Long Term Travel on a Budget

Relic

The way of Saint James (the moor slayer) at Santiago de Compostela

A friend of mine walked the Compostela last fall and it was an amazing experience. I wish I'd been able to go along with her, but it just wasn't possible.

Already liked the Facebook page. Happy trails! :)

Santiago de Compostela, that's it.

Being a poor American, I couldn't possibly afford a ticket to France and back from Spain when finished, so I'll most likely never get to do this.

But the Appalachian Trail is possible. However, the logistics of getting there and back stymie me. Does one part a car in their starting spot and get a ride back to that spot after two weeks?

Santiago de Compostela, that's it.

Being a poor American, I couldn't possibly afford a ticket to France and back from Spain when finished, so I'll most likely never get to do this.

But the Appalachian Trail is possible. However, the logistics of getting there and back stymie me. Does one part a car in their starting spot and get a ride back to that spot after two weeks?

my plan is to be dropped off at point a. hike to point b. where i will be picked up.

my plan is to be dropped off at point a. hike to point b. where i will be picked up.

I did about 50 miles of it in 2005-ish. I had another guy with me so before we started we put one car at the destination and drove the other one to the start. But I think hitchhiking along the trail is pretty common. People will often pick up hikers, not the most reliable method but its a thing if you don't have a ride.

My only word of advice about hiking a small portion of the AT may be obvious, but - pack as light as you can. Ten or 15 miles seems like nothing to walk carrying 50lbs, but the terrain is brutal in some places and it becomes pretty taxing. Aim to go from shelter to shelter rather than carry your own camping gear. I carried way too much weight and paid for it with aches and blisters. The shelters, though, are generally un-evenly spaced and it can sometimes take a full day of walking to get between them. A couple of times we arrived at the shelter in the dark. Anyway, I would still try to plan it out that way so you can ditch some of the camping stuff. If I did it again I think I could do it with less than half the weight I carried the first time.

A friend of mine walked the Compostela last fall and it was an amazing experience. I wish I'd been able to go along with her, but it just wasn't possible.

Already liked the Facebook page. Happy trails! :)

Not to hijack Relic's thread, but there was a decent and surprisingly moving film starring Martin Sheen, written by Emilio Estevez, about a father who takes up the pilgrimage in place of his son who died at the start of the trail.

Relic, the site looks great, thanks for sharing. Good luck!

please feel free to discuss anything travel related in this thread. thanks for all the feedback guys. if anyone here does website design or coding and wants to give me some feed back or tips on improving the site by all means please share.

we are having a tough time optimizing the site for phones so any tips on that would be likewise much appreciated.

I did about 50 miles of it in 2005-ish. I had another guy with me so before we started we put one car at the destination and drove the other one to the start. But I think hitchhiking along the trail is pretty common. People will often pick up hikers, not the most reliable method but its a thing if you don't have a ride.

My only word of advice about hiking a small portion of the AT may be obvious, but - pack as light as you can. Ten or 15 miles seems like nothing to walk carrying 50lbs, but the terrain is brutal in some places and it becomes pretty taxing. Aim to go from shelter to shelter rather than carry your own camping gear. I carried way too much weight and paid for it with aches and blisters. The shelters, though, are generally un-evenly spaced and it can sometimes take a full day of walking to get between them. A couple of times we arrived at the shelter in the dark. Anyway, I would still try to plan it out that way so you can ditch some of the camping stuff. If I did it again I think I could do it with less than half the weight I carried the first time.

I watched a National Geographic special about the AT, and that was something really stressed in it. They showed all the stuff abandoned (or mailed back home.)

Not to hijack Relic's thread, but there was a decent and surprisingly moving film starring Martin Sheen, written by Emilio Estevez, about a father who takes up the pilgrimage in place of his son who died at the start of the trail.

Relic, the site looks great, thanks for sharing. Good luck!

This is the movie that made me want to do the Compostela. It is on Nexflix for those interested.

please feel free to discuss anything travel related in this thread. thanks for all the feedback guys. if anyone here does website design or coding and wants to give me some feed back or tips on improving the site by all means please share.

we are having a tough time optimizing the site for phones so any tips on that would be likewise much appreciated.

It looked great on my Android.

Boo hiss. I can't see it on my work computer, it's listing it as social media which we aren't allowed to view.

Is the blog the primary "tool" of the site? Just wondering - I think our iron wall of security just doesn't like anything that remotely resembles a blog regardless of topic.

Will check it out when I get home and be envious....a 2 year old restricts travel a great deal.

Is the blog the primary "tool" of the site? Just wondering - I think our iron wall of security just doesn't like anything that remotely resembles a blog regardless of topic.

The blog page has links and RSS feeds from two blogs but its not on the main page or anything. Its weird it pops up as social media. I have no idea why that would be. Must needs to do more research.

I've viewed the site from my galaxy 4 and it is all messed up. Especially the Travelers of the World section which shows all the pictures on top with the text on the bottom. again, this is something i hope to fix in the near future.

currently dealing with a bout of T.D. which is always fun. should have a new interview and some photos to share tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

The site looked good on my iPhone 5. Can't help with search engine optimization though.

thanks =)

Today's feature is about budgeting. Here is how you can travel Mexico's Yucatan for about $40 a day. We are starting with Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen.

http://www.justapack.com/cost_of_backpacking_travel_playa_del_carmen.html

thanks =)

Today's feature is about budgeting. Here is how you can travel Mexico's Yucatan for about $40 a day. We are starting with Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen.

http://www.justapack.com/cost_of_backpacking_travel_playa_del_carmen.html

Do jaguar still roam the jungles of the Yucatan?

I was there back in the '70s. I wouldn't mind going back. It was a really cool place. Didn't backpack. Just rented a little car in Merida and drove to Chichen Itza. I think I stayed at some hacienda that was very old Colonial-style.

Wonder how much it's changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived