How would you dealt with the grejoys?

Wmarshal

I would have done what they did in the book. Let's not forget that it worked up until rob sent theon back.

Balon was going ahead with his second rebellion regardless of Theon. When Theon arrived at Pyke the fleet and army was already preparing to attack the North. He didn't factor into it at all.

I would have done what they did in the book. Let's not forget that it worked up until rob sent theon back.

Didn't he know theon was coming back tho? Because in the book theon makes mentions of who he thinks will receive him when he arrives on shore. He must have sent word that he was coming home. At witch time balon prepared for war.

The Ironislanders would never let someone take the position of Balon without them proving it, am I right in saying that the ruler of the Iron Islands has to prove is in someway? (By force)
I haven't read in a while... But I say you don't end the rebellion; let the Iron islands rule whoever and whatever they like because they are the true rulers of Westeros.

It’s tricky... the thing about the ironborn is that they were very prosperous on the basis of extraction by being reavers ..

After Aegon´s conquest the practice was banned. Suddenly the iron islands got sharply impoverished. The Ironbonr of course still dream of returning to the Old Ways. they would follow anyone who promises that.

Raising taxes and other economic punishment policies are of course counterproductive.

The Reader is one of the few smart lords of the Iron Islands. One of the few who realizes the Old ways are dead. Having him in charge is a must. Leaving an army at his disposal to secure his leadership is therefore also a must.

After that, what the iron islands really need is economic development.

Kill ALL of the Greyjoys, if you leave Theon and Asha alive you risk them seeking retribution later down the line, and then burn whatever is left of their fleet. Put a family loyal to the crown in charge of the Iron Islands and make sure they know that they will get what the Greyjoys got if they rebel.

Kill Balon, Euron, Aeron and Victarion. Put their heads on spikes as an example. Theon either gets fostered in Highgarden or sent to take the black. Marry Asha to some lordling from the Riverlands or the Crownlands. Put Rodrik Harlaw in charge, he knows the Old Ways are dead and will "modernise" the ironborn to some extent.

I'd also burn some of their ships and raise the taxes (not too much).

Allow Balon his crown.

Marry Robb to Theon (Throbb is best couple, it is known).

Haha, I'm not a fan of Robb/Theon but I love this answer.

In all seriousness, the way Robert dealt with the Greyjoys would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous. Regardless of whether or not the Iron Islands deserve their sovereignty, the prudent political action would have been to have Balon and his brothers executed, Theon and Asha stripped of their claim to the Islands and kept as wards, with Asha being betrothed to a vassal lordling. Rodrik Harlaw could be installed as Lord of the Iron Islands, Gwynesse Harlaw remarried to an attractive suitor from the mainland and Rodrik himself given an attractive new bride from the mainland as a gesture of goodwill (assuming his first wife has died by this point, I'm not sure when that happened).

Send Vic and Euron to the Wall, send Theon to Winterfell to serve as Ned's Ward, and wed Asha to Edmure. Thus, Balon has no real other options for heirs from his family other then the individuals that are being held hostage. Furthermore, the marriage between Asha and Edmure ties him to the Greenlanders by family.

1) Leave a standing loyalist garrison on Pyke to make sure that action can be taken swiftly if any rebellious plans are being made.

2) Kill of house Greyjoy and raise one of the lower houses.

3)Take not only one hostage but hostages from all the major and significant families.

4)Confiscate all the ships. If any ships are needed for fishing etc., they will only work under garrison supervision.

Kill Balon, Euron, Aeron and Victarion. Put their heads on spikes as an example. Theon either gets fostered in Highgarden or sent to take the black. Marry Asha to some lordling from the Riverlands or the Crownlands. Put Rodrik Harlaw in charge, he knows the Old Ways are dead and will "modernise" the ironborn to some extent.

:agree:

Asha might have been a good match for Edmure, or perhaps a Mallister.

Theon when he came of age, could have become a knight and allowed to distinguish himself somewhere-just keep him away from the islands, or he could have been sent to Castle Black like Jon was...thing is he actually would have been happier with that than going back to the Islands. Other options would have been the Faith or the Citadel...but it's Theon we're talking about here, so the NW it is.

Convert all of Westeros to Iron Born Society. It is the only society of natural living beings, after Dothraki. Make alliances with Dothraki and conquer the World! For life is but a war against the World and the only peace is death! And those who love death are freaks of nature!!!!!!!

Marry Theon to Arianne Martell.

To quote Okonkwo: "Those were the days when men were men,"

Archived