Mini Reread: Maester Luwin

DrunkSister

I am not sure how you are using word 'genuine' here.

It happens because I'm not english AND at the same time too lazy to bother checking the proper translation for every word I post. D:

Probably loyal would have been better...

See you when the thread will come back in full force!

• 2 weeks later...

OK

I believe Luwin is the ultimate Stark loyalist and sacrificed himself at the end to ensure their rebirth. He could even be one of the older Benjen or Brandon Starks or a stark bastard or perhaps a son of a Stark daughter by a lesser nobleman or guard.

I do not have a kindle so just have to rely on memory etc but here goes.

Luwin discusses magic with Bran indicating that he had studies the subject but been disappointed. In other words as a YOUNG man he believed in magic and the old ways but years at the citadel had made him believe that if it ever HAD existed it was now long gone. So we have a young Northman (possibly even a Stark by birth) who spent years at the citadel, during which time he lost his belief in magic. If Barbary Dustin and Marwyn are believed this was deliberate planning by the citadel.

However by the time of the sack at Winterfell Luwin has come to believe again. Growing evidence of magic included the Direwolves, Rickon and Bran's dreams, and probably the obvious signs of warging Bran and Rickon showed, the red comet, stories of dragons return which Luwin would probably have heard, if only vaguely and also direct contact with Osha who could confirm the existence of giants and the wights and the CoF. Luwin may even have been in contact with Marwyn, since Luwin is one of the few maesters who studied magic and would have studied with or under Marwyn.

I think at the very end of his life Luwin sacrificed himself (OK he was dying anyway). He had Osha cut his throat by a weirwood tree. I suspect that Luwin's death probably with a ritual, by a woman believer in the old gods (Osha) may be the blood sacrifice that will allow Winterfell to be rebuilt, possibly with a new weirwood sapling. Thus Bran's vision of the original sapling, starting with a human sacrifice, is repeated.

• 4 weeks later...

Actually, my reading is very similar to yours but like yours it relies on memory, what I tried to do was go quote by quote and rediscover the character, so to speak.

I have a hunch that he is from North and connected to house Stark, but I haven't the faintest idea why.

I'll try to get into reread once again now that have a little bit more time.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived