College Basketball 2014: Blue Blooded Court Storming Edition

Rhom

Mizzou in the play-in game. I guess based on the home win against UCLA back in December? Because I can't find one other quality team they've beaten unless you count Arkansas (who again, have 3 top-35 or so wins) which still isn't quite in the top 50. Even if Mizzou wins out they'll only be 10-8 in a horrendous SEC without a win against either of the two good teams in the conference. Mind blowing.

the "new" play in game concept still baffles me. Why are teams playing in for an 11/12 seed? Shouldn't that mean that they are better than teams in the 13-16 range?

Looks like last night's win got Oregon in? I saw them as one of the first four out yesterday.

I wonder if UCLA's lack of a quality win is what has them only a 7. They are the #2 team in a league that is sending five or six seven on that and includes a 1 seed. I was hoping for them to perhaps be like a 4.

That amazes me. Wasn't it just two years ago that the Pac10 was practically a one bid league?

Re: UK

BAH. I feel like the Harrisons have just as much downside as upside. If you're going to charge the lane alone against 3 defenders and not pass, you damned well better finish. It was like a broken record last night. Young was terrible and either can't or won't play defense. This team baffles me probably more than last year's. Free throws. No way UK can put together more than 2 victories in the postseason.

On a lighter note, I'm going to start taking an over/under on how many times Bob Knight will say "shot fake" during a telecast.

If he weren't Bobby Knight, I would have almost felt bad for him last night. The man clearly doesn't actually know what's going on in front of him half the time. Shame, because his first year commentating I was astounded to find myself actually enjoying listening to him call a game because of the actual in game strategy and insight he was giving.

the "new" play in game concept still baffles me. Why are teams playing in for an 11/12 seed? Shouldn't that mean that they are better than teams in the 13-16 range?

A way to weed out the bubbliest of bubble teams, I guess. Even with my team being perennially on or near the bubble I still think it's pretty stupid.

In depth assessment of current college football status:

Go Gators! Woooooooo! Number 1.

The end.

Are we doing bracketology again? I won after the first round, then three of my final four promptly lost and screwed me in the process.

13 minutes until March!!!

The end.

Are we doing bracketology again? I won after the first round, then three of my final four promptly lost and screwed me in the process.

Take it to the football thread?

The end.

In depth assessment of March Madness: Many a No. 1 seed has fallen unexpectedly in March Madness, and no No. 1 is immune to March's madness.

In depth assessment of March Madness: Many a No. 1 seed has fallen unexpectedly in March Madness, and no No. 1 is immune to March's madness.

And today could prove that again.

Witchita v. Missouri St - last time WS had to come back from 19 down to remain unbeathen

Cuse v. Va - for bragging rights in the ACC and Cuse has shown themselves over the last few weeks to be vulnerable

UF v. LSU - LSU needs a win to give them a solid shot at the tourney, UF wants a win to try to go undefeated

AZ isn't playing today, but after today definitely 2 of those teams could be looking at L's which would really throw the rankings for a loop. And with 7 of the top 10,placements up to 3 seeds could be mixed around.

Take it to the football thread?

LOL. Wishful thinking on my part. Maybe next year we'll do better.

I know I know. Just let me celebrate for a minute will ya!!! I'm a Gator Mom with a kids at the Uni and alumni too. I will celebrate and be thankful and remember that the last time we had that record, we won the National Championship.

SWAC is including 4 teams in the post season tourney that can not advance to the NCAAs due to sanctions...is there really any other reason than getting tickets sold for the conference tourney?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24461980/swac-allows-four-ineligible-teams-in-conference-tournament

SWAC is including 4 teams in the post season tourney that can not advance to the NCAAs due to sanctions...is there really any other reason than getting tickets sold for the conference tourney?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24461980/swac-allows-four-ineligible-teams-in-conference-tournament

I would imagine the NCAA has a minimum number of teams necessary to participate to even have a conference tournament. This thing certainly isn't going to sell any tickets.

The state that the HBC's have fallen into really is sad.

And today could prove that again.

Witchita v. Missouri St - last time WS had to come back from 19 down to remain unbeathen

Cuse v. Va - for bragging rights in the ACC and Cuse has shown themselves over the last few weeks to be vulnerable

UF v. LSU - LSU needs a win to give them a solid shot at the tourney, UF wants a win to try to go undefeated

AZ isn't playing today, but after today definitely 2 of those teams could be looking at L's which would really throw the rankings for a loop. And with 7 of the top 10,placements up to 3 seeds could be mixed around.

Well, only one of those ended up losing, but wow did Cuse get pasted in the 2nd half.

Damn, Rhom, your thread title jinxed us both today. :lol: OSU took the lead off of a Marcus Smart flop, that Bilas even called him out on, and never relinquished it. Is it too late for the Academy to write him in for an award tomorrow?

:tantrum:

Who would y'all pick to win it all this year if forced to make a pick right at this moment in time? I feel like Arizona and Syracuse were looking really solid a few weeks ago, but Ashley's injury takes U of A down a peg and the recent play of Syracuse takes them down a peg. I still consider both of them to be serious contenders though. Are some of these teams that sneaked up on me like Villanova and Cincinnati that good? Is Wichita State an actual contender to win the whole thing?

I don't want to discount what Wichita has done this year especially coming off of what they did in the tournament last year, but it's so difficult to peg a mid-major type is likely to win six straight.

ETA: Florida and Duke are obviously very much in the mix.

Florida. They have talent, experience, and depth. And probably most importantly, Wilbekin has the right kind of cockiness to lead a team to a championship.

Wichita has S16 loss written all over them to me. Their schedule has been a joke (although, very big props to them for coming through it unscathed, even against lesser competition that's an impressive feat); look at what has happened to Syracuse once they started facing real teams. It reminds me of the Mike Tyson axiom: "everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." I think Wichita has yet to be punched in the face.

A lovely article on Dean Smith and his dementia:

[Dean Smith] was appalled in 1986 when he learned that the new basketball arena at North Carolina was going to be named the Dean E. Smith Center. “They should name it for the players,” he said. “I never scored a single point.”

“Look at the plaque,” he would say, pointing to the plaque underneath the bust of him.

It said: “Dean E. Smith . . . 1931- ”

“They’re just waiting to fill in the second number,” he’d say, gleeful because in spite of his God-like status in North Carolina, he could point out tangible evidence that those who had built the building named for him knew he was mortal.

Archived