NHL 2013-14 - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Mug

Jabronius Maximus

Old thread locked, so here's the new one!

Man the East will be a ridiculous dogfight for the last few playoff spots. There are 11 teams separated by only 8 points, which will make for an exciting stretch to end the season. The Metro division especially is very close.

Also, once again here in Oil Country it's time to check the mock drafts and prospect rankings :(

Impressive win for the U.S. They really seemed to be flying around the ice the whole game. I was especially impressed by the play of David Backes, I don't see the Blues play very often, and haven't seen much of him. Nice to see the scoring spread around, with 5 different goal scorers.

Impressive win for the U.S. They really seemed to be flying around the ice the whole game. I was especially impressed by the play of David Backes, I don't see the Blues play very often, and haven't seen much of him. Nice to see the scoring spread around, with 5 different goal scorers.

It's great to see a team where the best players are actually allowed to play freely. The Phil is absolutely rolling right now.

Oh and there's more Olympic hockey talk in the Sochi open thread.

Yeah that's just terrible news. What's the situation with Vanek then? I'd assume after this they will focus heavily on shipping him before the deadline.

That's what everyone else thinks too. Hopefully we can get a decent 2014 1st round pick in return, but I doubt it. I just hope they don't give up their 2015 first round pick to buffalo. Wouldn't want to lose a chance at drafting McDavid next year, even if he's a little overhyped.

I think this Olympics result was the best thing that could have happened for the Jackets.

All four of the guys we sent over there should be pissed off that they lost on home ice and extremely motivated for the playoff chase. Also, nobody got hurt.

Gabby should be back shortly as well. I wonder if we end up trading him or keeping him.

Tmmrw is the only game since the last time USA/Canada faced that I'll be rooting for Weber not to score

But it'd be perfectly fine if he had a few assists right? :P

That's what everyone else thinks too. Hopefully we can get a decent 2014 1st round pick in return, but I doubt it. I just hope they don't give up their 2015 first round pick to buffalo. Wouldn't want to lose a chance at drafting McDavid next year, even if he's a little overhyped.

I don't think the Islanders will be near the lottery next year, which probably means theyll lose the pick. I haven't been watching them regularly, but from what I've seen they've underachieved this year (and Nabby's injury didn't help). Looking at what a mess the metro division is this year, the Isles might have a shot at the playoffs next year.

What I'm more concerned about is Calgary tanking at just the right time. I have a feeling they'll land McDavid. And he'll proceed to terrorize the Oilers for a decade or more.

So of all possible sources, Boomer Esiason is reporting that Callahan will be traded for Marty SL straight up. Word is that MSL was pissed from the initial Olympic snub and asked for a trade. I dunno if any of this holds any water, I mean MSL doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Also Boomer isn't exactly your typical NHL source either. But apparently the guy is a hockey nut, Ranger die-hard, and he's 4/4 on rumors he's reported. Who knew?

Edit: some sources are saying the Lightning turned down the trade. Good too, because that would be very lopsided (Callahan is a pending UFA, big contract, etc).

Speculation time: To me this seems like the perfect time for Ray Shero to swoop in and work his deadline magic. MSL and Crosby showed nice chemistry in the Olympics, so maybe there's something there.

• 2 weeks later...

So Luongo is headed to Florida. Man Mike Gillis has really fumbled the whole goalie situation. Within a year he has lost his 2 #1 goalies. This is glorious.

Also Tim Thomas and Luongo are now teammates. That'll be interesting.

With Miller and Luongo moved im hoping the teams that needed goalies the most have already made their moves. If the Devils move Brodeur im going to be devastated, he needs to finish his career a Devil.

With Miller and Luongo moved im hoping the teams that needed goalies the most have already made their moves. If the Devils move Brodeur im going to be devastated, he needs to finish his career a Devil.

Minnesota appeared to be the team going hard after him, but they got Bryzgalov on the cheap and might be done dealing. But Twitter is rampant with rumours suggesting today is Marty's last game as a Devil before being shipped off. So who knows...

Probably not going to happen, but I would like the Jets to make a play for a 2nd or 3rd line centre, given that our rookie Scheiffle got his knee busted last night, and may be out for the duration of this playoff run. Jets GM Chevy is a cautious guy, so this is likely not going to happen, but if there are no moves made, I wonder how our chances of getting that last playoff spot would be if we just called up somebody from the minors.

I hear Stamkos is close to returning (I believe he posted an update on Twitter that indicated his return), and the Lightning definitely need a leader now that St. Louis is gone. It'll be interesting to see what happens to both the Lightning and the Rangers as the regular season winds down.

The Blues should be a real threat in the playoffs with Miller.

It should also be interesting to follow Scrivens and Fasth next season, along with whoever the Oilers draft.

Yup Stamkos is back tomorrow night. And Gaborik just got shipped to the Kings in a very reasonable deal. You'd have to think the Ducks will redouble their efforts to get Kesler.

As for the Oilers, it's pretty cool how we ended up with Scrivens and Fasth after starting the year with Dubnyk and Labarbera. There is still a massive hole in the D corps and a lack of size up front, but it's still a tangible improvement.

Also sad to see Hemmer go, was a quality Oiler for a long time. Hope he does well in Ottawa.

It's been a completely crazy trade deadline for goalies, as we apparently won't see Luongo and Thomas play on the same team...

Miller to St. Louis

Halak to Buffalo

Luongo to Florida

Markström to Vancouver

Bryzgalov to Minnesota

Fasth to Edmonton

Dubnyk to Montreal

Thomas to Dallas

Ellis to Florida

:leaving:

Archived