National anthems

Reposado

long? No brah. I've had various issues with it in the past(pronunciation is a pain when you're dealing with 5 different languages) but length has never been one of them.

Out of curiosity, which nation has the shortest national anthem?

While there are a lot of verses to God Save the Queen, the version that usually gets sung is only 7 lines long, which is pretty short. FWIW, the versions on the wikipedia articles for GStQ and Kimigayo (the Japanese anthem) are both exactly 1 minute long.

ST

I guess what makes a good national anthem would be the sound/rhythm and the words. I like the German anthem, and being from South Africa our national anthem is ok, it sounds very similar in the beginning to the Zambian anthem though. The Brazilian anthem sounds pretty cool. But as for words the USA has some powerful words.

While there are a lot of verses to God Save the Queen, the version that usually gets sung is only 7 lines long, which is pretty short. FWIW, the versions on the wikipedia articles for GStQ and Kimigayo (the Japanese anthem) are both exactly 1 minute long.

ST

Now, do we call that efficiency or just plain laziness?

Also, I had no idea there were so many south africans on the board.

Now, do we call that efficiency or just plain laziness?

Also, I had no idea there were so many south africans on the board.

Well, GTSQ is one of the earliest anthems around, so I'm going to say that it's the right length, and subsequent longer anthems from other countries are just the anthemic equivalents of penis extensions inspired by national insecurity. :cool4:

• 6 months later...

i feel like there was a best anthem thread. but not a what should anthems be thread.

how about south africa? the current anthem has some solid point, specifically the multitude of languages used, but the lack of afrobeat is a negative.

and i do think that multi-racial is the most significant aspect of south africa, the sound should feature african and european influences.

maybe johnny clegg and savuku - great heart

The South African National Anthem already incorporates one of the seminal songs of the liberation movement, Nkosi Sikelele, it doesn't get much more African than that. Especially since Afrobeat is more synonymous with West Africa than Southern Africa. It's a beautiful anthem and speaks to their region.

As far as African anthems go, besides SA I also happen to like Angola (Angola Avante tourist ad) and Senegal's (Le Lion Rouge) pieces although these can be criticized for the lack of local languages. Still the lyrics have some intrinsic themes that speak to their countries.

Wasn't the biggest fan of the Nigerian anthem until I heard Beyonce's beautiful rendition.

I personally really like the Palestinian National Anthem...

Hatikva is the beautiful anthem of Israel!!!

Are you trying to innescate another intifada?

I just want a slice of lemon cake.

And I am not a Stark...

Hodor!

La Marseillaise is not musically the best (too much drum rolls I find), and yes, the lyrics are very violent (the chorus is basically about filling furrows with "unpure" blood), but it's still very enjoyable. I played a couple of game with the U13 french national team, and even though there were like, 50 people there, it felt like playing in the Maracaña.

Anthems do that to you, I guess.

I like Slovenia's anthem. The lyrics are the seventh strophe of a song called "A Toast" and they do not speak of any particular land, people, landscapre treasures or any of that, but defend "peace over the whole world" instead.

Some clever politicians had an idea about a year ago to make the whole song (all the eight strophes) the national anthem. I do wonder how that would look like at the sporting events, I am pretty sure most people cannot sing the whole thing by heart and it would be a tiny bit long too.

I don't feel like I'm qualified enough to talk about whether or not the Macedonian anthem it's musically enjoyable or not. I'm also biased. I'm not exactly the most patriotic person in the world, but the national anthem gives me goosebumps most of the time. It's like a heat of the moment thing. After that, I remember how horrible my country is.

Lyrically speaking,I I think it's quite nice. Four stanzas, but we cut it down to three. I don't think I've ever heard the fourth one, actually, only read it. The lyrics mainly focus on the 10-day Republic of 1903, but the rest of the anthem also sings about the struggle of the Macedonian people as a whole while under Ottoman rule.

As for other anthems, I'm gonna be pretty generic. My favorite is God Save the Queen. I also feel like the United States should adopt My Country 'Tis of Thee as their national anthem. Just cause I like the tune more. And I also have a soft spot for The Deutschlandlied.

God Save The Queen is one of the worst national anthems I know. It's not anything to do with the country and how it's the best country in the world (which seems to be what most national anthems are), and it's political as well - there have been several sportspeople (including at least one England football captain) who refuse to sing it because they're republicans. It doesn't even have an inspiring tune that we can put better words to.

Dear Lord.... Our Australian Anthem (Advance Australia Fair) is a pretty boring one TBH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8tswkr25A0

I'll give you that but raise you this Australian National Anthem version.

And also add that how many other songs, written works, shows, movies. Even general conversations, do you know of that have used the word "Girt"? Could be something to be proud of.... Maybe.

I don't think the star spangled banner is that militaristic, those fuckers were trying take Baltimore from us.

I'm probably biased because I went to a couple hundred Whalers home games, and Tony Harrington absolutely killed it with both the US and Canadien anthems (including French verses). So those are always going to be two of my favorites.

ETA: My actual preferred anthem is "This Land is My Land" but that'll never get adopted. :P

LOL...

Serbian hymn is a bit comtroversial for it is a bit too religious in sense that many people can't identify with it due to lack of belief or simply being of other religious belief like Muslims, Jews, Catholics etc...

Another controversial anthem-Montenergin is so wonderful. I adore it, even with those cobtroversial verses...

Archived