What is this, "Goodman" and "Goodwife" stuff?

BitsOfBrains

I am not sure if this is a real historical thing I don't know about or a fantasy construct or what, but what is this "Goodman" and "Goodwife" stuff?

"Goodman Ironbelly" and "Goodwife Herra" and that lowborn guy who was a hero on the blackwater was "Goodman something or the other".

I am not sure if this is a real historical thing I don't know about or a fantasy construct or what, but what is this "Goodman" and "Goodwife" stuff?

"Goodman Ironbelly" and "Goodwife Herra" and that lowborn guy who was a hero on the blackwater was "Goodman something or the other".

Goodwife probably refers to Harra being one of the heads of the household servants, I think goodman in ironbelly's case was just a title of respect.

In some cases it seems to be a title, and in some cases it seems to be like an on the spot courtesy.

Is it like a "ser" type thing where you earn the title "Goodwife Harra" or do you just start calling yourself that or what?

I guess it doesn't really matter, I am just curious.

Historical construct from Medieval England. The best example I can think of off the top of my head is the ballad "Get Up and Bar the Door" where the wife and husband are referred to as Goodman and Goodwife.

If anyone has read "The Crucible" and recalls all the wedded women referred to as "Goody Bates" or "Goody Smith". That is a holdover from Goodwife, a shortened form of it like Ma'am for Madame.

As I recall from how it is used in the books, not in historical references, they are basically the In-Laws, the parents of the spouse.

That's what I always thought it meant too. Cersei referred to Kevan's father-in-law, Ser Harys, as his a good-father. And she referred to Margaery as her good-daughter once.

Archived