Moments of Foreshadowing 8 [TPatQ spoilers]

Lord Varys

My take was a Freudian slip cause he's thinking about Lyanna

In that case he would be right that she was a queen in way as she was queen of love and beauty. She never married a king though. Aerys outlived Rhaegar.

A stone turned under her foot. She [Dany] stumbled to one knee and cried out in pain

Stones are used for hiding things, and a stone turning could point to a secret being revealed. The phrase "under one's foot" means someone is near you in a way that is difficult and prevents you from doing what you want to do. The stone turned causes to Dany to go to one knee, the action one performs to acknowledge fealty to a king. I think this foreshadows the reveal of R+L=J, or Jon's hidden heritage/identity, to Dany. Jon is near her as her nephew by Rhaegar, which prevents her from doing what she wants to do, sit the IT and rule as Queen. Going to one knee could foreshadow her kneeling to Jon in submission, acknowledging him as king. Her crying out in pain is likely a clue to her reaction to the event.

snip

That is unlikely IMO as I doubt she would marry the guy who killed Barristan, Daario and Hizdahr. Besides, I don't see any clues pointing to him as her husband. The clues point more strongly, IMO, to Tyrion as her husband. All grand plans that are revealed end up being dashed to pieces so I don't think VIctarion's plan will succeed.

A stone turned under her foot. She [Dany] stumbled to one knee and cried out in pain

Stones are used for hiding things, and a stone turning could point to a secret being revealed. The phrase "under one's foot" means someone is near you in a way that is difficult and prevents you from doing what you want to do. The stone turned causes to Dany to go to one knee, the action one performs to acknowledge fealty to a king. I think this foreshadows the reveal of R+L=J to Dany. Jon is near her as nephew by Rhaegar, which prevents her from doing what she wants to do, sit the IT and rule as Queen. Going to one knee could foreshadow her kneeling to Jon in submission, acknowledging him as king. Her crying out in pain is likely a clue to her reaction to the event.

That is unlikely IMO as I doubt she would marry the guy who killed Barristan, Daario and Hizdahr. Besides, I don't see any clues pointing to him as her husband. The clues point more strongly, IMO, to Tyrion as her husband. All grand plans that are revealed end up being dashed to pieces so I don't think VIctarion's plan will succeed.

And by this point, after the DotD 2.0, Dany will have amassed a lot of enemies; being forced to yield to Jon may actually save her life, at least until she dies at the Wall.

It's been a long time since I've contributed to or looked at the moment's of foreshadowing threads, so forgive me if this has been covered.

ADWD; Jon

The king [stannis] laid his bright blade down on the map, along the Wall, its steel shimmering like sunlight on water.

"Lightbringer" was laid down across the Wall...just like the castles of the Night's Watch. This quote is good evidence for the NW=Lightbringer theory, and in turn in the Jon=AA theory imo.

And Daenerys Targaryen, whatever else she might be, was still a young girl, as she herself would claim when it pleased her to play the innocent. Like all good queens she put her people first—else she would never have wed Hizdahr zo Loraq—but the girl in her still yearned for poetry, passion, and laughter. She wants fire, and Dorne sent her mud.

He should have stayed in Dorne. He should have stayed a frog. Not all men are meant to dance with dragons.

“Marry me, and we can have all the nights forever.”

If I could, I would. Khal Drogo had been her sun-and-stars, but he had been dead so long that Daenerys had almost forgotten how it felt to love and be loved. Daario had helped her to remember. I was dead and he brought me back to life. I was asleep and he woke me. My brave captain [foreshadowing to the Iron Captain?]. Even so, of late he grew too bold. On the day that he returned from his latest sortie, he had tossed the head of a Yunkish lord at her feet and kissed her in the hall for all the world to see, until Barristan Selmy pulled the two of them apart. Ser Grandfather had been so wroth that Dany feared blood might be shed. “We cannot wed, my love. You know why.”

Dany desires a head tosser but Daario was too lowborn and back then she wished to plant trees and wear floppy ears.

She lifted her veil and let it flutter away. She took her tokar off as well. The pearls rattled softly against one another as she unwound the silk.

Khaleesi?” Irri asked. “What are you doing?”

“Taking off my floppy ears.”

