Sansa and Petyr

Lost Melnibonean

As distasteful as it seems, after rooting for her to retain her innocence through five books, I'm beginning to believe that Sansa will end up with Petyr, either as his wife or his lover, probably not his victim...

Exhibit A

When Sansa finally looked up, a man was standing over her, staring. He was short, with a pointed beard and a silver streak in his hair, almost as old as her father. "You must be one of her daughters," he said to her. He had grey-green eyes that did not smile when his mouth did. "You have the Tully look."

"I'm Sansa Stark," she said, ill at ease. The man wore a heavy cloak with a fur collar, fastened with a silver mockingbird, and he had the effortless manner of a high lord, but she did not know him. "I have not had the honor, my lord."

Septa Mordane quickly took a hand. "Sweet child, this is Lord Petyr Baelish, of the king's small council."

"Your mother was my queen of beauty once," the man said quietly. His breath smelled of mint. "You have her hair." His fingers brushed against her cheek as he stroked one auburn lock. Quite abruptly he turned and walked away.

Exhibit B

Sansa had no choice but to explain about heroes and monsters. The king's councillor smiled. "Well, those are not the reasons I'd have given, but . . . " He had touched her cheek, his thumb lightly tracing the line of a cheekbone. "Life is not a song, sweetling. You may learn that one day to your sorrow."

Exhibit C

Sansa seated herself beside the queen. Cersei smiled again, but that did not make her feel any less anxious. Varys was wringing his soft hands together, Grand Maester Pycelle kept his sleepy eyes on the papers in front of him, but she could feel Littlefinger staring. Something about the way the small man looked at her made Sansa feel as though she had no clothes on. Goose bumps pimpled her skin. ...

"She reminds me of the mother, not the father," Lord Petyr Baelish said quietly. "Look at her. The hair, the eyes. She is the very image of Cat at the same age."

Exhibit D

Last night I dreamed of that time Lysa and I got lost while riding back from Seagard. Do you remember? That strange fog came up and we fell behind the rest of the party. Everything was grey, and I could not see a foot past the nose of my horse. We lost the road. The branches of the trees were like long skinny arms reaching out to grab us as we passed. Lysa started to cry, and when I shouted the fog seemed to swallow the sound. But Petyr knew where we were, and he rode back and found us . . . Catelyn to an unconscious Hoster, Catelyn VII, Clash

Replace Catelyn and Lysa with Sansa. As they lost the road, Sansa lost her direwolf and her connection to House Stark. As Petyr found and saved them as Catelyn recalls it, Petyr came back at great risk and saved Sansa from House Lannister.

Exhibit E

But his sister had left the wilds, to walk in the halls of man-rock where other hunters ruled, and once within those halls it was hard to find the path back out. The wolf prince remembered.--Bran I, Storm

Exhibit F

He brushed back a strand of her hair. "You are old enough to know that your mother and I were more than friends. There was a time when Cat was all I wanted in this world. I dared to dream of the life we might make and the children she would give me . . . but she was a daughter of Riverrun, and Hoster Tully. Family, Duty, Honor, Sansa. Family, Duty, Honor meant I could never have her hand. But she gave me something finer, a gift a woman can give but once. How could I turn my back upon her daughter? In a better world, you might have been mine, not Eddard Stark's. My loyal loving daughter . . . Put Joffrey from your mind, sweetling. Dontos, Tyrion, all of them. They will never trouble you again. You are safe now, that's all that matters. You are safe with me, and sailing home." Sansa V, Storm

Exhibit G

And then there's the rather perverted snow castle scene which culminates in a kiss, not an unkiss but kiss that tastes of mint to which Sansa yields for half a heartbeat...

Sansa tried to step back, but he pulled her into his arms and suddenly he was kissing her. Feebly, she tried to squirm, but only succeeded in pressing herself more tightly against him. His mouth was on hers, swallowing her words. He tasted of mint. For half a heartbeat she yielded to his kiss . . . before she turned her face away and wrenched free. What are you doing?Sansa VII, Storm

I hardly doubt this. Sansa will break free from his clutches. The pomegranate scene between Sansa and Petyr says it all. Plus Little Finger's endgame is most likely getting beheaded and his head spiked on the walls of winterfell. As a compensation for being part of Ned's death ^_^

I hardly doubt this. Sansa will break free from his clutches. The pomegranate scene between Sansa and Petyr says it all. Plus Little Finger's endgame is most likely getting beheaded and his head spiked on the walls of winterfell. As a compensation for being part of Ned's death ^_^

Agreed; the pomegranate thing was a bit too telling for me, and he specifically offers her one.

