Rickon's Role

.Scream

Wow this topic blew up pretty quickly, glad you guys are having a good discussion. Reading your posts got me thinking of how similar this is to Ayra's POV where the BWB took her on her way to Riverrun and were planning to use her as a bargaining chip. There will be something which stops/stalls Davos on the way home, I just know it.

I propose Ser Davos as Rickon's Lord Protector.

I like Davos but his loyalty lies foremost with Stannis and as far as I am concerned I don't trust Stannis with Rickon. To him Rickon is a political pawn who advances his political agenda instead of a human being. Heck I don't even trust the Manderlys with Rickon. The poor boy is about to be forced into the role Sansa has been post-AGOT. This is why I want Sansa to be his Lady protector. Not only does she love him she would also understand the position Rickon is in and protect him from those who try to use him for their own gain. When he takes the role of Lord of Winterfell - as a figurehead of course - Sansa would as the de facto Lady of Winterfell help him rule. Plus how on earth would Davos control his violent behaviour. At least Sansa had some experience since she dealt with Sandor and had a profound affect on him. Her gentle touch would be perfect for the boy. Can you imagine how Sansa and Rickon could be together in the future? They would be Catelyn and Robb - only the better and improved version of them duh :P

Robb named Jon as his heir. He may have assumed that Rickon was dead, but that doesn't invalidate the will. Robb also assumed that Jon was Ned's bastard, that might not be true. Rickon has a stronger claim by intestate succession, but Robb left a will.

Yeah because royal wills are always followed in Westeros. This one has an abundance of errors in it, it will be very easy to question it.

I like Davos but his loyalty lies foremost with Stannis and as far as I am concerned I don't trust Stannis with Rickon. To him Rickon is a political pawn who advances his political agenda instead of a human being. Heck I don't even trust the Manderlys with Rickon. The poor boy is about to be forced into the role Sansa has been post-AGOT. This is why I want Sansa to be his Lady protector. Not only does she love him she would also understand the position Rickon is in and protect him from those who try to use him for their own gain. When he takes the role of Lord of Winterfell - as a figurehead of course - Sansa would as the de facto Lady of Winterfell help him rule. Plus how on earth would Davos control his violent behaviour. At least Sansa had some experience since she dealt with Sandor and had a profound affect on him. Her gentle touch would be perfect for the boy. Can you imagine how Sansa and Rickon could be together in the future? They would be Catelyn and Robb - only the better and improved version of them duh :P

Stannis is loyal but he's not blind when he follows orders. Otherwise, Edric would be dead right now.

What gammaerys said. If he was loyal to Stannis beyond reason, Edric wouldn't have been smuggled to safety.

How would Davos control Rickon's behavior. Have you forgotten he's the father of eight sons? I'd say Davos is uniquely qualified to deal with wild young boys.

Sansa would be a great option...if she wasn't under Littlefinger's control. Through her LF would be Lord Protector of both the Vale and Winterfell, and arguably the North by connection. He's setting her up to rule both, if not more.

How would Davos control Rickon's behavior. Have you forgotten he's the father of eight sons? I'd say Davos is uniquely qualified to deal with wild young boys.

...and crazy witches and stubborn kings.

Sansa being in charge of Rickon? Sometimes I think some readers think characters read the books. We might know that she's being in a way "instructed" by Littlefinger in the game of thrones (not that I agree but whatever), but there is no way the Northern Lords know. For them, Sansa is just the sweet daughter of Ned Stark who was hostage of the Lannisters and was married to the imp. How is Sansa going to prove that she has being "trained" into politics? Is she coming to the North with an army? will she be revealed as the master mind behind the North Conspiracy?

I see nothing wrong with wanting Rickon to be protected by someone who loves him and understand his situation, because lets face it he will be a political pawn. Nor do I think it is a coincidence that Sansa is in a realm that has been untouched by war and the Vale bannermen wanted to join Robb so bad that they almost rebelled. I hardly doubt that GRRM would invest in Sansa and her character development that much if she wouldn't have a profound effect in the political scale in the upcoming two books.

Sansa being in charge of Rickon? Sometimes I think some readers think characters read the books. We might know that she's being in a way "instructed" by Littlefinger in the game of thrones (not that I agree but whatever), but there is no way the Northern Lords know. For them, Sansa is just the sweet daughter of Ned Stark who was hostage of the Lannisters and was married to the imp. How is Sansa going to prove that she has being "trained" into politics? Is she coming to the North with an army? will she be revealed as the master mind behind the North Conspiracy?

They'll know when Lord Baelish's "daughter" turns out to be Sansa Stark at her wedding. She doesn't necessarily have to prove anything, and yes she could come north with the army of the Vale.

Wait, why am I arguing this point, I'm rooting for Davos to be Lord Protector.

Does anyone know if there is ever a Lady Protector? Sansa's rather on the female side to be put in charge in that society, and last I knew she's still underage.