Dragons plant no trees. Remember that. Remember who you are, what you were made to be. Remember your words.

“Fire and Blood,” Daenerys told the swaying grass.

Now that Dany took off her floppy ears and remembered her words, I think it is more likely that he will marry Victarion than Tyrion. Drogo > Daario > Victarion. All head tossers.

ETA:

The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.

Captain. They tell us you did us good service in Lhazar.” I have missed you so much.

“Your captain lives to serve his cruel queen.”

“Cruel?”

Moonlight glimmered in his eyes. “He raced ahead of all his men to see her face the sooner, only to be left languishing whilst she ate lamb and figs with some dried-up old woman.”

They never told me you were here, Dany thought, or I might have played the fool and sent for you at once. “I was supping with the Green Grace.” It seemed best not to mention Hizdahr. “I had urgent need of her wise counsel.”

“I have only one urgent need: Daenerys.”

I think Daario was a temporary solution for Dany. Her real type is Victarion. Whether we like it or not, brutes turn her on. The bolded sentence of Daario is very interesting. Dany will most likely be taken to dosh khaleen (dired-up old women) while Victarion is racing to reach Dany.

He [Victarion] raced ahead of all his men to see her face the sooner, only to be left languishing whilst she ate lamb and figs with some dried-up old woman [dosh khaleen].

It's been a long time since I've contributed to or looked at the moment's of foreshadowing threads, so forgive me if this has been covered.

"Lightbringer" was laid down across the Wall...just like the castles of the Night's Watch. This quote is good evidence for the NW=Lightbringer theory, and in turn in the Jon=AA theory imo.

But the thing is, the Lightbringer of Stannis is false.

But the thing is, the Lightbringer of Stannis is false.

I know, that's why I put "Lightbringer" in quotes. If you think about it, it's actually essential that his Lightbringer be false, otherwise there wouldn't be any foreshadowing at all here (or anywhere really since his would be the real one). This false Lightbringer is covering up the true one, hence it's being laid over the Wall.

The foreshadowing still works imo.

As angry as he was, his father could not help but laugh. “You’re not my son,” he told Bran when they fetched him down, “you’re a squirrel. [...]"

~ AGoT, Bran II

Could be a coincidence. But it's interesting, given that Bran does indeed end up with the CotF aka. squirrel people.

Could be a coincidence. But it's interesting, given that Bran does indeed end up with the CotF aka. squirrel people.

Speaking of coincidences,

The giant was the last to notice them. He had been asleep, curled up by the fire, but something woke him—the child’s cry, the sound of snow crunching beneath black boots, a sudden indrawn breath. When he stirred it was as if a boulder had come to life. He heaved himself into a sitting position with a snort, pawing at his eyes with hands as big as hams to rub the sleep away … until he saw Iron Emmett, his sword shining in his hand. Roaring, he came leaping to his feet, and one of those huge hands closed around a maul and jerked it up.

First to make the ascent were the clan chiefs Flint and Norrey, clad in fur and iron. The Norrey looked like some old fox—wrinkled and slight of build, but sly-eyed and spry. Torghen Flint was half a head shorter but must weigh twice as much—a stout gruff man with gnarled, red-knuckled hands as big as hams, leaning heavily on a blackthorn cane as he limped across the ice.

His father’s mother’s mother had been a Flint of the mountains. Old Nan once said that it was her blood in him that made Bran such a fool for climbing before his fall.

“The map is not the land, my father often said. Men have lived in the high valleys and mountain meadows for thousands of years, ruled by their clan chiefs. Petty lords, you would call them, though they do not use such titles amongst themselves. Clan champions fight with huge two-handed greatswords, while the common men sling stones and batter one another with staffs of mountain ash. A quarrelsome folk, it must be said. When they are not fighting one another, they tend their herds, fish the Bay of Ice, and breed the hardiest mounts you’ll ever ride.”

In Old Nan’s stories, giants were outsized men who lived in colossal castles, fought with huge swords, and walked about in boots a boy could hide in. These were something else, more bearlike than human, and as wooly as the mammoths they rode. Seated, it was hard to say how big they truly were. Ten feet tall maybe, or twelve, Jon thought. Maybe fourteen, but no taller. Their sloping chests might have passed for those of men, but their arms hung down too far, and their lower torsos looked half again as wide as their upper. Their legs were shorter than their arms, but very thick, and they wore no boots at all; their feet were broad splayed things, hard and horny and black.

