Aegon Targaryen

I call it good storytelling. I mean, who saw this coming? Plus, he seems like a pretty okay dude. Granted, he's probably not legit, but it doesn't matter anyway, because Stannis is the rightful king, and I'm tempted to predict Stannis will wind up on top since he's such an outside bet who's managed to hang in there so long.

The baby swap is far more possible than varys and Illyrio scouring the free cites for a substitute to fool JonCon.

But they wouldn't have to "scour the free cities" to find a substitute. ADWD is full of references to the fact that Valyrian looks are still quite common in Essos. From Jorah's silver haired prostitute to the Tattered Prince to Illyrio's picture of Serra, people with Targ-like features are not a rarity in the east.

But they wouldn't have to "scour the free cities" to find a substitute. ADWD is full of references to the fact that Valyrian looks are still quite common in Essos. From Jorah's silver haired prostitute to the Tattered Prince to Illyrio's picture of Serra, people with Targ-like features are not a rarity in the east.

yeah same looks but would they look like Rheagar or look like his son? the gene pool would be quite deluded at this point, the would to scour if they want to fool JonCon.

yeah same looks but would they look like Rheagar or look like his son? the gene pool would be quite deluded at this point, the would to scour if they want to fool JonCon.

Maybe, but I doubt it. How well do you remember what your friends' newborn babies look like? How well can you predict what they will look like as adults/teens based on what you saw of them as infants? If someone told you that a small child who was the right age and had the right hair and eye color was the child of your friend, what exactly from having seen him as a newborn would help you prove that it's a lie?

Moreover, I got the feeling that JonCon feels responsible for Rhaegar's death and views his support for Aegon as righting that wrong. With that already in his head, I think he wants to believe that Aegon is real. If Aegon is a fake, then JonCon really isn't anything more than a disgraced exile. I think it's entirely possible that JonCon would enter into self-delusion or willful ignorance around this out of feelings of guilt and pride.

Maybe, but I doubt it. How well do you remember what your friends' newborn babies look like? How well can you predict what they will look like as adults/teens based on what you saw of them as infants? If someone told you that a small child who was the right age and had the right hair and eye color was the child of your friend, what exactly from having seen him as a newborn would help you prove that it's a lie?

Moreover, I got the feeling that JonCon feels responsible for Rhaegar's death and views his support for Aegon as righting that wrong. With that already in his head, I think he wants to believe that Aegon is real. If Aegon is a fake, then JonCon really isn't anything more than a disgraced exile. I think it's entirely possible that JonCon would enter into self-delusion or willful ignorance around this out of feelings of guilt and pride.

JonCon does know what Rheagar and the Mad would look like. Ned Stark or Briene of Tarth never met Gendry but they instantly knew who son he was. Targaryens features are more unique than Bartheon, and even further would being different from Essos because it is almost pure. Ain't no way you just going any ole silver- haired boy would do.

Aurane Waters reminds Cersei of Rhaegar and the rumors are Lys is full of people with white-blond hair.

JonCon doesn't see Rhaegar in Aegon. He reflects on how Aegon's eye color is not the same shade as Rhaegar's. He doesn't see the face of his old friend in Aegon's features. But he still is 100% convinced this is Aegon.

Nobody trusts Varys. Especially one that worked with Varys as a Hand of the King. I don't see JonCon just trusting Varys at his word no matter how much he wants to believe it is true. I think JonCon was a part of the rescue mission to save Aegon and then went back to work for the Golden Company while Aegon grew old enough to start needing JonCon for his training. It's during this time period I think a Blackfyre was swapped in place for Aegon.

JonCon does know what Rheagar and the Mad would look like. Ned Stark or Briene of Tarth never met Gendry but they instantly knew who son he was. Targaryens features are more unique than Bartheon, and even further would being different from Essos because it is almost pure. Ain't no way you just going any ole silver- haired boy would do.

- Ned is in regular contact with age-changed Robert and Renly (who looks a lot like Robert in his prime), then he comes face to face with teenage Gendry and recognises him as being Roberts son.

- Brienne was parted from Renly for a few months before she saw Gendry, and immediately saw the family resemblance. (Note that Renly and Gendry are both specifically said to look like a lot like Robert, to a greater extent than might usually be expected of close relatives, Stannis shares the close relation but is not a lookalike and Bella is commented to have similar features but not identified as a relative).

- Jon C saw Rhaegar in his prime and year old Aegon, then 5 years later, he was presented with a six-year old he was told was Aegon. That is a substantial difference to the cases of Gendry being recognised as Robert's child. Memory does not stand up well to time and 5 years is a long time - but Jon C is actually comparing longer than that because 6 year old 'Aegon' cant be properly compared to adult Rheagar. Maybe Jon C knew Rhaegar when they were both children - in which case Jon would be comparing 'Aegon' to a 25-year old memory. Then Jon C spends years watching Aegon grow into a young adult, all of which time his memory of Rheagar's actual adult looks is fading (and possibly even being unconsciously modelled to look more like Aegon as he grows up, because memory is faulty like that).