I think that's his plan but I don't think he'll succeed. I've got this idea that he knows about Aegon and plans to marry Sansa to him, then after she gets pregnant conveniently bump off her husband and marry her himself, thus taking over the kingdom as regent and raising the next king or queen as his own child. He gets the IT in a sense, and Cat 2.0.

Thing is, I figure Sansa will stand up to him and refuse to play along, at which point he'll decide to kill her and she gets saved either by Sandor or Arya.

she gets saved either by Sandor or Arya.

I sincerely hope that this doesn't happen. Sansa represents the deconstruction of the damsel in distress trope and her being saved by someone would enable that trope instead of deconstruct it. In fact the way her narrative is going it is highly likely she will same herself. Which is, IMO, wildly poetic.

• 2 weeks later...

Exhibit B

Sansa had no choice but to explain about heroes and monsters. The king's councillor smiled. "Well, those are not the reasons I'd have given, but . . . " He had touched her cheek, his thumb lightly tracing the line of a cheekbone. "Life is not a song, sweetling. You may learn that one day to your sorrow."

Friggin horndog...

It is considered a sort of "worst case scenario" among hardcore Lemoncakes, and rarely acknowledged as even possible.

Yes, the cliffhanger ending at the end of her part in AFFC leaves it an open question whether she will or won't gravitate towards Littefinger romantically, pitting her growing suspicion of how he operates ruthlessly and manipulates people, versus her growing admiration for how he operates ruthlessly and manipulates people.

Yes, the odds are against it - perhaps strongly against it - but I would never call it impossible to have GRRM have the story take (another) turn towards injustice or tragedy, either as a foolish mistake on her part or willingly as a choice to be closer to him or more like him.

Now here's some gravol for you while you consider Sansa and Littlefinger as a couple. :ack:

I really like Littlefinger and Sansa. I also really like ketchup and nutella, but there is no way to combine them without being gross. I can definitely see him continuing to escalate his...advances. I'm almost positive that he's plotting to marry her too. If they do get together, I don't think that it will be the ending of the story- he's made too many messes and he's bound to slip and fall on one of them (probably with a push from Sansa). Another thing to keep in mind is that he doesn't just want to get into her smallclothes, he wants her to fall in love with him the way that Cat never did, hence the grooming and deception even though she is already entirely under his control. She doesn't seem to be falling for him despite his efforts (gee I wonder why not :ack:), but she might play along with it in the future for her own gain.

. Another thing to keep in mind is that he doesn't just want to get into her smallclothes, he wants her to fall in love with him the way that Cat never did, hence the grooming and deception even though she is already entirely under his control. She doesn't seem to be falling for him despite his efforts (gee I wonder why not :ack:), but she might play along with it in the future for her own gain.

Oh, no doubt. Sansa is not just another girl - he wants her to see his worthiness, to want the same goals as him, and to want him. (Why else be so demonstrative to her ?) He's going about it in a manipulative way, but in his head I imagine he's got some fantasy of her being the new Mrs. Baelish - a wife with the sort of beauty and breeding that he was told was way out of his league.

As you say, she may use it against him - one option for what Sansa becomes, someone who can (with some callousness) do this to people - even him. She's certainly more of a "player" of the game if she does.

I wrote a very long thing about Sansa and LF last year (or the year before?) in the Sansa PTP thread - maybe check it out. ...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76786-from-pawn-to-player-rethinking-sansa-xv/#entry3804345

Sansa either has a much more important and poignant role to play in the story, or she is going to remain a pawn in the game played by smarter characters. If GRRM has a grand idea of how she will progress then she can't remain in the clutches of Littlefinger. However, she does seem, thus far, to be little more than a pretty face with a powerful heritage. If she continues to be just that, then I could understand her being tethered to Baelish and ultimately being killed off.

I hope Sansa kills him. Does she know about the part he played in her fathers death... and really, the destruction of her family?

Nope and one of the people who knew had his head chopped off by Jon, one had his throat slit by some little birds, one is a Eunuch doing his own game, one was regicided, one is Cersei and one is somebody who she doesn't trust and is married to.

Oh, no doubt. Sansa is not just another girl - he wants her to see his worthiness, to want the same goals as him, and to want him. (Why else be so demonstrative to her ?) He's going about it in a manipulative way, but in his head I imagine he's got some fantasy of her being the new Mrs. Baelish - a wife with the sort of beauty and breeding that he was told was way out of his league.

As you say, she may use it against him - one option for what Sansa becomes, someone who can (with some callousness) do this to people - even him. She's certainly more of a "player" of the game if she does.

I wrote a very long thing about Sansa and LF last year (or the year before?) in the Sansa PTP thread - maybe check it out. ...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/76786-from-pawn-to-player-rethinking-sansa-xv/#entry3804345

Wow, I read the whole thing and that was really well done and detailed, thanks!

Archived