Jon Snow Arc Changes in Game of Thrones Season 4 [Book Spoilers]

yeah, the show changes a lot but that's a necessary evil. First and foremost, the budget and scheduling for the cast. And this being a television show, vying for a television audience there's too many names and faces anyways. I've been trying to get my girlfriend into the show for awhile and she can't even keep track of all the characters' names in the show, and this is even after I've punched her in the head a couple times because she says she doesn't want to watch season 2. The casual viewer (probably about 60% percent of the audience) has little want for the rich and complex history of ASOIAF, so it's best just to leave it out of the show.

What I like about this however is that we're seeing differences in the series that sort of hint at where the books are going. What's the significance of Locke taking the black (will Jaime wind up at the wall?), Melisandre's conversation with Arya, etc. It will be interesting to see how they handle the Greyjoy brothers, or all the god damn Dornish.

I think the show's done a great job of streamlining the series. It's looking like Bronn's found a role in this season rather than just being mentioned in Cersei chapters. Things like that I often wonder if GRRM thinks "Hmm, that makes sense, why didn't I think of that?" (or maybe he did)

Really, when you compare GoT with other adaptations (fantasy in particular) it's astonishing how much they were able to remain faithful to the books. Expecting a word-for-word transcription from book-to-screenplay is just ludicrous and unrealistic, there are budget and time constraint issues, as well as problems with pacing and the fact that a lot of the books doesn't fit well into the format of episodic television. Putting all the battles in one episode is a good decision as it presents a natural climax to the Wall storyline better than the one we got in the books IMO (I am really looking forward to seeing Blackwater 2.0 on screen), but it also requires additions and alterations to be made to Jon's arc in the first eight episodes of the season. I wouldn't say I'm entirely on board with the Mutineers subplot, but I'm not going to judge the entire season based on a few 2-second long glimpses seen in trailers.

I must be the only one who thought Jon's season 3 arc was good. For the most part, it was incredibly similar to the books, right down to the cave scene and Queenscrown being adapted nearly word-for-word. Admittedly, the difficulties of shooting in Iceland restricted the pacing a little bit, but for me it wasn't noticeable (and it was worth it to get those sweeping Icelandic panoramas). The problem with Jon's arc in books 2 and 3 is that the life lessons Jon learns only really work if he is his book age. HBOJon getting endlessly lectured by Qhorin and Mance would make just make him come off as a naive idiot, rather than a boy coming of age and learning the harsh ways of the world.

So is it the concensus that the attack from South of the Wall and the death of Ygritte happens near the end of the season? I honestly expected it midseason, but maybe the actual Northwall battle w/giants, mammoths, (the turtle) will be supercondensed and will end with the arrival of Stannis?

I hoped there would be a lull there, so there would be a scene where Jon must meet with Mance and Varamyr.

John Bradley gave an interview with the WSJ, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7FnnCLLOi4

Confirmed a thought and also hinted at some other things as well.

1. No Coldhands. He has been cut from the show.

2. Quote is "Things people might be expecting to see in season 4 either won't be in the season or will be moved to another season".

Since, I'm going to presume he's talking about something he is involved with, meaning Castle Black, this may have to do with Jon being offered Winterfell. There is no Val, or no news of any female that would fit a Val. So, perhaps they will cast that character for season 5. And you will see that in season 5.

That's just a presumption on my part as to what he could be talking about. He did not say that. But he did say no Coldhands. Cut from the show.

Regarding Jon-Ygritte, do you think they will share any scene this season? Given that they didn't kill her at the end of the previous season as a way to end the storyline in a tragic way, it seems safe to assume that they will meet again at some point this season, otherwise, Ygritte dying won't be as dramatic as it could be. Any thoughts?

Ygritte should die in his arms, with Jon holding her in a Pietá fashion. Ygritte's drama will come through her relationship with Tormund. One of the trailer has Tormund reminding Ygritte that Jon is alive because she let him live or something along those lines.

just a thought. it it might be fun if Locke were on Jon's side this season. "F&*king Lannisters!"

