Wyman Manderly

Dananias

Yeah i somehow doubt GRRM would play Wyman Manderly, its too big a part for him to do given his lack of acting experience, and he is too old for it anyway, plus it would take up a lot of his time. If he were going to appear in the show, I'd want it to be a cameo with only a few lines, it could even be funny as a nod to the books. But for Wyman Manderly, I would prefer someone like Ian McNeice, or Brian Blessed maybe. There are plenty of good actors out there who would fit the part

Where are people getting this idea that Wyman is youngish? Wyman was born about 239 AL, it's about 300 AL. Wyman's in his early 60s--maybe even older since they've aged everyone else in the cast up.

I'd say Martin is actually about the appropriate age given the comparison: 1947 & 2014/2015. Martin's in his late 60s...

After 40, age becomes more of a general "decade" distinction, and Martin's still well within his ability to play a man in his 60s, since he is a man in his 60s.

Now, having said that, I don't think he'd be given the part at all, but his age is not a factor, in fact he's the right age.

If the role is small but significant, they can get a big name. Guys like Brian Blessed and Brendan Gleeson (if they aren't engaged elsewhere) would jump on a character like Wyman. It's a very big show (seriously, a lot of the actors playing smaller parts can probably dine out on their role in this for years) and if they are given a character like Wyman, who doesn't appear much (so they don't have to worry about being tied down for 5 seasons) but in the few appearances he makes has some of the most badass monologues and oneliners in the entire series, they'd take the role.

If the role is small but significant, they can get a big name. Guys like Brian Blessed and Brendan Gleeson (if they aren't engaged elsewhere) would jump on a character like Wyman. It's a very big show (seriously, a lot of the actors playing smaller parts can probably dine out on their role in this for years) and if they are given a character like Wyman, who doesn't appear much (so they don't have to worry about being tied down for 5 seasons) but in the few appearances he makes has some of the most badass monologues and oneliners in the entire series, they'd take the role.

I always think of Gleeson as a 'tough guy' and that's why at first I think, nah, he can't be Manderly as it would seem that Wyman has a cowardly outward appearance, his badass is well hidden under all that suet, LOL But, Gleeson is such a fabulous actor that I'm reconsidering, he should be able to do the public and the private Manderly equally well. I'm all for it now. I agree, I think it is a role that someone like him would consider doing. It shouldn't be a big deal, timewise, but it's a pielishous part.

Brian Blessed is the obvious choice to play Wyman Manderly. Lord Wyman is described as amiable but with a big booming laugh. This role was practically gift wrapped for Brian Blessed.

:agree: But there are some other great suggestions in here too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apparently season 5 will feature 'a bit more' Stannis story.

http://www.whosay.com/articles/3043-this-got-character-will-steal-the-spotlight-in-season-5

Don't crucify me for this. I am only going off what this says. O have no idea if it's genuine info. But I imagine Wyman will play some part in this series, since Patchfaces ramblings about mermen and Lord Manderlys gathering host is set to join the flaming stag I look forward to any tWoW hints they throw in. If any.

I just hope they don't cut the Frey pies.

Mmmm hmmm

I'm sure D&D would appreciate the fan reaction to that.

No they definitely said that. And there was much excitement :drool: .

I don't really see why they would not announce the casting of Manderly if he was in. And it is one of my favourite parts of ADWD but am slowly learning to accept he won't be there :bawl: And have now moved on to wondering WHAT THE FUCK IS DAVOS GOING TO BE DOING?!?

Ian McNeice would have been amazing though the Brian Blessed suggestion has thrown me for a loop!

I don't really see why they would not announce the casting of Manderly if he was in. And it is one of my favourite parts of ADWD but am slowly learning to accept he won't be there :bawl: And have now moved on to wondering WHAT THE FUCK IS DAVOS GOING TO BE DOING?!?

Fanfiction. Duh!

My pet theory is that he will get sent off to Winterfell instead of Mance. Show!Mance is completely useless and will probably just get burnt for real. I doubt they'll bother with glamor and such like.

Fanfiction. Duh!

My pet theory is that he will get sent off to Winterfell instead of Mance. Show!Mance is completely useless and will probably just get burnt for real. I doubt they'll bother with glamor and such like.

I agree about Davos in Winterfell, though I hadn't considered the possibility that Davos could be asked to embark on a rescue mission there. Maybe he goes off mission to help with a rescue.

I think Jon might pardon or reinstate Mance or something and then send him back north of the Wall to gather the Wildlings together. But yeah, there is a definite chance that Stannis burns Mance. I think that would be the death knell on people rooting for Stannis though. (I know Stannis has burned people in the past on the show, but burning a sympathetic named character hits harder, especially when he's the only Wildling leader with a chance of settling them peacefully south of the Wall.)

Tormund?

But I agree. The final episode did include the "Eddard Stark was an honorable man, what would he do with him?" line that makes me wonder if the show may have Stannis spare Mance as he needs someone who has some knowledge and experience fight against wights and White Walkers.

Also Melisandre may have some vision in which Mance is needed, and they have another man burned, (but not LoB, someone else, hopefully not Tormund) and pass him off as Mance to make audience think mance is dead, because HBO love those big reveals and all those Youtube fan reaction videos.

GRRM likes big reveals more than HBO does.

Tormund can't unify the Wildlings, the Thenns and other various tribes aren't going to obey him.

I don't see the show burning Tormund in Mance's place. Stannis at least has a reason to burn Mance - he broke his vows. But Tormund is a sympathetic character that didn't break his vows, and he's the Wildling we know best.

Fanfiction. Duh!

It's OK I like fanfiction.

I'd still like to get at least a crumb of information as to what he'll be doing or where he'll be going.

Archived