NHL 2013-14 - The Quest for Lord Stanley's Mug

Jabronius Maximus

Jagr became the oldest player to score 60 pts in a season. Seriously the guy is a machine. I don't think he'll ever retire...

One of my all-time favorites hands down. The enthusiasm the guy still shows for the game is awesome. I hope the Devils resign him for next year.

Boston is certainly looking pretty scary right now, but you're really ready to hand them the East? And the only way you see them losing is to a seventh of eight seed?

I would. From the view here in Pittsburgh, it doesn't look too great for the Pens, and I think they're the only team who can really challenge Boston in the East right now. If everything gels for them in a way it really hasn't all season, I think they could do it, but that's not necessarily going to happen. There are a few other teams who might have a really nice streak, I guess, but the Bruins have been consistently strong and playing very, very well together. Pittsburgh seems (I'll admit I haven't caught all of their recent games because I've been working nights) to be relying a lot more on individual actions by star players than really solid offensive work, and it shows when they hit a solid defense.

Plus, Scuderi. Ugh.

edit: I mean, that's not to say that the Pens can't do it. I think they've got a solid chance. I just think that its more likely that Boston wins the East.

Playoffs are always a different beast. I can't remember the last time where all of the favourites made it through to the second round. There's always a huge upset, and it typically involves one of the biggest favourites to make it through. Boston and St. Louis come to mind this year.

Yeah, I mean in the NHL especially, anything can happen.

But I'll be rooting for Boston not because of bandwagoning or anything, but because of Iggy. That dude deserves a Cup as much as anyone in the league.

I can't argue with that. I've always had a lot of respect for him. I was really rooting for him in 04 when the Flames made it all the way to game 7 of the Cup. I still remember the fight him and Vincent L had.

I can't argue with that. I've always had a lot of respect for him. I was really rooting for him in 04 when the Flames made it all the way to game 7 of the Cup. I still remember the fight him and Vincent L had.

Yeah he was a monster throughout those playoffs. And that was one hell of a fight too. If the 'goal that never was' was actually counted in game 6, who knows what could've happened.

But yeah, Iginla and Sakic were my 2 favourite players when I was growing up. It's a shame the Oilers were subjected to their wrath many times a year, being in the same division and all.

Well even without Iginla, Calgary is currently dominating the Oil 8-1. I wouldn't even call this the low point of the season, because the last 7 or so years are all one big low point :(

On the bright side, a 'Lowe Must Go' chant is brewing in the crowd. That really has a nice ring to it. It's a shame how that whole movement hasn't really caught on this season. Kevin Lowe is basically the Matt Millen of the NHL, and needs to go.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if Boston won if that meant Ignila finally won as well. He really deserves another shot, and I was sad when the Pens failed to provide that last year.

Malkin looks like he might finally be over his post olympic funk. 4Gs and, I think, 2As combined in his last two games.

Yeah I wouldn't mind if Boston won if that meant Ignila finally won as well. He really deserves another shot, and I was sad when the Pens failed to provide that last year.

Malkin looks like he might finally be over his post olympic funk. 4Gs and, I think, 2As combined in his last two games.

He missed 11 games, and has a chance to finish 2nd in scoring. That's just absurd. I think that wouldn't lessen Crosby's MVP chances (which should be a lock at this point), but it's crazy how you guys have 2 of the 3 best players in the league, and they'll be around for several more years.

I admit I wondered how much Iginla had left in the tank when he finally came to the Bruins this year, but I am beyond pleased with him now. He is producing a lot of points and seems to be pushing Lucic in particular, who used to loaf a lot during the regular season and wake up in the playoffs.

Last night against Phoenix, Lucic was definitely not loafing. What a game. First time in seven games they were behind, they just took over the last four minutes of the game. What a joy to watch.

He missed 11 games, and has a chance to finish 2nd in scoring. That's just absurd. I think that wouldn't lessen Crosby's MVP chances (which should be a lock at this point), but it's crazy how you guys have 2 of the 3 best players in the league, and they'll be around for several more years.

It is pretty special getting to see those two play together. And I can only salivate when I think of the years they have left together. They just gotta avoid that injury bug which has seemed to plague them both, Crosby especially, the last three seasons or so.

It is pretty special getting to see those two play together. And I can only salivate when I think of the years they have left together. They just gotta avoid that injury bug which has seemed to plague them both, Crosby especially, the last three seasons or so.

Yeah the last couple years have been tough for them, but they've still done well despite all those injuries.

As for today, if you like great, intense hockey, Bruins-Habs is on. Imo it's the best rivalry in the NHL, and one of the best in pro sports. Love these games, and this one is already heated and tense.

Lucic, on what was a good old fashioned hip-check from Emelin:

Whether it's fair, legal or whatever you want to call it, if he wasn't scared he would stand up and hit me and not go after my knees...

Lucic, on spearing Emelin later on in the game (I'll admit, it was a lovetap, but it seemed 100% intentional. Also, just getting hit in the nuts period hurts.):

Just skating by him and that's it. People are trying to say I speared him. I did not spear him so that's it

I really don't mind and actually like the Bruins. But man I can't stand Lucic. He should just take the loss and move on. He dishes out a lot of punishment, but goes out of his way to complain when he's on the receiving end of some. And come on it was light, but it was a spear. And it was to the nuts. Any man would fold up like a cheap tent after that.

Pretty decent game otherwise, but it ended in a sad little shootout.

I see K Miller is playing the long game...nothing to console yourself in a loss like taking out two members of your rival's roster in one sequence. Yikes.

Every time the Wings stumble during a season and I start to think it might be best to just miss the damn playoffs and rebuild a little, they somehow manage to work rebuilding into an active season. I don't know that they're good enough to beat anybody in a series right now, but it's been incredibly entertaining - and equally frustrating - watching the kids run around.

Lucic, on what was a good old fashioned hip-check from Emelin:

Lucic, on spearing Emelin later on in the game (I'll admit, it was a lovetap, but it seemed 100% intentional. Also, just getting hit in the nuts period hurts.):

I really don't mind and actually like the Bruins. But man I can't stand Lucic. He should just take the loss and move on. He dishes out a lot of punishment, but goes out of his way to complain when he's on the receiving end of some. And come on it was light, but it was a spear. And it was to the nuts. Any man would fold up like a cheap tent after that.

Pretty decent game otherwise, but it ended in a sad little shootout.

Frustrating game. Felt like the Bs were outplaying them, for the most part, in 5-on-5, but sloppiness cost them some good opportunities. Seemed like after the Emelin hit they let the Habs get under their skin, forgot their game plan and shot themselves in the foot. Felt a little like the way the Penguins played them in the ECF last year, where they were so intent on putting on big hits they forgot to play some hockey at times.

Well, the streak had to end some time. Just didn't want it to be against the insufferable Habs.

Frustrating game. Felt like the Bs were outplaying them, for the most part, in 5-on-5, but sloppiness cost them some good opportunities. Seemed like after the Emelin hit they let the Habs get under their skin, forgot their game plan and shot themselves in the foot. Felt a little like the way the Penguins played them in the ECF last year, where they were so intent on putting on big hits they forgot to play some hockey at times.

Well, the streak had to end some time. Just didn't want it to be against the insufferable Habs.

Totally agree there. It's so rare to see that happen to the Bruins, as they usually agitate their opponent. Troll Master Subban was in full effect there too, drawing that 5-on-3.

I don't know about you, but I'd love to see yet another playoff series between these teams. Montreal can really poke and prod and bug Boston like no other team.

Archived