Jon: "It's fire and destruction I want to bring on House Lannister" (or whatever was the exact book quote)

Locke: "He's the man!"

Well its bloody cold shooting in Iceland! Could be they did not have the shooting time to develop the story in that region.

Yes... and no. Imagine Mance is introduced like the books: Jon enters the tent, Jon and viewers think Tormund is the King-Beyond-the-Wall and, in the background, you have Hinds, playing a lute and dressed in a red/colorful cloak, maybe with pregnant Dalla cuddled next to him. And that guy is revealed to be the King Beyond the Wall. It doesn't add time. It doesn't add a budget beyond casting Dalla (and that could be skipped). But suddenly, the Wildlings are a lot more interesting and intriguing because instead of being led by a generic warlord, they are led by a bard. What kind of culture allows that?

Make other similar small changes in Jon's walk across the wildling camp, making it more colorful and throw in some people playing games and music, and the Wildlings whole picture is different. And it makes far more easy for Kit Harrington to show his feelings for them.

Instead, they are a grey, hard people. And worse, they are generic. I think only Tormund's weird talk about baby seals and sex makes them colorful.

Although it might make for some good TV because of its revenge and action-themed elements, I think having Jon and Grenn head back to Craster's is stupid. Sure, they can go back to avenge Mormont, but do they not remember that there are ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND WILDLINGS between them and Craster's? That seems like a pretty sure way to get killed off doing something stupid.

The only reason I can think of them having for doing this has to do with the shot we've seen of Rast giving a baby to the Others. If Grenn and Edd tell the brothers at Castle Black that Craster and now the deserters were giving babies to replenish the Other/White Walker army, they might decide to go kill the deserters to stop that from happening. It's still a dumb risk though. If the deserters are doing that, Mance will probably kill the mutineers at Craster's anyway.

I agree. But after season three, I don't put any stock at all in D&D abilities as armchair generals. I doubt the attack on Craster's Keep will make any sort of military sense.

About Jons trip to Crasters i think he will be send there by Aemon, Thorne or maybe he will decide it himself but the reasoning will be justice for the old bear and trying to stop the mutineers getting captured by the wildlings.

I have a little theory that we will see Jons more merciful side. :idea:

In one of the new trailers we can see two short clips of Jon fighting someone who looks alot like Karl (Burn Gorman) from season 3. I think Jon will defeat him but spare him to get information out of him. I think Karl may give Jon some information on the others since Rast in the first trailer is giving a baby to the white walkers. It will also give the producers an excuse to show the white walkers more instead of them disappearing a whole season.

i based Karls survival on this little clip in the foreshadowing video. the clip shows grenn in the tunnel with the giant, if you look behind you can see a guy thats (in my opinion) looks alot like Karl so he might taken back to castle black for interrogation and beheading or maybe hes redeemed somehow and rejoins the nights watch.

http://i.imgur.com/uT7Eav1.jpg i made a bad paint job on it. Still not 100% sure its him but it could be :)

Edit: spelling mistakes.

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, happy with the set up. You can see Jon, and most of the Night's Watch, aren't happy about turning their back on the villagers - but they understand how vital that information can be in swinging the outcome of the upcoming battle.

Can't wait to see the confrontation at Craster's.

Also, based on the previews for next week, it looks like Bran and the crew are going to stumble upon Craster's keep and probably get captured by Karl and Rast. It looks like there might be a White Walker run in there as well. We might see the baby sacrifice by Rast happen.

I just hope Bran gets away before Jon knows he's there.

I'm sure it will be a Queenscrown-type deal where they'll almost cross paths but won't. Based on the episode timelines, Jon attacking Craster's will probably be the distraction that Bran's group uses to escape I imagine.

Don't wanna start a new thread, but is R+L = J confirmed in the show? I seem to remember only a few conversation:

- Robert in first season saying how much he hates R.

- A few conversations between different characters saying how noble was R actually.

- Some conversation this season between Twin and Ollena but i can't remember what.

Help please:)

Archived