Fashion - Fire and Blood Edition

karaddin

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning and am tired and oversensitive, I had to override myself reading this as "I don't look good in shorter dresses" :p but overridden it is. I really like the first couple and that's actually the kind of length I was wanting to find originally but could never find any that length over here. At least not that were also nice.

We had one. They were merged (not by mod fiat or anything, the person making the new thread just made a collective one). I was exploring the question of whether people wanted to go back to two threads. So far, the only two of us that have spoken up seem to be saying yes.

My goal isn't to interest you in our shit, it's that I don't care about dresses. It's not a problem, just exploring whether separate threads again would be a good idea. Looks like it, so next time it comes up I'll make a thread.

I was making a yoke, Ini. :(

I have purchased a sewing machine, and have begun learning how to sew.

I've made 4 pin cushions, a pillow, a cover for my sewing machine, and am going to attempt some yoga pants this weekend. I have dreams of designing and sewing my own clothes - we'll see how it goes. I am using really easy patterns right now, but so far, I'm progressing nicely. :)

Congrats. I used to sew a lot (I have 2 sewing machines if that says anything), and I did a little theatre costuming as well, and the woman who taught me how sew things that looked handmade rather than homemade taught me to iron and iron some more and iron again, and that's best advice I have is to iron before and after everything you do. And feel free to ask if you have any sewing questions. About designing your own clothes there's a type of pattern called a sloper dress pattern and this type is a basic pattern whose purpose is to be modified into your own creations, so when you get to the point that you feel ready to learn to design your own stuff that might be a good place to start (there are also books you can use to teach how to modify it).

Congrats. I used to sew a lot (I have 2 sewing machines if that says anything), and I did a little theatre costuming as well, and the woman who taught me how sew things that looked handmade rather than homemade taught me to iron and iron some more and iron again, and that's best advice I have is to iron before and after everything you do. And feel free to ask if you have any sewing questions. About designing your own clothes there's a type of pattern called a sloper dress pattern and this type is a basic pattern whose purpose is to be modified into your own creations, so when you get to the point that you feel ready to learn to design your own stuff that might be a good place to start (there are also books you can use to teach how to modify it).

GoSI, thanks so much for the advice. I'm definitely learning to love the iron. It makes sewing so much easier when I already have everything pressed.

Zomg I am totally drooling over those four-house tights from blackmilk. Waaaant!

I realized the other day I hadn't gotten new clothes in ages, so I made an H&M run to pick up some new basic tops. My fashion fu has been lagging lately. Mostly I just wear pajama pants and don't leave my apartment!

I had to get a suit for upcoming job interviews (hopefully anyway!), and since buying a suit off the rack is a total non-option for me, I ordered from one of those questionable online sites that sew you shit in China or something (they don't specify which country it is but reviews said their packages came from China). I once ordered a full length gown from a similar site, and it fit well enough, so hopefully this will at least give me a basic thing to wear. I do have other professional wardrobe clothing, just not a full suit, which one of the recruiters I am working with requires for their hiring conferences.

I had to get a suit for upcoming job interviews (hopefully anyway!), and since buying a suit off the rack is a total non-option for me, I ordered from one of those questionable online sites that sew you shit in China or something (they don't specify which country it is but reviews said their packages came from China). I once ordered a full length gown from a similar site, and it fit well enough, so hopefully this will at least give me a basic thing to wear. I do have other professional wardrobe clothing, just not a full suit, which one of the recruiters I am working with requires for their hiring conferences.

That reminds me, has anyone ever ordered from eShakti? Apparently all of their stuff is customizable in terms of sizing and styling, so if you like a dress but want them to change the sleeves from 3/4 to cap sleeves, or want the length of the skirt changed, in addition to all their other sizing options they can do that for only $7.50 more. They don't have pantsuits but do have some cute jackets and skirts and dresses.

