[Spoilers] Official Dark Souls 2 Thread - Prepare to Die... again.

aceluby

Forest of the Giants kicked my ass a lot more than I expected. I thought I would breeze through the first area. It doesn't help that I was going through it at half health.

Pressing triangle at a bonfire lights your torch. Took me FOREVER to figure this out. You can set enemies on fire and light torches throughout the way, though you only have limited time with the torch.

I can't figure out how to check how many torches I have. I keep picking them up, but I can't find them in my inentory.

You can light enemies on fire? I have to try that!

Human Effigies are pretty common. I think I have around 15 right now and use one once every level or so since I'm not dying nearly as much as I was in the first few hours.

I have 7 now, and have used only 1. I have tons of Life Gems though.

Item degredation seems to not be working. It will say my sword is almost broken, but then when I go to fix it the blacksmith says there isn't anything to fix. Only once it's actually broken does it have the option. Not only that, but when I tried using the repair powder (which is rare and expensive), it didn't work and my sword was still broken.

Your gear gets repaired when you rest at a bonfire. You only need to repair them (via blacksmith or powder) if they actually break. Best to keep an extra weapon on hand just in case, they degrade at a much faster rate than they did in the first game.

I spent 2 hours trying to beat the 2nd boss in the Giant Forest and eventually decided I should explore elsewhere since you can't summon anyone for that fight.

One thing that's great right now is there are a TON of players. I drop my sign and it's picked up within a minute, so I spent a good amount of time helping people with the Dragonslayers and the Pirateship boss. Even after levelling up quite a few levels I still get summoned fairly quickly.

The Pursuer? I though he was prettty easy. And I saw tons of summon signs on my way to him. Didn't summon any, first time through is going solo. You seem to be farther than me, so maybe you went a different way?

Has anyone managed to find any large titanite shards yet? My weapons are at +3 but they feel so damn weak and I need some to upgrade them further.

Any luck yet? I found 3 in The Lost Bastille. Enough to get my Mace to +5. But I get the impression that I took a different route and I'm here sooner than most other people.

Your gear gets repaired when you rest at a bonfire. You only need to repair them (via blacksmith or powder) if they actually break. Best to keep an extra weapon on hand just in case, they degrade at a much faster rate than they did in the first game.

That is good to know. Does anyone have a list of the gameplay changes from the last one?

Forest of the Giants kicked my ass a lot more than I expected. I thought I would breeze through the first area. It doesn't help that I was going through it at half health.

Yeah, me too. Like you I went at it w/ half health until the Pursuer (trying to get summon signs), but it wouldn't let me drop a summon sign or summon anyone for that boss. Not sure why, but I'll give it another go soon.

I can't figure out how to check how many torches I have. I keep picking them up, but I can't find them in my inentory.

Each torch you pick up is 5 min of torch time, so if you've picked 5 up you've got 25 min. As you use the torch the timer will go down.

I have 7 now, and have used only 1. I have tons of Life Gems though.

I've used 3 I think. I also had a glitch(?) where my humanity was restored after helping someone defeat a boss.

Did not know that.

The Pursuer? I though he was prettty easy. And I saw tons of summon signs on my way to him. Didn't summon any, first time through is going solo. You seem to be farther than me, so maybe you went a different way?

I faced him once and lost right away at the top of the castle in Giant Forest. As the second boss to this level I haven't gotten more than a few meagre hits on him before he slices me right up. Wouldn't let me drop a sign or pick one up either before the fog or most places in that level. Will check back. I think we're about in the same spot since you've made it to Lost Bastille. Did you find the hidden bonfire there with the blacksmith looking for an ember?

Any luck yet? I found 3 in The Lost Bastille. Enough to get my Mace to +5. But I get the impression that I took a different route and I'm here sooner than most other people.

That's where I found mine as well.

That is good to know. Does anyone have a list of the gameplay changes from the last one?

Nope, there's not even instructions. This will be built by the community over time no doubt, but as of now everyone is equally in the dark. This is my favorite time of a Souls game because we're all in the same boat.

Each torch you pick up is 5 min of torch time, so if you've picked 5 up you've got 25 min. As you use the torch the timer will go down.

I faced him once and lost right away at the top of the castle in Giant Forest. As the second boss to this level I haven't gotten more than a few meagre hits on him before he slices me right up. Wouldn't let me drop a sign or pick one up either before the fog or most places in that level. Will check back. I think we're about in the same spot since you've made it to Lost Bastille. Did you find the hidden bonfire there with the blacksmith looking for an ember?

