i have a decent grip around my palm, with my other hand, don't see your point? Certainly good enough to handle a necessary adaptation, not my personal preference, but it isn't too hindering.

I am at work now, but I'll come back and post about how well it works with the replica I have, can't say i've tried much half-swording, That's what daggers etc. are for I would assume :)

i have a decent grip around my palm, with my other hand, don't see your point? Certainly good enough to handle a necessary adaptation, not my personal preference, but it isn't too hindering.

I am at work now, but I'll come back and post about how well it works with the replica I have, can't say i've tried much half-swording, That's what daggers etc. are for I would assume :)

Exactly lol

Most halfswording techniques are impossible with a blade this size, and halfswording is how you fought in close quarters with a greatsword. It's simply far too wide to be practical as a sword, and no sword ever used in history was this wide aside from

wait for it

Tools of execution, and those are rare enough as is in sword form of this width. Many also had a flat head.

Halfswording is pretty dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, and there's no evidence you even can halfsword with Valyrian Steel considering they are far sharper than most blades.

Said grip around your palm means you only have one finger joint resting around the other side of the blade and the edge is also sitting right on said joint. If that thing moves at all you're going to lose a finger.

I agree, prob not the best for close quarters, but that's why EVERY warrior it seems in this book carries a dagger as well. I got two knuckles over my palm, and pretty much the whole of my thumb. Cutting them off would blow, maybe steel greaves? I dunno, being as I am partial to more of a chokuto blade myself (speed over size and reach all day, every day) but the sheer rallying power of wielding this thing, along with effective plate crushing, and concussive force would make it useful in the field. If you get in a tight spot, drop the fucker and bring out the dirk/dagger on your waist. I think it's feasible at least to think he used it. I mean the William Wallace replica i got is bigger than Ice and it still isn't beyond my ability to use in a sparring match (and I'm no knight)

Are you wrapping it around your WHOLE HAND including thumb, not just your palm?

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120511213934/gameofthrones/images/5/5c/Eddard_1x01.jpg

I have rather large hands and only get one joint over holding my hand at its widest point.

You can't halfsword with gloves/mail on either, as you need the pressure and friction of your skin in order to keep the blade from moving which is crucial for halfswording.

I would only think about using this sword for intimidation and if I was reaaaally strong and could sweep this thing around in its full arc.

Once again, the william wallace sword is nowhere near as wide as this blade.

My main argument is that using this against Dayne would be silly, especially considering Ned almost certainly never had a chance to train with the sword while an adult. He was raised in the Eyrie, and there is no doubt the weapon would take special training.

There's a reason no one ever used a sword like this historically. Ned also almost always would have been fighting from horseback as he was one of the main commanders, and all commanders would be ahorse for a number of reasons. For one it lets you be heard much easier as you're higher up.

Truth in your statements my friend. Yes the WW is skinnier than Ice. I am personally bigger than Ned is described too 6'4" 230lbs, so that probably makes some difference. And yes, around the thumb as well I get two knuckles and most of my thumb. I agree it isn't the most logical choice of weaponry on horseback, personally I would prefer a bow, or a mace (Italian style) on horseback. And if fighting Dayne I would want speed, not size for sure (I am going to bet he's better than me, much like he was better than Ned). SO I agree with you on the Dayne fight, but on Pyke he wasn't on horse, and he had time to practice, so maybe we can meet in the middle? He used it if the circumstances allowed it, but wasn't bound to it by any means?

On Pyke was the best chance for him to be using Ice. He had time to learn to use the sword, he was on foot, and like I said, the sword would be worth it just for the intimidation factor. Look at how people view Tarly and heartsbane, which is altogether more wieldy.

GRRM is also not an expert on swords and this is a fantasy series, so I could see him using Ice at times other than just ceremony, but then again Ned is a very pragmatic and practical, so against Dayne there just is no way, especially as the sword has no sheath to wear on the hip or back(keeping a sword on your back is near suicide anyways) meaning he'd need a squire whose sole purpose at the ToJ was the carry the blade. I'd think the sword would be much more effective in the hands of the Hound or someone who had the physique to truly wield it.

In the end it's GRRMs word and it's fantasy; what he says goes, but I think the fact we never see Ice used in the book for combat is pretty significant, and using a logical and realistic approach there is no way Ned was foolish enough to try and use the blade in combat. Against lesser swordsmen and on the battlefield it could be effective.

Actually, considering he was fostered in the Eyrie and the sword was never meant to be his but his brother's, Ned probably didn't train with it at all until after the rebellion. He'd have been too far small to wield it otherwise

/topic

Roberts rebellion was over a year long. Eddard could have trained with a greatsword for some time. This is a fantasy novel. If it was a movie they could show a groovy 80's training montage with some new wave music over it.

Roberts rebellion was over a year long. Eddard could have trained with a greatsword for some time. This is a fantasy novel. If it was a movie they could show a groovy 80's training montage with some new wave music over it.

But GRRM doesn't do montages, or Jaime would actually be decent.

I think Eddard was far too busy during this time to be training to use an impractical weapon, and even then during the main battles he had a few months at best. He also isn't Luke Skywalker who was fine with a few months of training, he was never really a warrior, he was a soldier and commander.

:agree:

Proof you don't have to be either or; we meet in the middle like gentlemen ;D

The best argument for the Using Ice debate is that it's Valyrian Steel. That alone denotes the importance of such a blade.

Archived