Does anyone know if there is ever a Lady Protector? Sansa's rather on the female side to be put in charge in that society, and last I knew she's still underage.

Cersei was queen regent. Lysa was governing for Robin.

Sansa is old enough to marry. She cannot be much younger than Robb was when he was crowned. When are you considered an adult?

Cersei was queen regent. Lysa was governing for Robin.

Sansa is old enough to marry. She cannot be much younger than Robb was when he was crowned. When are you considered an adult?

The age of majority in Westeros is 16. Girls can be married before they are of age.

I thought Lysa was governing temporarily on the understanding that when she chose a new husband he would be Lord Protector.

I know Cersei was regent but that's slightly different.

The age of majority in Westeros is 16. Girls can be married before they are of age.

I thought Lysa was governing temporarily on the understanding that when she chose a new husband he would be Lord Protector.

I know Cersei was regent but that's slightly different.

Not really. Even if her husband becomes Lord Protector she still would be Lady of the Eyrie and therefore hold still a considerable amount of power. Holding a castle is important and pretty similar to ruling a realm/kingdom on a smaller scale.

A 13 year old girl as Lady Protector for a 4(?) year old, nope, don't see it.

A 13 year old girl as Lady Protector for a 4(?) year old, nope, don't see it.

There are two large books coming up and a time gap has been removed. Just because Sansa isn't fit to be Lady Protector right now doesn't mean that she won't be one at the end of ADOS. It is like implying that just because Bran isn't a greenseer right now he won't become one forever. And even if she doesn't become Lady Protector at the end of the series she will sure as hell behave like one. Till Rickon marries, which won't happen in a very long time, Sansa will be Lady of Winterfell so she would be in position to rule and since she loves she will protect him. Really the idea isn't that far fetched you know.

There are two large books coming up and a time gap has been removed. Just because Sansa isn't fit to be Lady Protector right now doesn't mean that she won't be one at the end of ADOS. It is like implying that just because Bran isn't a greenseer right now he won't become one forever. And even if she doesn't become Lady Protector at the end of the series she will sure as hell behave like one. Till Rickon marries, which won't happen in a very long time, Sansa will be Lady of Winterfell so she would be in position to rule and since she loves she will protect him. Really the idea isn't that far fetched you know.

For whatever reason I see Sansa winding up as lady of Riverrun. I think it is because of how much she has been compared to Cat, and Cat was from Riverrun. Also theres the whole Baelish angle and the fact that if Sansa go's anywhere she has to at least go threw the Riverlands + if Rickon or Bran or Jon become lord of Winterfell Sansa won't have any role. If she becomes a badass she could be lady of Winterfell, but it would only be for a little while until Rickon/Bran came of age. It isn't entirely far fetched but I think there are more likely outcomes since Manderly is setting himself up pretty nicely.

For whatever reason I see Sansa winding up as lady of Riverrun. I think it is because of how much she has been compared to Cat, and Cat was from Riverrun. Also theres the whole Baelish angle and the fact that if Sansa go's anywhere she has to at least go threw the Riverlands + if Rickon or Bran or Jon become lord of Winterfell Sansa won't have any role. If she becomes a badass she could be lady of Winterfell, but it would only be for a little while until Rickon/Bran came of age. It isn't entirely far fetched but I think there are more likely outcomes since Manderly is setting himself up pretty nicely.

Somehow I doubt that. One of the themes in Sansa's arc is her getting closer to her Northern roots. I mean in the beginning she wanted to go south, but right now even though winterfell is at ruin she still wants to go home. In the beginning she favored the Seven Gods, but gradually she prefers the Old gods and prays in to the Godswood frequently and she builds a snow replica of Winterfell. Personally, I think that Sansa won't be happy elsewhere than the North.

Somehow I doubt that. One of the themes in Sansa's arc is her getting closer to her Northern roots. I mean in the beginning she wanted to go south, but right now even though winterfell is at ruin she still wants to go home. In the beginning she favored the Seven Gods, but gradually she prefers the Old gods and prays in to the Godswood frequently and she builds a snow replica of Winterfell. Personally, I think that Sansa won't be happy elsewhere than the North.

Good points, but I think she could be happy elsewhere depending on circumstances.

Once she marries Harrold Hardyng(Harrenhal Dying) and raises her standard with a White Direwolf the wold will flip upside down - look ahead - not how the pieces are set. It doesnt come next it comes after what's already has been set-up transpires.The Wolves and the BWB and Jamie Lannister and Brienne will play their story out along the Trident and when they are done Walder will die the last Frey. And as the Others bare down and the dead rise and things look most dreary, Sansa will emerge as a player. Lady of the Vale and of the Trident. Twice a Widow and still a maiden and a better match to Aegon Targaryan than any other in the seven Kingdoms

Archived