Small Questions v 10025

Stubby

Sorry for the delay in starting this one - had internet issues. :rolleyes:

I found this outstanding question from Lost Melnibonean:

Do we ever find out who Gregor's first two wives were? And I can't recall, did he actually wed the third? He never had any (not so) wee ones did he?

Again, please the report the thread when it gets to 400 posts.

Thanks.

Is there a specific reason GRRM spells grey with an e and not an a? I don't really know the conventions for this, but I guess in general a is American.

I thought there was an SSM on this but I couldn't find it, however HERE is a thread debating the two. :)

But I think it's just writer's choice.

Is there a specific reason GRRM spells grey with an e and not an a? I don't really know the conventions for this, but I guess in general a is American.

It looks like...

grey is a colour in all the world using the English language and

gray is the same color Americanized. Shibboleth!

Gray vs. grey

Gray and grey are different spellings of the same word, and both are used throughout the English-speaking world. But gray is more common in American English, while grey is more common in all the other main varieties of English. In the U.K., for instance, grey appears about twenty times for every instance of gray. In the U.S. the ratio is reversed.

Both spellings, which have origins in the Old English grǽg, have existed hundreds of years.1Grey gained ascendancy in all varieties of English in the early 18th century, but its dominance as the preferred form was checked when American writers adopted gray about a century later. As the Ngram below shows, this change in American English came around 1825. Since then, both forms have remained fairly common throughout the English-speaking world, but the favoring of gray in the U.S. and grey everywhere else has remained consistent.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/gray-grey/

Are we ever given any indication of Valyrian bastard names? Anywhere?

Don't know that it has ever been brought up, as we don't ever experience Valyria, but we may in a flashback. We know they may acknowledged Bastards as far back as Aegon I before his landing. Not sure what Orys was though, a bastard brother or a legitimate half brother. After the landing they sure didn't mind about using bastard names. Though I don't know if the crown has ever had a Waters as usually the mother took the Bastard children.

Valyria is gone but does Essos have bastard names? You could try seeing if you can find anything on Bastards in Essos.

It looks like...

grey is a colour in all the world using the English language and

gray is the same color Americanized. Shibboleth!

http://grammarist.com/spelling/gray-grey/

:agree:

As a Brit I never even thought there could be anything wrong with this. Who'd a thought :lol:

Re: Gregor's wivesI don't think we know of who they were, and no.children are ever mentioned

Sorry for the delay in starting this one - had internet issues. :rolleyes:

I found this outstanding question from Lost Melnibonean:

Again, please the report the thread when it gets to 400 posts.

Thanks.

Chapter 30 thrones, Ned mention Gregor is suppose to Wed again, don't think he ever did though. He is constantly on the move and at war for most of his time after the Tourney of the hand.

Don't know that it has ever been brought up, as we don't ever experience Valyria, but we may in a flashback. We know they may acknowledged Bastards as far back as Aegon I before his landing. Not sure what Orys was though, a bastard brother or a legitimate half brother. After the landing they sure didn't mind about using bastard names. Though I don't know if the crown has ever had a Waters as usually the mother took the Bastard children.

Valyria is gone but does Essos have bastard names? You could try seeing if you can find anything on Bastards in Essos.

I was thinking maybe that was something else the Targaryens picked up after coming to Westeros, since Aegon made Orys his Hand, the "bastard" mark didn't seem to affect his choice(if he was indeed a bastard). The only Essosi name that comes to mind right off is Mero, I'll have to poke through the Essos chapters again and see if I come across anything.

According to SSMs Orys was his bastard brother, and Baratheon was his name:

He offered the hand of his daughter in marriage as well as dowry lands. However, many of those lands were in fact in the possession of Harren the Black. Aegon refused and instead offered the hand of his best friend and bastard brother, Orys Baratheon.

Was Baratheon the house name of the last Storm King?

NO. Baratheon is Orys' surname.

I'd be more interested in learning why GRRM spells a dozen other words completely unconventionally (pease, ser, nuncle, leal). Grey and gray are both conventional spellings

I'd be more interested in learning why GRRM spells a dozen other words completely unconventionally (pease, ser, nuncle, leal). Grey and gray are both conventional spellings

It gives the story some flair.

More interesting are the common words like Ser and Sept for Sir-knight and church :-)

Name day/nameday for birthday etc,

IIRC, there's an SSM about the ser/sir subject, but I can't find it right now... I can't remember what it's called :P

someone in this forum had linked an external (maybe their own?) article about the slight changes of writing and meaning in Grrm's Seven Kingdoms world putting weight on ser and sept.

If I did my search waterproof then there is no SSM containing both the words Ser or ser and Sir or sir as well.

IIRC, there's an SSM about the ser/sir subject, but I can't find it right now... I can't remember what it's called :P

Wasn't it something to do with avoiding the association of knights with Arthur and the Round Table or something? Maybe that was just something another poster said though (I think it was Lady Gwyn actually)

Archived