Opinion of Aegon

The Fresh PtwP

I think he could be a good leader, he was raised from nothing, fishing and living like a normal person....not feeling like the throne is is right, like someone else I can think of. He could also be the one to bring the South back together....I think the North should remain on it's own.

I don't get how anyone can say that Aegon doesn't see the Iron Throne as his by rights... he's been raised to believe he is the rightful heir to the throne, a Prince of the Dragons. Of course he believes he has a right to it. He shows early signs of being an entitled person. The way he spoke up at the council of commanders of the Golden Company, how he acts toward Connington at Griffin's Roost, and the fore-mentioned incident of the cyvasse game with Tyrion. It is also implied that his early childhood involved him living comfortably with Illyrio, what with the child's clothing that Tyrion is made to wear, and the fondness that Illyrio has in his voice when talking to Duck and the Half-Maester when Tyrion first leaves off with them. Just because Varys-the-Spider claims to Kevan that Aegon is the Gods gift to mankind doesn't make it so. Keep in mind that Varys likely doesn't even know the boy, all he knows he gets from Illyrio who seems to worship the boy.

I really like Aegon. And the way he lives, fishing, surviving in the wild, hunting and all, he really knows what the smallfolk live like and could really be a great ruler. He seems morally upright, and is well educated to rule as a king.

The only setbacks are probably that he is young and unexperienced, and a bit hot headed and brash. But they're small faults in an overall good nature.

The fact that he's being raised knowing that ruling is his duty and not his right sets him different from most of the other claimants. If he becomes king, he'll rule well and be remembered fondly.

But securing the throne is another matter altogether. Sadly, I think he'll die young, possibly struck down by Dany who grows jealous of him or something and calls him a false dragon.

I like Aegon, I find it interesting that Joff, Robert's "son" was compared Aerys. Now we have Rhaegar's "son" leading assaults and boasting to mercenaries.

Anyways as I've stated the cyvasse game was mild. Dany, Stannis, Renly, Balon, Euron, Cersei all would've killed Hugo for that mess. You do not insult the crown!

His convo with the GC made me like him too. Yeah he was cocky, how else are you gonna talk to sellswords.

He seems to give a damn, his reasons for making Duck KG was wise.

I like Aegon, so far. I find the oncoming scenario very interesting. I can't wait to read how it all plays out, but I do think that Dany will reveal him to be a pretender, as per the visions in the House of the Undying. I believe that just as I believe she will prove Stannis is not AAR by showing his "Lightbringer" to be false. I'm hoping that this means that both characters don't necessarily die. I would love to see them come to her side.

I like Aegon, so far. I find the oncoming scenario very interesting. I can't wait to read how it all plays out, but I do think that Dany will reveal him to be a pretender, as per the visions in the House of the Undying. I believe that just as I believe she will prove Stannis is not AAR by showing his "Lightbringer" to be false. I'm hoping that this means that both characters don't necessarily die. I would love to see them come to her side.

Aegon's chance of long term survival is exactly 0%.

Anyways as I've stated the cyvasse game was mild. Dany, Stannis, Renly, Balon, Euron, Cersei all would've killed Hugo for that mess. You do not insult the crown!

I don't think all of these people would have had Hugo killed. Balon, Euron, and Cersei I could see that. Dany and Renly, they definitely wouldn't have jumped to that conclusion. Dany has had people put to death for threatening her life or attacking her, but she's ignored insults quite a bit. Renly was quite relaxed about that sort of thing. Stannis... he's a little fuzzier. He may have someone's tongue out for insulting him, depending on the insult.

I can't read about Aegon without picturing Justin Bieber in my head. Young Justin Bieber, for the analogy. He has the potential to be a good king. He acts a little bit of a punk now and then, but with Jon Con's influence he can possibly avoid becoming a huge, entitled douche as he gets older. But if we lose Jon Con to greyscale (It's not always deadly, but how long does it take to kill someone, on average? are we looking at months or possibly years here?), we could watch Aegon go full on egg-throwing, drag-racing asshole who everyone wants to deport.

What I want to read in Jon Con's chapters are:

What has he been told about the last Targaryans? Has he been briefed on Aerys "The Mad King" and his father, Rhaegar's, intentions to make changes? Has everything been sugar coated for him as it seems everyone has done for Danaerys? Will his rule show that he has learned from history or will he just go in completely entitled and rule however he wants to once he gets there? Answers to these questions are paramount to whether I prefer him or Dany to be my champion for the Iron Throne. For this, I need some more POV info from someone who is NOT Tyrion, judging him, but having conversations and maybe correcting him or reminding him of content that's been taught.

@PrimeRhaegar-

I'm afraid he will turn out EXACTLY like Robb. Noble, well-intentioned, well-trained, kicks a bunch of asses, makes the whole realm tremble, and dies of a stupid mistake.

Pretty much my thought exactly. Surprised no one else has posted something on this line either. When they started talking about marriage for Aegon, I was like "Pretty sure I've read this part of the series before."

I don't get how anyone can say that Aegon doesn't see the Iron Throne as his by rights... he's been raised to believe he is the rightful heir to the throne, a Prince of the Dragons. Of course he believes he has a right to it. He shows early signs of being an entitled person. The way he spoke up at the council of commanders of the Golden Company, how he acts toward Connington at Griffin's Roost, and the fore-mentioned incident of the cyvasse game with Tyrion. It is also implied that his early childhood involved him living comfortably with Illyrio, what with the child's clothing that Tyrion is made to wear, and the fondness that Illyrio has in his voice when talking to Duck and the Half-Maester when Tyrion first leaves off with them. Just because Varys-the-Spider claims to Kevan that Aegon is the Gods gift to mankind doesn't make it so. Keep in mind that Varys likely doesn't even know the boy, all he knows he gets from Illyrio who seems to worship the boy.

