So, who's definitely gonna die in The Winds of Winter?

LooseyRoosey

BEYOND THE WALL" Jojen dies. His sister...iffy..

THE WALL: I expect the Wall to come tumbling down in this book...and taking most of the Night's Watch and assorted Wildlings with it. Very few survivors, probably including Jon, Tommen, and Dolorous Ed. The Red Witch, Stannis's family, the Wildlings, all dead.

WINTERFELL: Manderly is one of the very few lords there with any active brain cells. I suspect he has an escape planned, but it doesn't work. Most of the Frey's perish. Roose Bolton probably perishes. So do the Karstarcks. I do not see Bolton's Bastard surviving the book, and strongly suspect he has something to do with collapsing the Wall.

STANNIS's CAMP: I believe Stannis survived the initial battle with Bolton's forces. I do not believe he survives the book. Same with Theon. Asha Greyjoy probably survives, and probably ends up at the Wall - right before it collapses.

RIVERLANDS: Most of the Brotherhood Without Banners perishes, split among various bandit groups they may be. Waldar Frey likely perishes.

KINGS LANDING: Deaths of Kevan and the top Magister lay the groundwork for some serious chaos. 'Ser Robert Strong' might perish, but if he does so, its at the hands of the Hound, fighting for the church. Jamie and Cersei live until the last book, though a lot of Tyrell's perish, as do a few Sand Snakes - overconfident and over eager.

SOUTH: Connington perishes. So does the top Martel, Darkstar, and Mrycella.

SLAVERS BAY: This looks to be a major battlefield, with the first use of dragons in centuries. Lots of dead bodies. Barristan the Bold perishes. Victarion Greyjoy might survive the battle, but doesn't survive the book. Dany's current husband perishes. I have a suspicion the Volantine fleet will have a rash of mutinies once they arrive, going over to Dany. Most of the mercenary captains perish. About the only certain survivors are Tyrion and Dany.

• 3 weeks later...

TWOW:

Stannis

Davos

Margaery and probably some more Tyrells

Boltons

Freys

Theon

Arianne

Doran

Probably some sandsnakes

High sparrow

Brienne

Stoneheart

Barristan

Victarion and Aeron

Jon Connington

Freys

Myrcella and/or Tommen

Melisandre

Littlefinger

ADOS:

Varys

any of Cersei's remaining kid/s

Cersei

Jaime

Dany

Jon

basically i think the Stark siblings and Tyrion are the only major characters that will survive the series

If I go from Beyond the Wall to south:

Jojen is gone

Bloodraven might hang on for a little bit

Bowen Marsh and his comrades are definitely gonna die a horrible death (some collateral widlings and NW loyal to Jon might go as well)

I think Stannis will be victorious, but dies anyway

Roose sacrifies the Bastard somehow

Asha saves her little bro, dies for him (weird right?)

Freys in the North are toast for sure

Numerous Frey loyalists or Freys die on LSH orders

Harry the Heir

Sweetrobin

Varys might overplay his position, but not sure if Cersei will know that the Spider is her enemy

Cersei will go mental after Myrcella and Tommen croak

Some Tyrells will go before the end of the book

Some Sands or Martels as well

I hope Darkstar will crush the trio, because he's such a demon

Euron is safe for now, but Vic is gonna kick the bucket in Slaver's Bay

Aurane Waters might go over to Ironborn cause, and pay the prize

In Essos:

Someone will be fed up with Moqorro's bullshit (even though it's truth) and kill him off

Vic

Hizdarh

Barristan

Skahaz

Green Grace

Daario

Some dothraki

I don't think Cersei, Tommen, Myrcella or Littlefinger get out TWOW alive.

Although Cersei will survive her trial, her end is drawing near and the kids have got to go before her.

Littlefinger's death is being heavily foreshadowed. He has revealed his actions and schemes. Half of the value in a character like Littlefinger is their mysteriousness, once that's gone there is no reason to keep them in the story. Also, Littlefinger is drinking more heavily and hiring additional protection. His situation is more precarious than he is letting on to Sansa.

I also think Ramsay Bolton will die in TWOW. Maybe even very early on.

GRRM has confirmed in an interview that a POV character is going to die in TWOW..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTwqB1iqq4

So, let's start guessing...:-)

"Plenty of deaths, including some viewpoint characters."

Martin specifically said "some". And two POV's dying in a book is still big when you know non povs are going to get killed off too.

I'm hoping for Arianne and Victarion. Start trimming the fat right at the worst.

POVs I would love to see die off:

Anyone from Dorne

Victarion

Brienne

Cersei

Theon (but out of mercy)

Barristan (although he's damn awesome, I think he will die heroically)

Funny, I just read an article of GRRM stating he's pretty much going to kill even more characters in the upcoming books, with that being said I think the (important) ones to go will be:

Theon, Myrcella, Cersei or Margaery-not sure which but no way both will survive, Jojen (might already be dead and died in the TV show), most of the Freys, Barristan, JonCon, a Bolton most likely Ramsey

I think the ones that look the most likely to die are the ones actually most likely to live into ADOS. Jaime and Theon's situations look hopeless, so therefore they will live.

It's when things are going too conveniently well for a character that you should worry.

Okay, here we go:

Barristan. (Goddamnit)
Jon Con. (Goddamnit)
One of the Ironborn POVs (please? Not Asha though kthnx)
Probably Myrcella
Definitely some of the Dorne characters. Not sure which (Not Duck or Drink please)
Daario (Please oh please oh please)
Maybe Hizdar.
Jojen (Sad face. Not until he gets back to Graywater, though. No Jojen paste!)
Bloodraven
A whole lot of small folk

I don't think it's going to be a massive bloodbath for POV characters but I do think it will be for non-POV characters.

• 10 months later...

As much as I love her, I think Shireen will die soon. She dies in the TV show, and we know that she has kings blood. We also know that Mel loves to sacrifice people with King' s blood. Also,GRRM was the one who told D+D to kill her in the TV show. Plus, Shireen' s TV show death has connotations with a famous Greek myth, and we know how Martin loves to base events in ASOIAF on myth and legend. Sadly, I also think one of the direwolves will die in either WOW or DOS. Direwolves die A LOT in these books. The Mother Direwolf died, Lady died, Grey Wind died, and the remaining direwolves are in dangerous situations. In addition, if a direwolf owner (perhaps Bran or Jon) turns out to be Azor Ahai, then I think their direwolves will be goners. GRRM has confirmed that Azor Ahai and the last hero are the same person. When old nan tells Bran the story of the last hero, she says that the last hero's companions, horse and "even his dog" died. The word "even" highlights the dog as significant/important. The Stark version of a dog is a direwolf. So, a direwolf might die, if a stark is Azor Ahai. I think Tommen and Myrcella will probably die, as per Maggie the frog, but Cersei' s death will be in the middle of ADOS. I can't wait for LF to bite the dust, and I also think Arya will strike a few more names off her list. I think Qyburn will become Cersei' s new hand and will die around the same time as she does, like Aerys' hand.

Archived