Where in seven hells can Sansa be?!

KellieBom

So Brienne is searching for Sansa, she gets to Duskendale and everyone and thier mother knows that she is OBVIOUSLY looking for the Lady Sansa. So is every other knight on the road. She meets Pod, who is also looking for Sansa. She ponderously wonders to herself....where would this girl go to?

• Across the narrow sea?
  • Oldtown?
  • To her bastard brother on the Wall?
  • To her fathers bannermen in the north?
  • TO HER AUNT IN THE EYRIE?!

These are all reasonable thoughts. So why has not one single person thought to go to the Vale? Seriously? Everyone in the Seven Kingdoms is looking for the Imps wife who might have had a hand in killing the king.... but no one has thought to visit her crazy aunt in the Vale yet? REALLY?

I might be getting ahead of myself...I just feel like this is probably one of the FIRST places that should have been checked out. Word of Lysas death has reached Kings Landing, Cersei was musing about it... but the auburn haired, blue eyed, bastard girl has naught to be mentioned? Weird.

So Brienne is searching for Sansa, she gets to Duskendale and everyone and thier mother knows that she is OBVIOUSLY looking for the Lady Sansa. So is every other knight on the road. She meets Pod, who is also looking for Sansa. She ponderously wonders to herself....where would this girl go to?

• Across the narrow sea?
  • Oldtown?
  • To her bastard brother on the Wall?
  • To her fathers bannermen in the north?
  • TO HER AUNT IN THE EYRIE?!
These are all reasonable thoughts. So why has not one single person thought to go to the Vale? Seriously? Everyone in the Seven Kingdoms is looking for the Imps wife who might have had a hand in killing the king.... but no one has thought to visit her crazy aunt in the Vale yet? REALLY?

I might be getting ahead of myself...I just feel like this is probably one of the FIRST places that should have been checked out. Word of Lysas death has reached Kings Landing, Cersei was musing about it... but the auburn haired, blue eyed, bastard girl has naught to be mentioned? Weird.

Many people probably assumed Tyrion and Sansa are together. If Sansa is looking for a place to hide in the Vale, he wouldn't take the imp with her to the Vale, specially after he was almost killed by Lysa's orders.

Varys is a different thing, because he knows Tyrion isn't with her. Maybe, the whole "I'm looking for Sansa" is simply a charade and he knows where she is and he's simply playing along Littlefinger's plans, while what he really wants is to Sansa to get safe in the vale and when it's the right time, get the girl away from him

I don't think the weather is going to deter the warrior Brienne from completing this task of honor set out for her. She carries Sansa's fathers valyrian steel blade to protect he girl. Brienne isn't going to let THE WEATHER hold her back.

She's brave, but maybe not the sharpest sword in the armory....

Many people probably assumed Tyrion and Sansa are together. If Sansa is looking for a place to hide in the Vale, he wouldn't take the imp with her to the Vale, specially after he was almost killed by Lysa's orders.

:agree:

Plus if you look at the possibilities

• Across the narrow sea?

Oldtown?

To her bastard brother on the Wall?

To her fathers bannermen in the north?

TO HER AUNT IN THE EYRIE?!.

Really reasonable are only the Wall, the North and the Vale.

Across the narrow sea and Oldtown is taking a stab in the dark. Means she could be practically anywhere. And even if there is high reward I think it is fair to assume that people have other problems right now. Winter is coming. So I don't think that a lot of people searching for Sansa.

I don't think the weather is going to deter the warrior Brienne from completing this task of honor set out for her. She carries Sansa's fathers valyrian steel blade to protect he girl. Brienne isn't going to let THE WEATHER hold her back.

She's brave, but maybe not the sharpest sword in the armory....

Again as I said, I'm not 100% (I would have to re-read AFFC) but it wasn't that the bad weather would stop Brienne, she just assumed that because of the bad weather Sansa wouldn't be able to go there.

Well, that would have been probably Brienne's first thought, but remember: Sansa is not travelling alone. Rumours start showing up of Sandor Clegane - who is known (1) to have fled King's Landing and left the service of the Lannisters, (2) to have at the very least been acquainted and on speaking terms with Sansa while there, and (3) to have been seen travelling with a child.

Brienne comes to Maidenpool, on the trail of "a girl travelling with a fool" (Sansa and Ser Dontos). This was, in fact, the right direction. Nimble Dick Crabb guides her to a smuggler's cove - presumably the place where Sansa actually took ship (and Dontos was murdered), but find only outlaws - Timeon and Shagwell of the Bloody Mummers. Upon being asked about "the daughter of Lord Stark of Winterfell", it turns out they have seen Sandor, and identify the child travelling with Sandor as "a Stark child", which gives Brienne's the idea that Sandor must have found Sansa somehow, and aided in the escape - along with the story that they were making for the Blackfish at Riverrun, which apart from the Eyrie is the other obvious place for Sansa to attempt to flee to.)

So, Brienne returns to Maidenpool and encounters Randyll Tarly restoring order in his thankfully inimitable way: it is on the way back to Saltpans that they pass through the Quiet Isle, where they learn more.

- Firstly, that "The Hound" is no longer Sandor, who has laid aside his helmet (and is reported dead here - although, given that the Elder Brother reports his own "death" in what was a near-death experience, Sandor may still be alive as the giant, lame, hooded gravedigger).

- secondly, that another outlaw wearing Sandor's helmet has sacked Saltpans, and Sandor is believed to be responsible because nobody knows his helmet is now worn by another. The Elder Brother does not name Rorge - he probably doesn't know his name - only describing him as "another, just as brutal" (in fact, nowadays Rorge is probably more "brutal" than Sandor, whose worst actual crime since deserting on the Blackwater has been failing to pay a ferryman's fee at a river crossing: indeed Sandor has even earned food and drink by honest manual labour on occasion.)

- thirdly, that it was not Sansa but Arya Stark (disappeared long ago, believed dead) who was the child travelling with Sandor - a thing they could only have learned from Sandor himself. And that Arya went on without him towards Saltpans, and has not been seen since. Brienne hopes that Arya managed to get on a ship out of town before the new outlaw Hound arrived there (which is in fact exactly what happened), but fears that she may have been murdered along with most of the town's population.

- in either case, Arya Stark is no longer alive in Westeros, so Brienne - having been distracted by chasing the wrong Stark girl - turns back to the search for Sansa. Her ultimate destination is unknown - could Sansa be making for Riverrun, or for the Eyrie, or is someone trying to smuggle her back to the North? Either way, whether going to Riverrun or the Eyrie or the North, from Maidenpool and Saltpans the only way to get to either place is to return to the Kingsroad and go via the Crossroads Inn, which of course is what Brienne does. Of course, it is *at* the Crossroads Inn that she (1) finds it now reopened, by children and teenagers headed by Gendry (under the protection of the Brotherhood without Banners), (2) is present when it's assaulted by Rorge and what remains of his band of outlaws (who have been responsible for all of the recent "Hound" atrocities and are the reason that the BWB wants The Hound dead), (3) kills Rorge and is severely injured by Biter, then (4) is saved but taken prisoner by the BWB: meanwhile the Hound helmet, after Rorge's death, is taken by Lem Lemoncloak of the Brotherhood (which is responsible for the later rumours that the Hound now rides with the BWB.)

So, at least, Brienne was heading in the right direction when taken by the outlaws: it's not clear where she was headed *after* the Crossroads Inn, but from where she was (the direction of Quiet Isle, Maidenpool and Saltpans), the inn was on the right road to either the Eyrie or Riverrun, both of which would be logical destinations for Sansa.

• 5 months later...

Archived