Rhaegar and Aegon

Wmarshal

"Just own up to your actions." That's all I could've asked of Rhaegar. You can't tell me he that he ran off with Lyanna in the middle of the night with no explanation to anyone, and then literally hid from the consequences of said choice while a war raged on his kingdom that he's partially responsible for starting while simultaneously telling me he'd be a great king. Not having it.

"Just own up to your actions." That's all I could've asked of Rhaegar. You can't tell me he that he ran off with Lyanna in the middle of the night with no explanation to anyone, and then literally hid from the consequences of said choice while a war raged on his kingdom that he's partially responsible for starting while simultaneously telling me he'd be a great king. Not having it.

Too right you are -- especially since he left his crazy Dad to clean up his mess.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that GRRM said that Rhaegar would have been a good king.. and if that's the case that's the only opinion that matters.

We barely know anything about the man, we should at least keep a somewhat open mind until we know more about the events leading up to Robert's rebellion. Some people say that regardless of how Rhaegar's actions end up altering the story's ending, he was still crazy, mad, incompetent, and emo. I think that's nonsense because there is a tremendous amount that we as readers still don't know even 5 books in.

So with all that in mind, Brandon did exactly what I would have done and exactly what Rhaegar should have expected him to do. Instead of calling the banners, he challenged Rhaegar to a duel, one-on-one. You could question whether it was more the place of Rickard or Robert to do fight the duel, but Brandon certainly had the right to make the challenge.

The problem was that Rhaegar was too busy running away and hiding even to be there to meet the challenge -- he left it to his crazy father to clean up his mess.

The first problem is that Brandon didn't challenge Rhaegar to a duel. He didn't find Rhaegar, he didn't name a reason for a duel, he didn't name it a duel, he didn't declare an injustice suffered, he just demanded that the crown prince "come out and die". Thats a treasonous demand for the death of the Crown Prince, not a legal attempt to find justice.

The second problem is that fighting Brandon, even beating him, is not productive for Rhaegar. It brings him out into the open where Aerys can prevent him from hitching up with Lyanna, and at best he gets to kill Lyanna's brother...

Its not simply "running away" to decide to not be available for a horrendously stupid idea that is counterproductive for everybody.

Archived