World of Ice and Fire App Update

Keep spymaster. One notes that Bloodraven is never called master of whisperers in the Dunk & Egg stories.

Nothing says he held an official office prior to Aerys coming to the throne.

Hm. But Egg explicitly mentions that he overheard arguments between Prince Baelor and Bloodraven at council, while serving as page at KL before Ashford. That means that Bloodraven must have had a seat on the Small Council before Daeron's death, although not necessarily the office of Master of Whisperers (I guess he 'won' that seat on the Redgrass Field). But I'd assume as much, since Bloodraven seems to have a very effective spy network in place only a year after Daeron's death. That would be difficult if he had to start from scratch, especially since he was also governing the Realm...

And Bloodraven must have been in the city, perhaps even in high office, when it fell to him to manage the Great Spring Sickness after the Hand's death, and the king's. I don't see Aerys calling an obscure bastard-uncle to court who had no experience with the business of ruling...

I said nothing says he held an official office, doesn't mean he didn't have a place on the small council that was not specified in terms of duties. It could have been advisory. :) I'd not make any assumptions beyond what's presented in this case.

Like I said, use spymaster.

I don't believe this has been mentioned yet. My apologies if it has. I suspect this is simply an error with linking but in the third paragraph of the Melisandre entry it says:

Now assured of her position in Stannis's court, Melisandre convinces Stannis to burn the idols of the Seven at the Citadel's sept, claiming that the sacrifice will lead to the creation of Lightbringer [...]

This should say "burn the idols of the Seven at Dragonstone's sept."

I love this app. To all those involved: fantastic job! :D If there's any way to pass along suggestions for features, etc. the one feature that I'd love to see is the ability to view the maps in landscape mode when rotating my phone. Having to view them all in portrait mode is a little clumsy and not well-suited to any map except the Westeros map.

Does the App place Brienne/Pod's meeting after the Maidenpool episode with Tarly in Brienne's biographical App entry? That's just plain wrong, since Brienne catches Pod shortly after leaving Duskendale, while being on her way to Maidenpool.

[i may get that backwards, since the file I working on is a document depicting the various links and entries not necessarily in chronological order. But this thing seems to be the same section. First comes a mentioning of Pod, then the Maidenpool episode, then Brienne catching Pod and taking him under her wing.]

You are correct, the app should instead Pod joins Brienne in-between Duskendale and Maidenpool.

Separately, the entry for Carellen Smallwood states her mother is Ravella of House Caron, but the ASOS appendix says Ravella is from House Swann. Also, the relative she is sent to in Oldtown is Ravella's great-aunt, not Carellen's.

He wears the the breastplate of the officer of the City Watch because he is officially an officer of the City Watch.

The cloak Tyrion gives him is a gift to mark him out as captain of his guard, it's true.

Question about the app, perhaps best asked to Ran himself:

All the information that is in the app, but not (yet) in the books, how canon is that info? Is it truly canon, or is it still subject to change, and if so, what scale should I think off?

Edit: And then I'm thinking about info like 1) Brandon was going to join up with Rickards party coming down south for Brandons wedding, 2) Alysanne and Jaehaerys had 9 children 3)Gerold Dayne is in his late twenties.. Things like this

Any info that is erroneous would be our part. But I can't think of anything in the app which isn't canonical in the sense that it's from GRRM. That said, until it's actually published in the books, it's not set in stone I guess.

Any info that is erroneous would be our part. But I can't think of anything in the app which isn't canonical in the sense that it's from GRRM. That said, until it's actually published in the books, it's not set in stone I guess.

Ok, thank you for answering. :)

So since the new info appeared in the updated app, and the info was provided by GRRM, there is a big chance that the info will remain valid until the end of the series?

Varys,

Build. Bloodraven is slighter than his two famous siblings.

Rhaenys,

Well, there's a chance anyways. I can't estimate how great a chance. I think for stuff related to the far eastern regions, it's extremely likely to say as is. For stuff closer to Westeros (and the story), chances may be lesser, depending. Are there some specific details you're curious about?

Varys,

Build. Bloodraven is slighter than his two famous siblings.

Rhaenys,

Well, there's a chance anyways. I can't estimate how great a chance. I think for stuff related to the far eastern regions, it's extremely likely to say as is. For stuff closer to Westeros (and the story), chances may be lesser, depending. Are there some specific details you're curious about?

The reason I ask is due to a discussion about Brandon Stark, specifically. In the books, he left Riverrun "for an errand" that wouldn't take him long, and he would marry Catelyn upon his return. There's an SSM where GRRM would not say what the errand was. The app now states that Brandon was going to join up with Rickard and the wedding party, who were on their way south. So now I am wondering, how canon that piece of info is.

Another subject I came across quite recently was Darkstars age. The app states that he is in his late twenties, the books state nothing about that, IIRC. So I was wondering about that as well.

Another subject I came across quite recently was Darkstars age. The app states that he is in his late twenties, the books state nothing about that, IIRC. So I was wondering about that as well.

Cant find anything in the ssm collection but Ran started a thread a while back where he says GRRM confirmed Darkstars age. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/77399-the-end-of-darkstar/

Gerold Dayne being in his late twenties - do I hear the sound of one of "true Aegon" theories being debunked ;)? Ditto, his being a son of Ashara Dayne and a Stark, heh.

P.S. Looks like I am 2 yearts too late! That's some juicy bit of info to miss for so long. Oh, well, better late than never, I guess...

9 children of Jahaerys and Alysanne? Plot thickens. One of the daughters may have been the mother of Viserys and Daemon, another the mother of Viserys's Arryn wife. This would add another wrinkle to the choice of Viserys over Rhaenys - i.e. that he and his children were supposed to have more Targaryen blood than Rhaenys and hers.

We know that it was a factor with Rhaenyra, why not in the previous generation?

We know about Aemon's and Baelon's offspring. Did the other 5 kids die young/childless or are we in for surprise Targaryen ancestors in one or more of the Great Houses?

So, if Rickard Stark was already coming down for the wedding, does this mean that he didn't set out from Winterfell when Aerys's summons to the fathers of Brandon's companions came? Is this why father of Ethan Glover never came (and Ethan got forgotten and survived as a result)? Because he was still in the North and had much farther to go, and Aerys started his slaughter before he could reach KL?

Also, makes it plausible that Lyanna absconded from Rickard's party and he was the one who sent the news to Brandon, maybe hoping that Brandon would be able to intercept her.

It also seems likely that Rickard intended to go to Storm's End next and see Lyanna married to Robert. One grand tour of the South, 2 kids wed. Hence the timing of her elopement?

A lot of new food for thought there, for sure.

Archived