If multiple people who knew adult Rheagar get to meet Aegon we will learn a lot more. Memory is still faulty, and it will be 18-ish years since any saw Rheagar, but everybody's memory fails in subtly different ways so if they reach a consensus it will be a fair judgement on how much 'Aegon' resembles Rheagar (and none of those people will have spent a decade staring at Rheagar's supposed son so their memories are untainted by any unconscious remodelling). If everybody agrees that Aegon is the spitting image of Rheagar I may be persuaded to consider that Aegon is the real deal. However there is no guarantee that the Aegon who died would have grown up to look exactly like his father so a bunch of people agreeing Aegon is not the spitting image of Rheager would not mean much. Most likely people will agree that Aegon has the Valyrian look and from looks alone could be Rheagars son, which only makes sense as Varys is too competent a schemer to have taken a fake that wasn't of Valyrian-looking stock.

Mysa'a war will be fought and won for her by others. She got everything going for her in ludicrously simple ways yet she has done nothing spectacular whatsoever,deus ex machinas solve her problems for her.

Is she greater than aegon? Yup she still is but let's not pretend that aegon will simply die of a coronary to pave way for her. He'll either be her greatest nemesis or greatest ally, but he'll have a big impact on every storyline, that's for sure

I believe we may be talking of a different aegon I'm talking about Aegon the first who is dead. If you don't know there are 2 books one is called "Rogues" and the other "Dangerous Women". Which both have short stories in the back written by your holiness George Martin I recommend to read the last story in Rogues about who Daemon Targaryen was and that's a very short story. After you read that when you read the princess and the queen or the blacks and the greens. You may know what I'm talking about.

This other Aegon I thought died in dance of dragons if not I'm sure he will. Danny is the true queen but let's remember targaryen blood as set barristan the bold said it is tainted. He said targaryen blood is tainted. Danny hears shit in dance of dragons. She abandoned her children()the dragons) and they went a little mad without her around. Drogon does come from the sky kills people In the pits that hodzar zo loraq tried to poison Danny after their marriage. Anyways I can go on forever

I believe we may be talking of a different aegon I'm talking about Aegon the first who is dead. If you don't know there are 2 books one is called "Rogues" and the other "Dangerous Women". Which both have short stories in the back written by your holiness George Martin I recommend to read the last story in Rogues about who Daemon Targaryen was and that's a very short story. After you read that when you read the princess and the queen or the blacks and the greens. You may know what I'm talking about.

This other Aegon I thought died in dance of dragons if not I'm sure he will. Danny is the true queen but let's remember targaryen blood as set barristan the bold said it is tainted. He said targaryen blood is tainted. Danny hears shit in dance of dragons. She abandoned her children()the dragons) and they went a little mad without her around. Drogon does come from the sky kills people In the pits that hodzar zo loraq tried to poison Danny after their marriage. Anyways I can go on forever

Oh and that green black story is in the back of dangerous women these stories are all prequels

One thing about Dany she has a little bit of the mad king in her but a little ain't so bad lol

I think the posts above do a good job of refuting most of this, but I just wanted to jump back in to point out that Rhaegar's children's weren't "pure" in terms of Valyrian bloodlines. Aegon's mother was Elia of Dorne, a black haired, black eyed, and olive skinned woman. We also have a number of examples of Targ/Martell unions producing children with non-Targ features, including Aegon's sister Rhaenys.

I think the posts above do a good job of refuting most of this, but I just wanted to jump back in to point out that Rhaegar's children's weren't "pure" in terms of Valyrian bloodlines. Aegon's mother was Elia of Dorne, a black haired, black eyed, and olive skinned woman. We also have a number of examples of Targ/Martell unions producing children with non-Targ features, including Aegon's sister Rhaenys.

Yeah but Aegon was a year year ago and everybody knew what he and his sister looked like before they were attacked.

JonCon has been with the GC for over 5 year and has associated with them ever since. They mostly travel all the free cities but they are mostly situated near Lys, Myr Volantis, and Tyrosh. If they were rumors of people with Targ feature in these places, JonCon would be in a good position to determine this for himself. as y'all would say

Aurane Waters reminds Cersei of Rhaegar and the rumors are Lys is full of people with white-blond hair.

JonCon doesn't see Rhaegar in Aegon. He reflects on how Aegon's eye color is not the same shade as Rhaegar's. He doesn't see the face of his old friend in Aegon's features. But he still is 100% convinced this is Aegon.

Nobody trusts Varys. Especially one that worked with Varys as a Hand of the King. I don't see JonCon just trusting Varys at his word no matter how much he wants to believe it is true. I think JonCon was a part of the rescue mission to save Aegon and then went back to work for the Golden Company while Aegon grew old enough to start needing JonCon for his training. It's during this time period I think a Blackfyre was swapped in place for Aegon.

JonCon would know for sure, So ain't no way Varys and Illyrio are going to easily convince him that they brought a fake to him trying convince him that he's real when he himself has already seen them for himself. He has to be the real deal to Convince JonCon

Right, he was an infant, which makes it even less likely that anyone would be able to predict his features as a teen or an adult, and thus even easier for a fake to pretend to be him.

it would be next to impossible to predict what he would like if he was a fake to a far away gene pool or a long forgotten Blackfyre line. I get what you saying, but the real Aegon has the best chance of growing up looking like Rhaegar then any other theory out there.

Archived