Braavos is on TV, but still WoW is not in sight.

TheBadboy

a lot of people seem to assume a dream of spring will take as long as the other books and that's not the case GRRM has everything set up for dream and by that point things will just fall into place

What incentive do we have to believe this, when his past history suggests otherwise?

yes four years to write a book that's main job is to set up the last book. ok it goes like this a the first book set up the story then next 3/4 furthered the story and TWoW is going to set up the last book like someone sets up dominos once their set up you just need to knock the first one down and everything else follows quickly

The plotline may be together, but GRRM still has to write it out. Just because TWOW may be a precurser to ADOS doesn't mean that the words will just jump out on page. After TWOW finally releases, I fully expect a similar wait for the next book to come out.

there will be obvious re precautions for Quentin's death and they will affect the story when Dany gets to westeros so they can't really cut him out also dorne will play a big part in Aegons story so they can't be cut either I honestly think you just want these things to happen so you can complain

Obvious repercussions? We don't know that, we can only guess. Then again, we could guess that Edric Storm will have an important role to play, or that the results of Willas and Garlan's conflict with the ironborn will shape the future politics of Westeros, yet they were all cut from the show. Pyat Pree is still alive in the books, and Robb's will might very will be decisive for the whole story, yet none of this is in the show.

The show will overtake the books. What's bad is how much time GRRM has spent on other projects/tours since the show started filming. This could have been avoided.

Personally, I'd just like him to wrap up his myriad story lines and characters as he has outlined instead of him doing his usual thing of getting caught up in tangents and adding many more characters until even he can't keep track of them all. A little discipline would go a long way at this point.

relax guys. i believe GRRM knows what to do. TWOW will come out in late 2014 or early 2015. so he has 3 years to finish TDOS. as you know he is done with The World of Ice and Fire and this is huge thing. he will have a lot of free time now.

Till the next side project

The side-projects are done, for now. Apart from Wild Cards (which is a commitment predating ASoIaF itself by a decade), GRRM has no irons in the fire other than ASoIaF itself (and the annual TV script, which seems to take about 2 weeks max). If he can maintain that focus, we should seen an improvement in speed.

Whether it's fast enough or it's now too late in the day is another question.

The show will overtake the books. What's bad is how much time GRRM has spent on other projects/tours since the show started filming. This could have been avoided.

I don't think all the tours and such matter. Just because he's home doesn't mean all he'll do is write write write. He doesn't need years and years to write either. He just has to write and he's admitted to being a slow writer.

the tv show will surpass the books and then we'll get a filler season like my favorite japanese animes

This!

Hellsing anyone? :lol:

Have you read the news about Vanity Fair for april? Is about GoT. DD saying what we already know, they're sat with GRRM last year:

"David Benioff tells Windolf, “Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with him [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be. If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character"

As a reader, I dunno if I like these new. I wanna watch the show but I don't want to get spoiled nor anything like it.

There is no way George catches up and it is obvious. At best he will get Winds of Winter done in time. Show will either reveal the ending or create an alternate ending.

Ending will be same. The basic outline of the story will be same between the book and the show no matter what happens, just as it is now. All the major characters are in the same place as they are in the book. For example Jon is at the Wall, Stannis is planning to move to the Wall. Theon is captured and being tortured by Ramsay. Bolton has betrayed Rob Stark. Joffery is to be married to Margary. etc....

It's the details that would differ, specially for minor plotlines and minor characters will significantly be different, but the end game will be the same.

Well that depends on what the real ending is. I agree that the producers would most likely just show the "real" ending but alternate is not impossible. For example we could have an ending where the characters fail, Others invade and wipe out humanity. The apocalypse ending. I think that would be cool.

Have you read the news about Vanity Fair for april? Is about GoT. DD saying what we already know, they're sat with GRRM last year:

"David Benioff tells Windolf, “Last year we went out to Santa Fe for a week to sit down with him [Martin] and just talk through where things are going, because we don’t know if we are going to catch up and where exactly that would be. If you know the ending, then you can lay the groundwork for it. And so we want to know how everything ends. We want to be able to set things up. So we just sat down with him and literally went through every character"

As a reader, I dunno if I like these new. I wanna watch the show but I don't want to get spoiled nor anything like it.

Which means the show will finish before the books I guess.

Relax about Bran running out of story, chronologically his ADWD chapters happen way earlier that everybody else's

He will most likely disappear for most of season 5 (post Jojeen-paste), magically influencing things until a reveal late in season 6.

Most likely GRRM has already written most of WOW and ADOS, he's just timing the releases to maximize profit (WOW between season 5 and 6 and ADOS 1 week before HBO's series ends).

Season 3 was done well, and they were using only the first half of aSoS, excluding the red wedding and the battle of Yunkai. They cane easily drag out AFFC and ADWD to make a season, or a season and a half. They can make the siege of riverrun last several episodes, cersei' arrest, Timmons frivolous rule, meereen for Dany. They could rasily expand Tyrions storyline so he spends a long time on Essis trying to reach Dany. There is plenty of content don't worry.

If the show passes the books I will definitely stop watching in until I have read TWOW. I am religious about spoilers, I never even watch the HBO trailers or read Martin's sample chapters on his website.

@ Rhaegar's Heir,

could you please use something resembling normal sentence structures and punctuation for your posts, it is a pain in the ass trying to make sense of that incoherent rambling.

Having someone else complete your greatest lifes work and ultimately getting the credit for it has got to be enough to push George to gets these books out.

THIS.

Also seeing where they "trim the fat" in GoT seasons to come (including this one) if they premier before the books are released will greatly influence my interest in the books. For example if they were to cut characters, subplots, etc... it would take a lot of the magic out of reading the book for me. Why should I bother with so-and-so's POVs in Winds if they shortened this plotline/complely ignored this character/this event in season 5,6,7? I don't know, perhaps that's just my thinking.

I think it would discredit GRRM's creation to allow an interpretation of it be the first to "complete" it.

Archived