S1, he basically chased Ygritte around for most of S2, and the S3 version of "Jon spies on the wildlings" was rather perfunctory; I liked seeing the Jon/Ygritte relationship play out due to the chemistry of the actors, but even that was rather rushed, and all of the Jon angst about it wasn't dwelled upon, all of a sudden they were in the cave being down and dirty, and acting like a happy loving couple, and then all of a sudden Jon has run off, and used one of the cheesiest lines ever about "I have to go home now".

Now, it does seem from the sneak peek and Kit's comments, that Jon will angst about Ygritte more now that he's reunited with Sam, and has someone to talk to. I think one of the issue with dramatizing Jon's story, is that so much of what happens in his chapters consist of internal monologue and brooding, (he really does angst over having to betray the wildlings in general, not just Ygritte), and he really doesn't have people he can trust to share his thoughts with, so without use of actual voice-over, it is hard to really get across what's going on with Jon. I don't think this will be as much of a problem in S4, but what will happen once he sends Sam, Aemon, and other friends/confidants away? I guess Mel and Stannis might take over some of the "exposition device" roles, but he doesn't fully trust Stannis, and he certainly doesn't trust Mel. It makes me wonder if Sam will stay in the picture a tad longer than he did in the books, much like Jorah seems to be hanging around Dany for most of S4, unlike in the books.

Not really, Barristan or Missandei could serve this role for Dany on the show. Theres no actual reason to keep Jorah around. In the books, I'd agree that she is very introvert and doesn't share her personal feelings and Jorah was pretty much the only person who she did to some degree. However, I take her confiding in Irri and Jiqui in the second season in girltalk (Dany NEVER does this in the novels) to be a precedent and I can certainly see this being Missandeis role going forward. I am just disappointed they haven't made more use of Missandei to get some more of Danys internal monologue out.

Absolutely right about Jon. Guy is very much about the internal monologue and it shows. I think they needed somebody with more physical presence than Jon. IMO Kit Harrington gets sulking and brooding mixed up. Hes also quite short compared to most actors in the show.

When I think of the actual GOT posters I saw featuring character faces last year, I recall Dany, Tyrion, Jaime, and Robb; perhaps a bit of Jon. I don't recall any Joffrey posters, but he's certainly claimed the Big Bad Villain spotlight.

On the topic of those posters, the only Game of Thrones poster that I saw in the lead up to S4 (in Sydney) was the Jaime one. Strangely, the season really wasn't advertised very much down here, while there were posters for The Walking Dead and Da Vinci's Demons everywhere.

Another thing that hurt Jon was the audience's beloved reaction to Robb.

To some degree I think it's a deliberate attempt by D&D to keep Jon more low key than he is in the books.

The way Jon's written it's obvious from the first few chapters of AGoT that he is something special. Martin might as well have dressed Rob in a redshirt and Jon in a goldshirt. All the clues to his missing background are introduced very early and then forgotten about, consequently book readers have been expecting a revelation about Jon ever since.

The show is trying the opposite of this, to keep Jon's importance under wraps until it's needed.

Archived