Thoughts on Sansa's Future...

Winnief

Sansa wouldn't allow it, but maybe Alayne would. Though I kind of doubt it. I mean even though she was "Alayne" in her last chapter she did occasionally slip back to Sansa. I hope that the threat of sweetrobin dying will force her to regain her identity and try to take down Littlefinger.

If she is really getting lost in the Alayne persona to that degree. So far, her referring to herself as Alayne has still had the sense of making herself act like a constructed personality, not that she actually believes she is Alayne. Again, if she really did believe that she was Alayne, she might do it - but believing she is Alayne is a sign she's truly gone off the rails.

Arya has an odd thought when learning of Sansa's marriage to Tyrion - "Could that be true? The Imp was a Lannister, and Sansa... I wish I could change into a wolf and grow wings and fly away." Since when do wolves fly? Haggon, in the prologue to ADWD, warns of the dangers in warging a bird:

“Some skins you never want to wear, boy. You won’t like what you’d become.” Birds were the worst, to hear him tell it. “Men were not meant to leave the earth. Spend too much time in the clouds and you never want to come back down again. I know skinchangers who’ve tried hawks, owls, ravens. Even in their own skins, they sit moony, staring up at the bloody blue.”

So good that SpringKing brought this about getting lost being a skinchanger and you getting to the idea that Sansa is getting lost at the Alayne persona. (At some point all are getting at their other personas, all that have assume another identity). The important fact is that all are returning to their own personalities (as Theon and Tyrion, they also ).

And also of that quote the sentence:

"... staring at the bloody blue."

It is a strange way of describe a sky. It can be take as red and blue (not only as a blasphemy). My guess: at the Riverland (red and blue are Tully colors), Sansa will not want to return as Sansa, but be kept as Alayne. But sadly, she will have to return if Arya will be returning. Their destiny go together. One is alive the same time as the other.

It is true that Sansa destiny is really open and it is difficult to try a guess. But it is wrong that nobody is going to help her. She has an ally at the sellword with salt and pepper beard (the other that is with the Mad Mouse). It can be the Elder Brother as Brashcandy and Milady has suggested. And if it is, for sure he will be helping her.

In the interest of not derailing the thread I'll respond to your other points in pm when I have time later.

I think he gets credited with this so often because his characters are so complex and well developed that it is almost a natural progression of a characters' story arc for traditional tropes to be subverted, purposely or otherwise. It would be perfectly understandable and IC for a character like Sansa, who has been bartered and sold across the board for her title, to rather not marry after all is said and done and the likelihood of Sansa having the ability to make this choice if she survives the series I think is quite high given the current projection of her story arc. Tropes are categories that are used as a lens to classify characters and their actions and GRRM's characters are so close to the complexity of RL people, who never neatly fit into the categories and stereotypes we want them to, that trope subversion is almost inevitable. Would it be just as good a story if Sansa did indeed end up a classic princess and happy for it? Probably. But given how "realistic" GRRM likes to be I find it unlikely.

I could make a long list of unrealistic characters, storylines, and aspects to the asoiaf series.

I think the fandom does want GRRM to give traditional anyways when it suits them. He's already admitted that the Starks are the heroes. The fandom expects the heroes to triumph and the bad guys to fail even if IRL that wouldn't necessarily happen especially with the whole idea of Starks maintaining power for as long as the series claims.

The fans usually predict some good ending for Sansa. She becomes a ruler whether married or not. She's not unhappy. She'll be able to do what she wants even if other characters won't.

Sansa wouldn't be exempt if fans get their way. One other example of unrealistic and not relatable to RL is if her fans are right and she learns to skinchange birds without much trouble and uses that as a spy network. That is like Bran who has a story that has little to do with RL and everything to do with fantasy.

She already has aspects that I don't find realistic. A 13 year old is supposed to be more beautiful and desired than grown women.

She is true to classic princesses in other ways like going through trials but still keeps her good heart. Her good heart influences the beast in her story (Beauty and the Beast/San/San) and of course he just so happens to be there in time to save her. etc.

Meanwhile, after Lysa's death Sansa, still in the guise of "Alayne Stone", becomes the de facto Lady of the Eyrie, comforting her sickly young cousin Lord Robert while being tutored by Lord Baelish in some of the finer points of courtly intrigue. x

The Westeros page of Sansa says otherwise :rolleyes:.

