Exercise and Fitness: Spring training begins, everyone report!

Greywolf2375

"This Sunday" as in "day after tomorrow"?

If so, how could losing 7lbs before weigh in be ok? :blink:

Because he will probably gain it all back in about 10 minutes after stepping off the scale. Short term manipulation of water weight to "make weight" for certain competitions, e.g. powerlifting or wrestling.

Because he will probably gain it all back in about 10 minutes after stepping off the scale. Short term manipulation of water weight to "make weight" for certain competitions, e.g. powerlifting or wrestling.

I am aware of those tricks, I just didn't know they could make you lose so much weight so quickly.

You cutting water weight for the weigh in or is that not advisable for strongman?

Yeah I'm cutting water. Its a day before weigh in so its ok. Wouldn't advise it for a same day weigh in.

Baxus I was 250lbs on Monday, I'll weigh 231 tomorrow then get back up to 250+ come sunday.

So I got a HRM a couple months ago. I was doing P90X for the past couple months, so I haven't had a chance to use it running until this week, as I've added some running back into my routine.

I live in a hilly area, and the route I normally run starts off with a huge hill. So I knew my HR was going to go up, and it did to about 180. It was back to 165 on the downhill, so I figured it was fine. Then I was running the flat stretch in the middle and realized that my HR was still around 170. By the time I finished, my max HR was 184 and the average was 173. This for a 30 minute run at what I consider a pretty easy pace (9:40 mm). I didn't feel any worse than I normally do, either.

I thought maybe just the hills were jacking it up (seriously, the hills are soooo big!), so today I drove a bit to go somewhere I could run that was both flat and not concrete. That was a 25 minute run, my average HR was 167 (max 173).

Is this normal? This seems crazy high to me for a moderate, steady pace workout. Now I'm worried that I'm stressing my heart too much and I'm going to have a heart attack mid-run or something.

Part and parcel of weight class sports. It is not pleasant lol. Weighed in at 231 on the dot. Time to eat.

Glad to hear you made your class.

All the best at your competition tomorrow.

I'll be running a half-marathon in my hometown tomorrow, for the fourth time in a row and seventh total.

Anything under 2 hour mark and I'll be a happy man.

My training has suffered a lot in the past month and a half or so.

I've done only a couple of runs since coming back from my snowboarding vacation.

Oh well, I have a couple of unpleasant days of recovery waiting for me after the race :)

EDIT:

Just to point out, my training has suffered from my laziness mostly.

Yeah, I had a rather busy schedule but chose to use that as a convenient excuse ;)

not a proper dead if you don't die....(almost)

What?

Ran a 5k at sea level a few weeks ago, then did the hardest fucking stair climb in the world. 110 stories in full bunker gear and an SCBA on. Knocked my dick in the dust for a week or two. Got a little lazy after that. Having done all that and completing my PT test for he reserves has sapped some of my motivation. Need to get back on the horse.

You can see me at :57 fucking with my Ipod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fw3_yki_R8

My tastes run more towards rock and metal, so I doubt that's your type of thing.

A helpful post

edit: I no longer know what to wear to hike as an adult, particularly pants. What do you guys hike in? Some of this will be nontrivial mountainside scrambling, so.

I'd wear something like "tactical pants", there's a shit ton of stuff on the market. Much of it is designed to breathe well and is usually pretty sturdy. If you get them in tan/khaki they look more or less like normal pants and not high speed low drag military operator gear.

I ran in a half-marathon today.

It was not as pleasant an experience as it was on previous occasions when I actually did the training required beforehand ;)

Weathes was not that great, it started rather windy which made it feel colder but later on the sun came out and I got sunburnt (calves, arms and back of my neck) while wind was ok at some places and wuite bothersome at others.

My unofficial result stands at 2.02.36 which is good enough to rank me 1074th out of 2259 men half-marathoners.

On the other hand, t was a record-breaking turnout for Belgrade marathon, with some 2800-2900 half-marathoners and a bit over 500 marathoners.

Plus there's a 5k Fun run which brings out 15-20k people every year.

Here's a pic to show what it looked like ;)

EDIT:

Luke, how did your competiton go?

Archived