Oh that's what that time is for. I've got 45 minute of torch time. I've only used the first one I got.

I got to Lost Batille after beating The Pursuer, so you've done a lot more than me. Found the bonfire, and made 2 attempts on the boss. Managed to beat one of them, so I don't think it's going to be too hard. Just have to not mess it up.

Didn't get to play at all yesterday so no progress yet. When I stopped for the night on Tuesday I had just gotten to Lost Bastille. I think I took a different route too though since I never fought the Pursuer and have no idea where he even is.

Finally home from work though so I can play more, gonna re-roll. I want to do a str/fai build instead of the dual wield dex build I've been using.

No need to start over, you can re-spec wth a certaiin item...

Don't remember what it's called, but there is one in the basement of Cale's house in Majula.

Anybody find a vendor that sells Gold Pine Resin or Aromatic Ooze?

None of the folk in Majula are carrying them. I could really use some to help in beating the Bastille Sentinels. I almost had them. Got down to one Sentinel, and only one or two hits left on it. And I blew it. Soooo close.

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only Souls vet that was getting their ass kicked in the beginning. I was actually getting frustrated, but gradually I got better (picking up the Falchion helped enormously). Now I'm really getting into the flow of it though.

I just now beat the bosses at The Lost Bastille (I love that area by the way -- awesome atmosphere/level design and some great enemy aesthetics; those big mummy-like things in the capes are badass). Broke down and used summoning though. I've actually summoned several times for bosses. I just love co-op in this game, it's so much smoother. Usually the first two summon signs fail, but after that I get a link. I don't think I've had to wait more than five minutes at the absolute most, to get two other plays, and normally it's much quicker than that. Initially I was going to solo all the bosses the first time around as Muttering Bill is doing, but ultimately I decided that I'll do that in my second playthrough. I'll still TRY to beat them all solo at first, but I'm not going to bash my head against the wall. I really want to see what the world and story has to offer, I have forever to beat these bosses solo. My second character is definitely going to be a big battlemage bruiser, now that magic and strength are more compatible.

So currently I've finished Forest of the Fallen Giants (Pursuer included), No Man's Wharf, The Lost Bastille (aside from that tower with the archers (I can't even figure out how to get back there, any tips?), and the Heide Towers area, at least aside from a certain spoilery boss:

I was so psyched to see him return, and I loved that someone left a message beforehand stating "revenge ahead!". He kicked my ass like three times though, but I'm not going to summon -- that's one boss I

will solo first time around). I do hope there's some kind of in-story explanation for how and why he's there.

My sword-and-board, archery Knight is rocking a +5? Falchion and a +4 Short Bow, as well as some pyromancy. I really wanted to get into archery in this game, since they've approved on it so much, but so far all I could find is the short bow from early on. Anyone know of any that I've missed or that are upcoming? My Short Bow actually isn't bad, in fact it's really useful, but I really want to find a better one (preferably one that scales with dex), and I don't want to keep dumping upgrades into a weapon I know that I'll replace eventually.

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Pyromancy now scales with both Faith and Intelligence, right? Does it matter which? Is it based on the particular spell? I wouldn't mind upping my Faith some more for the utility spells (I already have Heal, just incase I need it). Ultimately I'm working towards a Dex/Faith swordsman with good archery and a few miracles/pyromancies here and there.

And now I'm off to see what's inside the Majula Mansion, then it's Huntsman's Copse for me (been trying to figure out how to get there FOREVER, finally broke down and checked a guide -- only the second time I've done that!).

But yeah, I'm really fucking loving this game. I like the general mechanics of everything a lot more than Dark Souls, and that's saying something lol.

Literally got my first invasion just now! Took the guy down fairly easily, and it was funny because a Blue Guy was summoned right at the end haha! But yeah that was great, smooth as fucking butter, no lag whatsoever. Felt like I was fighting a really smart phantom NPC, lol. 14 hours in and that was my first invasion, surprising really. I've spent a decent amount of time being human as well.

Loving this game!

Damn, it does kick my ass though.

I created a sorcerer and am enjoying her. The soul arrow spell is very nice and allowed me to slaughter the three ogres in the tutorial area very quickly. The problem with my character so far is that I can't be hit. 2 hits, I'm dead. I'm learning the dodge roll quite well though.