You should stop being so smug about it.

Just because the wiki says something doesn't make it canon. . I believe its mostly filled with entries from other, fallible and biased fans.

Fair enough.

IIRC though Myranda Royce the perceived gossip by Sansa and LF is the only one gossiping about him having an illegitimate kid. Not that it wouldn't surprise me, 80% of the male noble populace is sticking their sword in any sheath that moves and birth control seems fairly controlled for the highborn only.

Can't wait for the story in the Vale to unfold. I was sad that it didn't have a factor in Dance.

I know they are a bit of varying quantities, but no one really gives two shits when Edmure or Theon go around whoring. Granted it's not an issue for Theon anymore, but he was heir to the Iron Islands as he was doing it. Edmure was bitching and moaning about having to marry Roslin, and all the whorehousing he did prior to the marriage didn't matter. He's smitten with Roslin and has a baby on the way. Halys Hornwood has a bastard who is likely to end up the heir to Hornwood. Bryen Caron had a bastard as well but he was happily married and had a successor with no issues. Brandon Stark took Lady Dustin's virginity.

I'd agree with you that most of the male nobility probably goes for gold. They are probably just smart enough to not dip their pen in company ink.

But the gods are seldom good :rolleyes:

Arya is definitely not forgetting her Starkness. So she will neither marry Hot Pie nor Gendry.

Arya will come upon it likely when moving up the stairs, and uncovers the loose stone under which she hid Needle. I think the gods will prove to have some good with the ending.

Sansa uses her political learning to oust LF (hoisting him by his own petard) seems to be almost a given plot wise. Other than that it is difficult to speculate.

Hopefully she will reunite with Sandor: the Elder Brother being called on to heal SweetRobin (bringing Sandor with him, is a possibility). I suspect he could mention LF holding a dagger to her father's throat and betraying him. This would certainly give Sansa the motive to set about LF's downfall.

It is possible that she will have an illegitamate child: the ground work has already been laid both in her changing view of Bastards, her non shocked "so what" attitude to LF telling her he slept with her mother and her new friendships with Mya and Myranda.

She certainly is filling the criteria for being the one who casts Cersei down, but she does not have to end up as Queen to fulfill that role.

Lady of the Vale could be a possibility, but it is unlikely as HtH seems like a plot point. (F)Aegon seems likely to end up with (WoW spoiler)

Arienne

and there doesn't seem to be many other options left other than regent for Rickon.

Or another remote possibility is that she remains Alyane and opts out of Courtly Life retiring to live at the Fingers. This would fit with Jaime's quote about forgetting she ever was a Stark, the comment on how she and Willas' name sounded the same (Clegane and Alayne having a certain rhyming factor) and some of GRRM's comments about the Hound being dead and Sansa maybe as well and there only being Alayne, and the wry smile to a questioner asking why Sansa ends up with a crippled old dog. As obscurity is the only way they could end up together. However it would mean that she never sees any of her family again. :(

Hopefully she will reunite with Sandor: the Elder Brother being called on to heal SweetRobin (bringing Sandor with him, is a possibility). I suspect he could mention LF holding a dagger to her father's throat and betraying him. This would certainly give Sansa the motive to set about LF's downfall.

I don't think that is likely, given that the Elder Brother is not known far and wide. Besides, who needs Elder Brother to help SR when he has Sansa taking care of him.

I don't think that is likely, given that the Elder Brother is not known far and wide. Besides, who needs Elder Brother to help SR when he has Sansa taking care of him.

He is in the Vale and known for curing what even Maesters cannot cure. Hypothetically he could be called on by Bronze Yohn, once SweetRobin's condition is more fully discovered and it becomes clear that LF is planning to marry his "daughter" to the next heir in line.

He is in the Vale and known for curing what even Maesters cannot cure. Hypothetically he could be called on by Bronze Yohn, once SweetRobin's condition is more fully discovered and it becomes clear that LF is planning to marry his "daughter" to the next heir in line.

I hope that this hypothetically option will happen. I really don't want sweetrobin to die. Personally I am pretty mortified that the fans are hoping he will die.

Elder Brother is on the QI not the Vale.

Archived