Best death in the book a game of thrones?

Khal Peteos

Well, to anyone who hadn't watched the series -- like me -- I think Joffrey ordering Eddard's death was a sudden change in the tides, unexpected and key. Best death IMO.

Yes, I agree. It's the most dramatic and interesting. Generally, people who saw it in the series were more surprised.

"A crown for a king" is probably the most insulting thing Drogo could have said to Viserys before he died. Love it!

Actually he was even more insulting in the books, "a crown for cart king" (as compared to "a crown for the king" on TV)

Lady's death was the saddest for me, Ned's was more like WTF?

Actually he was even more insulting in the books, "a crown for cart king" (as compared to "a crown for the king" on TV)

Lady's death was the saddest for me, Ned's was more like WTF?

Why is it that animal deaths are more sad than human deaths? At least to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Viserys was the most deserved.

Ned's was the most unexpected.

But something about the first death (South of the Wall) when Ned beheads the deserter from the NW still stands out to me. Maybe it was because it was seen through Bran's eye as the first time he had seen it. I guess you don't forget your first.

• 3 weeks later...

Difficult. I actually cheered when Drogo gave Viserys his golden crown (not too loudly because my husband was already asleep beside me so it was more like an inward cheer *g*). That was the most deserved death in the whole book; in fact, I still think it's the most deserved death in the series so far, very closely followed by Joffrey choking to death.

The death scene that affected me most was Ned. Being new to the series, I actually thought Ned was the hero - GRRM does a damn good job in making us believe this - and even though there are lots and lots of signs that Ned is going down, I didn't see them (or probably chose to ignore them back then). Actually, when I had read Ned's death scene I thought "Awww, come on, this has got to be a hoax, surely they just dressed some guy up as Ned and chopped off his head, he's the hero, he can't be dead". I really believed they had sent off Ned to the Wall in secret and thought that Arya, being not that close to the actual scene, might just have been mistaken. It was when I started to read ACOK that I realised Ned's actually dead. That was, I think, the turning point for me - the moment I finally realised that no character was safe in this series and that everybody could die a horrible death. Even a "hero".

When Bronn killed (I forgot his name) during Tyrions trial by combat. The chapter and the wording and everything really engulfed me, and made my imagination combine with the words. It was a good fight, and a good death in my opinion. I guess I like it because it differs from the one in the show..

Other than that, the death of Ned is going to make me cry, Catelyn warding off the assassin was meh.. Maybe when the Wildlings attack Bran in the forest that one time and when Summer/Grey Wolf were tearing then up and eating their insides...

Ned’s death certainly set off a chain of events, which reverberated throughout Westeros. That was definitely a sign of things to come.

Khal Drogo’s passing was in certain aspects a rebirth for Daenerys. Despite losing a husband and child in the process, she also gained something else in return. Through Khal Drogo’s final journey on the funeral pyre and Mirri Maz Durr’s subsequent passing, these moments paved the way for bringing Dany’s dragons into the world. What I found interesting are the areas, where Dany placed each egg along the Khal’s body.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived