National anthems

Reposado

i feel like this has come up before in threads but im pretty sure it hasnt had its own thread

so basically, do you like youre national anthem? and what do you think it should be?

and what makes a good national anthem? personally, i feel like it should represent the country's music. most anthems are marches or some sort of classical music. these are appropriate anthems for germany, austria, switzerland, italy etc. not appropriate for nations that didnt even exist during times where these genres were being created. also, it should probably be about the country or at least about something significant to the country's culture or history.

to start, the USA,. i hate our anthem. its overly millitant and not a very good song. the better choice is somewhat obvious but national anthems should be obvious. the anthem of usa should be america the beautiful. and, because i think it should be done in a very american style, i think the ray charles version should be official. really, what's more american than soul music?

other countries, that i dont live in, but am familiar with their musical history

jamaica: jimmy cliff's oh jamaica. it's absolutley criminal that the national anthem of jamaica isn't a reggae song. this is one is so perfect that it's pretty much why i started the thread

trinidad and tobago: a bit tougher, since you need to decide between a calypso song and a soca song. i'd pick mighty sparrow - our model nation. its the most thematically appropriate

Everyone hates the Star-Spangled banner except people who totally overdo it singing it at stadiums. I used to sing the national anthem before games in college and did it in a straightforward manner. It's fun to sing if you have the range, but usually it's not in a good key for crowds and thus not really suited for being a national anthem. (The national anthem should be for crowds to sing. Really, I'm not the hugest fan of pure patriotism but if you're going to do it, do it right!) I'd also prefer "America the Beautiful".

ETA: My actual preferred anthem is "This Land is My Land" but that'll never get adopted. :P

I love the Star Spangled Banner, it isn't any more militant than the French national anthem but I suppose I would be satisfied with My Country Tis of Thee.

hm. well the french anthem may be the best in the world. would never change that one

forgot one. with the multiple musical traditions of mexico, the current one is pretty bad. it doesnt even feature the tuba

mexico lindo y querido

i feel like this has come up before in threads but im pretty sure it hasnt had its own thread

I think it has at least twice, but it's probably been a while.

so basically, do you like youre national anthem? and what do you think it should be?

For Britain, I think God Save The Queen is a bit of a dirge, I don't like either the tune or the lyrics. I'm not really sure what to replace it with, though.

For Scotland, we don't officially have a national anthem (I suppose that might change soon), there's always been some debate about what it would be. I think Flower of Scotland works fine for sporting events (the combination of being confrontational and wondering if there might possible be a victory at some indeterminate time in the future is perfect for Scottish sport), but I'm not sure a song focusing on events in the 14th Century is the best choice for a national anthem.

As for other anthems, I like the French and Italian anthems. If the Welsh existed they might have a good anthem as well. On the other hand, I do agree the American anthem is rubbish.

I think it has at least twice, but it's probably been a while.

i feel like there was a best anthem thread. but not a what should anthems be thread.

how about south africa? the current anthem has some solid point, specifically the multitude of languages used, but the lack of afrobeat is a negative.

and i do think that multi-racial is the most significant aspect of south africa, the sound should feature african and european influences.

maybe johnny clegg and savuku - great heart

hm. well the french anthem may be the best in the world. would never change that one

forgot one. with the multiple musical traditions of mexico, the current one is pretty bad. it doesnt even feature the tuba

mexico lindo y querido

Wow, Mexico's national anthem is not Mexico, Lindo y Querido or are you implying it should be change to that?.

It has been years since I heard it so I don't remember exactly how it goes but I feel I little suprise if it would be consider the national anthem. It is not really about us as a culture, I acknowledge it is a good song and has a nice message to it but I don't see it as a national anthem.

Mexico's anthem is a militar one and I don't really believe it should be change (at most the part where it mention God, but at the same time it is part of our culture) to fit the musical flavor of a country, specially since music keeps changing the national music will not be tha same now as it was 5 years ago or in the next ten years.

The lyrics reveal sacrifie and the duty we have to our country. And it is not supose to be flashy and it is mostly performe with only trumpets and drums.

I believe it is a little weird to propose national anthems to another country that is not our own, since sometimes we don't have the same attachmant to that country and our cultural views compromise what should be represented.

I'm not familiar with a whole lot. I think I'm really only familiar with USA, Canada, God Save the Queen, Russia, and France. France and Russia stand head and shoulders above the other three, IMO.

And yes, star-spangled banner is waaaaaay too hard to sing. I went to an NBA game not too long ago, where they had the crowd as the only singers, and specifically requested everyone sing along as some tribute to troops at the game. It was absolutely brutal.

I'm not familiar with a whole lot. I think I'm really only familiar with USA, Canada, God Save the Queen, Russia, and France. France and Russia stand head and shoulders above the other three, IMO.

And yes, star-spangled banner is waaaaaay too hard to sing. I went to an NBA game not too long ago, where they had the crowd as the only singers, and specifically requested everyone sing along as some tribute to troops at the game. It was absolutely brutal.

I feel like it is hard to sing because it was a poem that was set to music later. Plus it shames me to admit that not many people actually know the words. When I go to sporting events I usually sing along and I'm one of the only people that do.

The Soviet National anthem was my alarm for years.

For Scotland, we don't officially have a national anthem (I suppose that might change soon), there's always been some debate about what it would be. I think Flower of Scotland works fine for sporting events (the combination of being confrontational and wondering if there might possible be a victory at some indeterminate time in the future is perfect for Scottish sport), but I'm not sure a song focusing on events in the 14th Century is the best choice for a national anthem.

Neither does the UK, or many other countries.

Wow, Mexico's national anthem is not Mexico, Lindo y Querido or are you implying it should be change to that?.

It has been years since I heard it so I don't remember exactly how it goes but I feel I little suprise if it would be consider the national anthem. It is not really about us as a culture, I acknowledge it is a good song and has a nice message to it but I don't see it as a national anthem.

Mexico's anthem is a militar one and I don't really believe it should be change (at most the part where it mention God, but at the same time it is part of our culture) to fit the musical flavor of a country, specially since music keeps changing the national music will not be tha same now as it was 5 years ago or in the next ten years.

The lyrics reveal sacrifie and the duty we have to our country. And it is not supose to be flashy and it is mostly performe with only trumpets and drums.

I believe it is a little weird to propose national anthems to another country that is not our own, since sometimes we don't have the same attachmant to that country and our cultural views compromise what should be represented.

saying it should be. not saying that it should be a pop hit. but part of a country's musical tradition.

and dont worry, i dont think national assemblies will be reading this thread and getting ideas

A note on the German anthem: at a point in our history, it was the so-called "Kaiserquartett" by Haydn and accidentally that's the same tune as the English anthem - with different lyrics of course.

The French anthem is quite bloody - considering the lyrics. And it's pretty patriotic.

I personally like the anthem of the republic of Ireland.

Archived