This is what I don't understand either. All that Varys claims about Aegon seems untrue to me. He knows who he is and in my opinion does act "entitled" which of course he would since he knows who he is, since he knows they're planning to put him on the throne, since he knows he's been privileged to have guardians and tutors, etc.

I don't see the evidence of having to survive or being hunted at all. No one seems to have the faintest clue that he still exists so how could he feel like he is being hunted and trying to survive?

It doesn't seem to me that they are starving or hurting for supplies.

Varys' speech bugs the heck out of me because of these things.

And he does act like a spoiled brat with the Cyvasse board. And to Connington too.

Anyone can learn a bunch of languages and history. That doesn't mean they'll be a good king for the people whatsoever. I can't buy that this is really Varys' plan because it is illogical and incorrect. Why on earth would anyone believe that telling a child he is entitled to a throne would not, in fact, lead to his developing that attitude?

If Aegon is truly Aegon, I don't like that he was told. It ruins the whole thing Varys claims to be attempting.

I found him arrogant at times, childish, and a little too teenaged boyish but I suppose he is one right?

Not a fan of the plot development, but he could turn out cool. I haven't written him off but I call BS on Varys. If he truly believes what he's selling he is about to be sorry I fear.

Not a fan of the plot development, but he could turn out cool. I haven't written him off but I call BS on Varys. If he truly believes what he's selling he is about to be sorry I fear.

I agree with your post. Aegon has never been made to actually survive in the gutter. He's been surrounded by people who would step in and take care of everything the moment something serious actually came up. He was never hunted. He has been handed his education, he has been given everything he's ever had, all because he is to be king some day. Illryio has financially supported him, and he's been given a noble guardian. I think he has potential, but in the same way Joffrey had potential. And we all know how far off Joffrey went. At least Aegon has been taught some discipline.

Yeah but how much discipline can the boy really have when ever the situation get sticky he has someone more experienced to step in and take over for him. His path to the throne has been laid out for him since his birth. Even after the sack of KL he's had someone looking over him shaping him, guiding him making him in their image of what a perfect prince is suppose to be.

This whole marriage scheme to marry him to Dany was at best far fetch what reason would Dany have for excepting him as her consort? She's the one with dragons, she's the one with the larger army that he had not hand in helping her get. Not to mention that she has the finest foot soldier in the world. What part did Aegon or those that are backing him have in that besides the Cheesemonger giving her the eggs? Nothing Unlike with Aegon they gave him education, financial means, she had to live one step of knives and listening to the talk about her brother she had to see her mother's crown sold in order for her to eat. He's never been hungry or starved. He's never been sold by his family for he price of an army. She spent his child hood in terror while he spent his time chillin in Pentos or wondering the Essos so he could be train all the while being protected.

He can't help that he spoiled or that he's got a sense of entitlement, he's like his uncle Viserys that way thinking that he's suppose to have the throne because that's what he's been taught and trained for.

I don't think that people don't like him because he's not Jon but rather because we are meeting him so late in the series. They haven't had the same amount of time to grow attached and want to root for him because we know so little about him and his history. His character is up in the air. He could be legit, bastard, offshoot branch, pisswater prince or a total figment of Tyrion's vast imagination.

That total isolation may be a huge factor in his character. He hasn't spent much time in the way of women or been in their company long enough to know how they operate. leaving his wits open to the charms of Adrianna and The slut of Tyrell. Between the two he isn't going to know which way is up. Let either or both of these women get there hooks in him and its a game changer. Yet they also could be beneficial to his cause neither is a stupid woman and both know how to use their charms and their names and upbringing to the best of their advantage. He very well could go the route of the first Aegon and leave the administration of the realm in their hands.

Aegon doesn't strike me as Baelor the blessed come again. He's still a virgin or that's the way I think about it. Adranne seems like he knows her way around a man and probably can make him scream if she took it into her mind. THe slut of Tyrell looks so innocent and goody goody she probably knows some perversions that would turn that poor boys head right around.

Nor Aegon strike me as a patient man. He seems like the type to not believe in the mean of delayed gratification. So I don't see him waiting around for dany to make her way west before he marries. Nor do I see Jon having the same impact or effect that he once had of the young prince. Meaning that he's head strong and impulsive the proof of that is him requesting to lead the battle on Storm's End. The plan was for him to set back and walk into Storms End with no blood on those high shine black boots of his. Yet he insists that he lead the battle, he can't wait to be in the thick of things as Jon and the Maester remark to themselves. That's one of the trapping of youth.

I think that Aegon's biggest down fall is that he's going to place too much stock in his father and trying to be too much like him. He's going to take Tyrion's advice to greatly to heart and defiantly gather a mistrustful spirit after while. Just one more Targ that has gone crazy. He is the mad kings grandson after all.

Well he's certainly shown spots of arrogance, and he jumped right up on Tyrion's suggestions without heading anything anyone else had to say about it. My interpretation of his conversation with the commanders of the Golden Company was basically "I'm the King and I say we do this, and you have to do what I say!"

Archived