Jon Snow Lord of Dragonstone

Prince AppleSauce

But the way I see it is this: The Targaryens (including Jon) were removed from the line line of succession, when Robert took the Throne. They still have a claim to the Throne, if someone backs them.

Legally, Stannis is King, and Shireen his heir, but would the Targaryens be in contention if Shireen were to die? One of Roberts numerous bastards could be legitimized, but what would happen if the Baratheon line were to die out (and the Lannisters lose the Throne)? Then there is no obvious heir, so a Great Council would have to be called.

Considering Robert was put forth as King, as he had a Targaryen grandmother, this could mean Doran would be in line for the throne through his Targaryen lineage.

No. Legally speaking Robert's true born son Tommen is the King and Myrcella is his heir.

Not how succession works. It goes king, then to the king's oldest son, then to his oldest son, next-oldest son, etc. Viserys isn't in contention until Rhaegar's sons are exhausted, even if Rhaegar dies first. If Prince Charles dies before Elizabeth II, Prince William is still next in line, not Prince Andrew. Edward the Black Prince died before Edward III; the throne passed to Richard II, the Black Prince's son, not John of Gaunt, his younger brother and Edward III's next-oldest surviving son.

Even if your understanding of succession were correct (it's not), Dany, being a female, would still come after any male Targaryen claimants.

This is modified if the king's younger son has a bigger army than the son of the crown prince. Or the king's daughter has Dragunz.

We do have documentation of the issue of inheritance. I don't remember where but i believe it is a Tyrion chapter thinking or discussing the Dance of Dragons. This is the basis for the short story The Princess and The Queen. Although not discussed within the short story itself, afterwards it was decided to make all males come before females in Targaryan inheritance. I dont know if this was made a law for all houses, we know it is not followed in Dorne, but it seems to be the standard for most.

Archived