Another Poster Unleashed

Westeros

I'm torn. I really like the three-eyed raven and the "Storm of Swords" symbolism, but I hate the gradient background and the text style and colour. I also would have preferred "Valar Morghulis" over "All Men Must Die", but I know they have to make it a bit universal - even if it is a popular phrase.

It's definitely better than last season's dragon shadow, at least.

Crow and raven is almost the same thing, basically two different terms for the genus "corvus". I think crows are a bit smaller than ravens, but basically there's no real difference whatsoever.

Ravens are a fair bit bigger, but that's not particularly useful when you only see one of them and can't compare. The sound and behaviour are the big differences (ravens alone or in pairs; crows in or at least near a group; ravens more of a croak). Plus, ravens have more "ruffle" in the upper chest/neck, but that doesn't help much with this picture. Oh, and the tail shape is different for the two of them, but I'm pretty sure neither of them have tails dissolving into falling swords. That third eye makes taxonomy a little tricky as well.

What wouldn't be better than the dragon shadow? I do agree with you generally, like the concept and main image, but it just falls a little flat. There needs to be some sort of texture in the background - even a subtle one - because the flat gradient feels amateurish. The composition feels a bit off too - like there isn't enough breathing room for the title.

Crow and raven is almost the same thing, basically two different terms for the genus "corvus". I think crows are a bit smaller than ravens, but basically there's no real difference whatsoever.

In Australia we have 'crows' everywhere, but apparently they're all actually ravens. Nobody calls them that though. Hell, I didn't even know until a couple years ago. :dunno:

In Australia we have 'crows' everywhere, but apparently they're all actually ravens. Nobody calls them that though. Hell, I didn't even know until a couple years ago. :dunno:

Actually we have a number of species of both crows and ravens in Australia, specifically, 3 raven species and 3 crow species. The most wide-spread is the 'Little Crow'.

Actually we have a number of species of both crows and ravens in Australia, specifically, 3 raven species and 3 crow species. The most wide-spread is the 'Little Crow'.

Sorry, you're right. I got my facts mixed up. They're ravens in South Australia, I just looked it up and the varieties of crows you mentioned live in Western and Northern Australia ranging into central Australia.

This is an alright poster at best.

Season 2 had without a doubt been the best poster. Season 3 horrendous and Season 1 was good.

Season 2 > Season 1 > Season 4 > Season 3.

:agree: The Season 2 poster was definitely the best. I don't mind this new one too much, it's a good poster in it's own right but I don't think it should be the main one. I don't see why they're not still doing the more realistic style posters of the first couple seasons rather than these cartoonish ones we've been given for 3 and 4. Perhaps a wine goblet with a red droplet rolling of the side, or a viper laying in the sand with daggers all around it. Or perhaps something similar to what we got except using a real raven as the basis rather than a drawn version.

I'm torn. I really like the three-eyed raven and the "Storm of Swords" symbolism, but I hate the gradient background and the text style and colour. I also would have preferred "Valar Morghulis" over "All Men Must Die", but I know they have to make it a bit universal - even if it is a popular phrase.

Not quite so universal if you are a woman. All men must die - either they forgot us women again, or all the women in the story get to live. That means Dany and Sansa get to live, maybe that's a message to the haters.

Archived