So far the easiest boss I came across was the Pursuer. I summoned someone to help me with him. I spent the fight dodging and rolling and trying to line him up in front of a ballista and my partner blasted him with it.

The toughest area I came to so far, not far into the game yet, is the Cathedral(?) place with all the giant armored guys and the two dragon bosses. Those dang armored guys are tough. My little glass cannon(more like a glass water pistol) can't take many hits from those guys.

My only issue, not the games fault, is that my xbox was jiggled while playing the game and put a nice circular gouge into the games disk. I ran it through my disc repair thing and I am now able to play my one character, the game won't let me create a new one yet. It just goes to a black screen. I'm gonna try and repair it a couple more times, but if not, I may have to grab another copy. Sucks.

Where did you all go after the Last Giant?

I got tired of dying to the Ruin Sentinels and decided to go exploring and earn a few levels. I just went through every area, and the only rout I found was the way I went - through the Pursuer and into the Lost Bastille. Every other way was blocked. Where is No Man's Wharf?

Where did you all go after the Last Giant?

I got tired of dying to the Ruin Sentinels and decided to go exploring and earn a few levels. I just went through every area, and the only rout I found was the way I went - through the Pursuer and into the Lost Bastille. Every other way was blocked. Where is No Man's Wharf?

I think you get to No man's warf after killing the dragon rider boss, which is on the cathedral level(Heidl's something or other).

I also dropped down the big hole in Majuri. Haven't explored a lot down there, but I did get thoroughly lost, lol.

I didn't fine that level either!

I think the area I was talking about(heidl something or other) is down some stairs in Majuri. There is some water and a gate at the bottom. You open the gate and you go into a city/cathedral type area.

Hah, I'm glad I'm not the only Souls vet that was getting their ass kicked in the beginning. I was actually getting frustrated, but gradually I got better (picking up the Falchion helped enormously). Now I'm really getting into the flow of it though.

I just now beat the bosses at The Lost Bastille (I love that area by the way -- awesome atmosphere/level design and some great enemy aesthetics; those big mummy-like things in the capes are badass). Broke down and used summoning though. I've actually summoned several times for bosses. I just love co-op in this game, it's so much smoother. Usually the first two summon signs fail, but after that I get a link. I don't think I've had to wait more than five minutes at the absolute most, to get two other plays, and normally it's much quicker than that. Initially I was going to solo all the bosses the first time around as Muttering Bill is doing, but ultimately I decided that I'll do that in my second playthrough. I'll still TRY to beat them all solo at first, but I'm not going to bash my head against the wall. I really want to see what the world and story has to offer, I have forever to beat these bosses solo. My second character is definitely going to be a big battlemage bruiser, now that magic and strength are more compatible.

So currently I've finished Forest of the Fallen Giants (Pursuer included), No Man's Wharf, The Lost Bastille (aside from that tower with the archers (I can't even figure out how to get back there, any tips?), and the Heide Towers area, at least aside from a certain spoilery boss:

I was so psyched to see him return, and I loved that someone left a message beforehand stating "revenge ahead!". He kicked my ass like three times though, but I'm not going to summon -- that's one boss I

will solo first time around). I do hope there's some kind of in-story explanation for how and why he's there.

My sword-and-board, archery Knight is rocking a +5? Falchion and a +4 Short Bow, as well as some pyromancy. I really wanted to get into archery in this game, since they've approved on it so much, but so far all I could find is the short bow from early on. Anyone know of any that I've missed or that are upcoming? My Short Bow actually isn't bad, in fact it's really useful, but I really want to find a better one (preferably one that scales with dex), and I don't want to keep dumping upgrades into a weapon I know that I'll replace eventually.

Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but Pyromancy now scales with both Faith and Intelligence, right? Does it matter which? Is it based on the particular spell? I wouldn't mind upping my Faith some more for the utility spells (I already have Heal, just incase I need it). Ultimately I'm working towards a Dex/Faith swordsman with good archery and a few miracles/pyromancies here and there.

And now I'm off to see what's inside the Majula Mansion, then it's Huntsman's Copse for me (been trying to figure out how to get there FOREVER, finally broke down and checked a guide -- only the second time I've done that!).

But yeah, I'm really fucking loving this game. I like the general mechanics of everything a lot more than Dark Souls, and that's saying something lol.

Who is the boss you are talking about? I dont have the game till it comes out till PC but I want to know everything lol

There is a boss that returns? Is there lots of DS1 shout-outs as it were?

No Man's Wharf?

