What did you learn today?

Littlefingers In The Air

I was thinking I wanted to inquire about what it is the college boarders are learning but of course, there are high school kids and adults who go out of their way to research interesting topics as well. So, what have you learned today or recently?

In my Ethics course, we've been going over whether or not cost benefit analysis is a utilitarian concept. I had no idea what cost benefit analysis was though I always had an idea that something like it existed. We were also asked whether the automobile industry should be willing to take substantial losses to improve the safety of the vehicles.

An example we were shown from 2012 had Ford projected to lose around $100,000,000 in order to install specific types of safety devices in their vehicles. To me, that kind of loss doesn't seem worth the costs, especially when it probably means someone is going to lose their job.

That said, I'm new to the concept of cost benefit analysis and someone from the board that's more intelligent than I am on the subject could and should weigh in. :cheers:

I learned that when you have an emergency "shelter in place" drill, most college students are cool with it and allow you to herd them into darkened rooms and lock the door. I also learned that being a "building safety coordinator" is not worth the one free lunch a semester they give you.

I learned that my contact person dealing with my disability benefits had quit hear job, but that the government agency in question hadn't disconnected her answering machine. Which lead to me trying for 2 hours to reach a person who no longer worked there.

I just learned I'll have to get to 66 and a half before I can apply for Age pension.

i learned satisfaction guaranteed is a euphemism for take or leave it, we don't give a fuck...

...to think it took 60 some odd years to learn this :smoking:

What did you learn in the even years? :P

I just learned I'll have to get to 66 and a half before I can apply for Age pension.

What did you learn in the even years? :P

how to convince a beautiful woman i was the man of her dreams...just saying, the even years were the most fun... ;)

I learned that olive oil contains a compound that reduces inflammation the same way NSAIDs do and 3.5 tablespoons of quality olive oil is the equivalent of 200mg of ibuprofen.

I'd like to see a study on that.

I learned that when addressing wedding invitations, you're supposed to spell out Apartment. And a whole bunch of other stuff.

Where the hell do I put "and guest" if there are no inner envelopes?

Archived