I'll need to check that out when I get home! I've got the exact opposite problem to starkess when it comes to length :lol:

The height options for measurements range from 4'6" to 6'9", so I think you're both safe. :)

That reminds me, has anyone ever ordered from eShakti? Apparently all of their stuff is customizable in terms of sizing and styling, so if you like a dress but want them to change the sleeves from 3/4 to cap sleeves, or want the length of the skirt changed, in addition to all their other sizing options they can do that for only $7.50 more. They don't have pantsuits but do have some cute jackets and skirts and dresses.

I have not, but poking around their site, they have some really cute options. Bookmarked!

I had to get a suit for upcoming job interviews (hopefully anyway!), and since buying a suit off the rack is a total non-option for me...

Have you ever looked at Talbots online? Talbots carries some basic suit separates that come in Tall/Long lengths. I'm 5'-10" and the Talbots Tall/Long pants are just way too long for me so possibly they might be long enough for you?

Have you ever looked at Talbots online? Talbots carries some basic suit separates that come in Tall/Long lengths. I'm 5'-10" and the Talbots Tall/Long pants are just way too long for me so possibly they might be long enough for you?

I second this idea. There's not a huge selection of Tall sizes, but they do have separates, jacket and skirt or pants.

You just missed a great sale, though. I picked up a beautiful Talbots suit for around 70% off. (The sale is still going on, but pickins are mighty slim.)

You might pick up a blazer yet, though, and go with navy blue or black pants.

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi31412&rootCategory=cat90030&catId=cat80008&sortKey=Default&section=Sale&conceptIdUnderSale=cat90030

ETA: If you don't mind laying down over 300 bucks, then you don't have to worry about the sale. You have your choice of colors (all conservative, of course) and all sizes in Tall are in stock. http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?id=prdi29148&rootCategory=cat70008

Down below the picture of the jacket and to the right is a listing of suggestions you might like, and they always show the matching pants there.

The "seasonless wool" is a fantastic fabric. It's the most non-wool-like wool I've ever encountered. Very lightweight. It would be great in warm climes. I'm not wearing mine yet in the icy cold we've had here lately.

Oh, my gods and little fishes. This thread (or Pod) has forced me to peruse the Talbots website, which I had sworn not to do.

Now I've stumbled upon THIS creation of Satan:

http://www.talbots.com/online/browse/product_details.jsp?zoomImage=41061004&id=prdi32416&rootCategory=cat70016&catId=cat80042&sortKey=Default&section=Regular&conceptIdUnderSale=cat70016&rootConcept=

and I can think of nothing else. :bawl: :tantrum:

I second this idea. There's not a huge selection of Tall sizes, but they do have separates, jacket and skirt or pants....

...The "seasonless wool" is a fantastic fabric. It's the most non-wool-like wool I've ever encountered. Very lightweight.

That's what I was thinking of. Basic interview suit in basic colors. And the tall blazer is pretty long - on me it comes down over my butt which is my preference even though I know the 80s are never coming back and that length is not "in". But on someone taller than I am, it would probably end more fashionably near the waist.

Starkess: Banana Republic tall suit pants have a 36" inseam. They have tall jackets and tall skirts, too.

I am self-banned from buying anything new due to this house construction project that keeps getting more and more and more expensive.

Karaddin. I thought for a TINY SECOND you might take it that way, but I also figured you know how much I love you, so you'd know better :p

I want to dress you up like you're my dolly :)

I handled it like I handle everything when I know I'm being irrational... I outsourced my thinking to Brook :p she said it just meant I have legs long enough to pull that style off so I went with that.

Most retail chains with tall sizes go up to 35-36" inseams, whereas I need at least 37". And it's even harder to find a jacket that is proportioned right between sleeves/shoulders/waists. So finding a jacket/pants combo that matches is nigh-on impossible! But I appreciate all of your suggestions. I do find new sites from time to time that help me out. Just last month I found a small site that enabled to get my first ever pajama pants that are long enough!

I think there's maybe five people in the entire world who have upper bodies proportioned exactly right for what you can find in most stores. I'm almost exactly average in build so you'd think I would have no problems finding things that fit me, but there's always something wrong. Things that are wide enough in the shoulders typically have arms that are too long or they are too wide around my torso, and if the arms and torso are good it never fits over the shoulders.

Who are these people they size clothes for?

Archived