The small, sure-footed garrons of the hill clans were faring better, the scouts said, but the clansmen dared not press too far ahead or the whole host would come apart.

Before them marched the clansmen from the hills; chiefs and champions astride shaggy garrons, their hirsute fighters trotting beside them, clad in furs and boiled leather and old mail.

Their garrons were sure-footed beasts that ate less than palfreys, and much less than the big destriers, and the men who rode them were at home in the snow. Many of the wolves donned curious footwear. Bear-paws, they called them, queer elongated things made with bent wood and leather strips. Lashed onto the bottoms of their boots, the things somehow allowed them to walk on top of the snow without breaking through the crust and sinking down to their thighs.

Some had bear-paws for their horses too, and the shaggy little garrons wore them as easily as other mounts wore iron horseshoes …

I can’t resist noticing the similarities between mountain clans (especially Flints) and the giants. The giants liked to live in high mountains like Frostfangs and Thenns because no trees means no spying from the CotF. Old Nan’s stories of giants tell that they live in colossal castles (read mountains), fight with huge swords (clan champions like to use huge two handed greatswords). Jon notes that the real giants are more bearlike with their furs and shaggy mammoths. Mountain clans ride shaggy garrons and use bear-paws to walk better in snow. Their most common weapon is a staff made of mountain ash. Such mauls seem to be the favorite weapon of giants as well.

In short, Umbers are not the only people with giantsblood. Funny how Roose noted Umbers, mountain clans, Skagos and Boltons still keep the first night tradition. Is this the only thing they share or all of these people have the blood of some ancient races too?

I first want to apologize for having started a thread on foreshadowing and hints, this looks like a wonderful series (I've read most of # 7 but really don't think I can read 1 through 6 :p ) but when you search foreshadowing pages of stuff comes up and I didn't see version 7.

There are times when GRRM moves back and forth between something straightforward on the face of it and then foreshadowing, then back again. In AFFC, when Asha visits her uncle to get his support for the moot, he asks her about Theon, and she tells him about the bones and the wolves. He goes on to say

"Crows will fight over a dead man's flesh and kill each other for his eyes." Lord Rodrik stared across the sea, watching the play of moonlight on the waves. "We had one king, then five. Now all I see are crows, squabbling over the corpse of Westeros.

But she turns down his suggestion and says she wants her father's seat, and he says to her

"Then you are just another crow, screaming for carrion."

You can read that simply as a tie-in to the theme of the book, a feast for crows, but could this be a hint that Asha will not die, as many have suggested, but will be among the survivors at the bittersweet end, trying to get her bit of the feast?

And I can see this also as foreshadowing the success of Jon Snow. In the thread I opened I mentioned the scene at Dragonstone, where Davos is waiting for Stannis and Mel to return from prayers so he can tell them Joffrey is dead, he has sent Edric away, and to show Stannis Mormont's letter asking for help. Davos crosses the room, and the light from the window casts his shadow on the map table, cutting Westeros in half. So we can believe at the end of the war the united 7 kingdoms are cut up, like a corpse on the battlefield, and the survivors are all trying to get their share of the body.

If Slynt had accepted the Greyguard command, here is what Jon hoped would happen. "You'll sleep on stone, too exhausted to complain or plot, and soon you'll forget what it was like to be warm, but you might remember what it was to be a man." I think the bolded part foreshadows what will happen to Jon post-Ides of Marsh.

There will be eyes along the kingsroad, not all of them friendly . . . Let Stannis have his secrets. The gods know that I have mine.

We need more eyes along the Wall

There will be members of the NW having a role in Jon's road to becoming king that aren't friendly, Marsh and Co. Their actions likely result in Jon finding out about his secret, his royal heritage, with BranRaven visiting him in his coma.

snip

Except Victarion announced his grand plan, and so the chances of it succeeding are now very slim. Do you think Dany would marry the guy who murdered her husband, her lover and likely Barristan and Jorah? Head tossing is very thin, IMO.