At the second bonfire in Heide's whatever (the Tower bonfire, not the first one), find the path leading downwards...the path is located off of the platform where the miracle-selling lady is/was. Follow that path through and eventually you'll get to the Wharf. If you're fighting those same Heide giants in knee-deep water, then you know you're going the right way. (:

Who is the boss you are talking about? I dont have the game till it comes out till PC but I want to know everything lol

There is a boss that returns? Is there lots of DS1 shout-outs as it were?

The boss in-question is:

Ornstein. Though it's interesting because his armor is silver instead of gold. In the first Dark Souls, if you buy his armor, it's also silver instead of gold. Does it mean anything? No clue. I doubt it's an accident though. So far that's the only major story-connection I've seen, though I personally suspect a certain knight with lightning weapons that you meet several times may in fact be a fully hollowed Solaire, though that's purely speculation. I'm barely half-way through the game, if that.

So I am struggling a ton in this game. Maybe it's just because it has a steeper learning curve than DS1, but I've put in just 3 hours and already have more than 40 deaths.

Any tips on where to find stronger weapons? I took a sword off a white knight in the Giant Forest, but so far everything else I've found has been weaker than my starting gear.

I'm finding it very difficult to put together any sort of a build. I'm at SL 46 and my stats are still a mess. I've had to put a bunch of points into Vitality to counter the half HP state that I'm usually in. A bunch into Vigor too (I think that was it?) so I could equip some better armor. I've sunk enough into Dex to use a bow, but still short on strength to equip my halberd. I've got a 'Faith' character but haven't been able to put any points into Faith yet. I've also got almost nothing in Endurance.

At this point in DS1 I'd already have my weapon minimums set and be pumping a fair amount into Vitality, Endurance and Faith. A little under developed, but still clearly a focused build.

At the second bonfire in Heide's whatever (the Tower bonfire, not the first one), find the path leading downwards...the path is located off of the platform where the miracle-selling lady is/was. Follow that path through and eventually you'll get to the Wharf. If you're fighting those same Heide giants in knee-deep water, then you know you're going the right way. (:

The boss in-question is:

Ornstein. Though it's interesting because his armor is silver instead of gold. In the first Dark Souls, if you buy his armor, it's also silver instead of gold. Does it mean anything? No clue. I doubt it's an accident though. So far that's the only major story-connection I've seen, though I personally suspect a certain knight with lightning weapons that you meet several times may in fact be a fully hollowed Solaire, though that's purely speculation. I'm barely half-way through the game, if that.

The Tower in the middle of Majula. Yeah, I couldn't get in there. I need a lever or something to open the door. I could use a miracle vendor.

I'm just going to wander around some more. Try to put some more points into Endurance to help me against the Sentinels.

My guess would be that the silver armor is for regular dragon knights, and Ornstein's was gold to denote his rank as captain. So this guy is probably not him.

You mean the while knight who's sitting in the Forest? He does look very Solaire like. I'm wondering if maybe I shouldn't have killed him.

Any tips on where to find stronger weapons? I took a sword off a white knight in the Giant Forest, but so far everything else I've found has been weaker than my starting gear.

The blacksmith in Majula sells a few decent weapons. I've also gotten some nice drops from the knights in the Forest area leading up to the Pursuer - haldberd and a couple of greatswords. Got a bastard sword too but I don't remember exactly from where. I want to say an enemy drop in Lost Bastille.

I'm still using the mace I started with. It's not bad leveled up to +5. I'm going to hold onto it until I find a Scythe or Lucerne. No point in leveling up something else that I'm only going to use temporarily.

I love the backstab animation on the mace. Kick out the knee and smash over the head. It never gets old. Way better than the old animations where you would 'stab' them with a weapon that isn't made for piercing.

If the blacksmith is who I'm thinking of, doesn't he require a key so he can help you? I haven't found that yet.

Early game in DS1, you could find the uchigatana and the Dragon Fang Sword. Anything like that in this game?

I doubt it'd ruin anything, but I'll spoiler just in case anybody doesn't want to know.

You get the blacksmith's key from a vendor at the 2nd bonfire in the Forest of the Giants.

There is a fire sword in the Forest as well. Don't remember where exactly. It's helpful against the first boss, but not really that special otherwise.

When you open his shop, the blacksmith sells some decent enough weapons. Falchion, halberd, mace. Some others that may work depending on what type of build you're going for. Not great weapons though. And maybe not even better than your starting weapon.

Archived