If Slynt had accepted the Greyguard command, here is what Jon hoped would happen. "You'll sleep on stone, too exhausted to complain or plot, and soon you'll forget what it was like to be warm, but you might remember what it was to be a man." I think the bolded part foreshadows what will happen to Jon post-Ides of Marsh.

A nice catch

The most beautiful woman in the world has urgent need of my axe.

Captain. They tell us you did us good service in Lhazar.” I have missed you so much.

“Your captain lives to serve his cruel queen.”

“Cruel?”

Moonlight glimmered in his eyes. “He raced ahead of all his men to see her face the sooner, only to be left languishing whilst she ate lamb and figs with some dried-up old woman.”

They never told me you were here, Dany thought, or I might have played the fool and sent for you at once. “I was supping with the Green Grace.” It seemed best not to mention Hizdahr. “I had urgent need of her wise counsel.”

“I have only one urgent need: Daenerys.”

I think Daario was a temporary solution for Dany. Her real type is Victarion. Whether we like it or not, brutes turn her on. The bolded sentence of Daario is very interesting. Dany will most likely be taken to dosh khaleen (dired-up old women) while Victarion is racing to reach Dany.

He [Victarion] raced ahead of all his men to see her face the sooner, only to be left languishing whilst she ate lamb and figs with some dried-up old woman [dosh khaleen].

Victarion will not waste his time in Meereen:

"Where is this Dothraki sea?" he demanded. "I will sail the Iron Fleet across it and find the queen wherever she may be."

:drool:

Jon had once heard Mance Rayder say that most kneelers were sheep. “Now, a dog can herd a flock of sheep,” the King-Beyond-the-Wall had said, “but free folk, well, some are shadowcats and some are stones. One kind prowls where they please and will tear your dogs to pieces. The other will not move at all unless you kick them.”

Currently, Arya is a shadowcat and Sansa is a stone. What can we make from this? Sansa needs a good kick?

Has this been mentioned yet...

"A thousand other women might have loved him with all their hearts. What did he do to make you hate him so?"

Her eyes burned, green fire in the dusk, like the lioness that was her sigil. "The night of our wedding feast, the first time we shared a bed, he called me by your sister's name. He was on top of me, in me, stinking of wine, and he whispered Lyanna."

Foreshadows Cersei's burning the Tower of the Hand.

Has this been mentioned yet..."A thousand other women might have loved him with all their hearts. What did he do to make you hate him so?"Her eyes burned, green fire in the dusk, like the lioness that was her sigil. "The night of our wedding feast, the first time we shared a bed, he called me by your sister's name. He was on top of me, in me, stinking of wine, and he whispered Lyanna."

Foreshadows Cersei's burning the Tower of the Hand.

And also foreshadows her burning KL and the Red Keep down.

Some more foreshadowing I found

The Seven have never brought me so much as a sparrow

I think the HS will send the Faith Militant north to deal with Stannis and his army made up of worshiper of R'hllor and the Old Gods, akin to the Church having military orders subdue pagans and members of the Eastern Orthodox Church in the Northern Crusades.

I like this idea and wonder whether we can stretch it further.

“I grow ever more admiring of you, my lord,” confessed the eunuch. “You appease the Stark boy with his father’s bones and strip your sister of her protectors in one swift stroke. You give that black brother the men he seeks, rid the city of some hungry mouths, yet make it all seem mockery so none may say that the dwarf fears snarks and grumkins. Oh, deftly done.”

Varys admired Tyrion's moves in ACoK. Can we draw more parallels from here? Assuming the Faith Militant will fight the Tyrells in KL and possibly Mace will be killed, Varys can manipulate Cersei to return the bones of Mace to Highgarden to appease his son Willas. At the same time she removes the protectors of Margaery and hold her as a hostage. Then Varys makes her get rid of the sparrows by sending them to the North to fight Stannis.

And I can see this also as foreshadowing the success of Jon Snow. In the thread I opened I mentioned the scene at Dragonstone, where Davos is waiting for Stannis and Mel to return from prayers so he can tell them Joffrey is dead, he has sent Edric away, and to show Stannis Mormont's letter asking for help. Davos crosses the room, and the light from the window casts his shadow on the map table, cutting Westeros in half. So we can believe at the end of the war the united 7 kingdoms are cut up, like a corpse on the battlefield, and the survivors are all trying to get their share of the body.

:cheers:

Archived