EW Reveals 7 Season Plan

Westeros

Because they are not only saying seven, and you just pick and choose what not to listen to?

I agree with Ran. It's not decided yet. I think they are leaning towards seven, though. I also agree with Ran that whatever ambiguity there still is will be resolved by next year.

Well, it is decided, it's just, do you want to believe it or not?

The producer and head of programming have said and keep saying 7. So that's the plan, and nothing else.

If you want to believe they will change from the current plan of 7 seasons to saying it will be 8 seasons next year, yeah, who knows, that could always happen. Even though such a change seems unlikely now. And will be even more unlikely this time next year because they are writing the scripts for season 5 as we speak, and so they'd need to know right now how many seasons the show will end up being, in order to properly allocate the remaining story over the seasons to come. That's why it does not surprise me at all that they have come out and said that 7 seasons are planned, by now they need to know how long the show will be.

BTW I don't see too many quotes being passed around of the producers or writers recently saying it will be 8 seasons, so feel free to link me to those.

Or better yet: A normal seventh season AND a split eighth season for a total of 85 episodes spanning 9 years. B)

OK, now I'm talking nonsense.

No I don't think you are. Given that a good third to a half of the WoW will be taken up with the battle on the ice and the battle in Meereen I have absolutley no idea how GRRM will satisfactorily resolve all of the myraid of stroylines he's got spinning. Either the last book will be a gigantic doorstop of a thing or he's going to end up writing more than two. I take all of these pronouncements about future plans with a huge amount of skeptisism.

Well, it is decided, it's just, do you want to believe it or not?

The producer and head of programming have said and keep saying 7. So that's the plan, and nothing else.

If you want to believe they will change from the current plan of 7 seasons to saying it will be 8 seasons next year, yeah, who knows, that could always happen. Even though such a change seems unlikely now. And will be even more unlikely this time next year because they are writing the scripts for season 5 as we speak, and so they'd need to know right now how many seasons the show will end up being, in order to properly allocate the remaining story over the seasons to come. That's why it does not surprise me at all that they have come out and said that 7 seasons are planned, by now they need to know how long the show will be.

BTW I don't see too many quotes being passed around of the producers or writers recently saying it will be 8 seasons, so feel free to link me to those.

A big part of splitting ADWD into two parts had to do with giving GRRM more time to write the next books, given the massive popularity of the TV show this became not only possible but desirable. HBO are looking at a massive money spinning hit, so if the popularity of the show continues then you're damned right they'll give us more.

A big part of splitting ADWD into two parts had to do with giving GRRM more time to write the next books, given the massive popularity of the TV show this became not only possible but desirable. HBO are looking at a massive money spinning hit, so if the popularity of the show continues then you're damned right they'll give us more.

Indications so far have been that they will be filming the entirety of A Dance with Dragons and A Feast for Crows next season, which is honestly the best result for all concerned. That is the option that is most likely to retain the show's high ratings, which would make an eighth season more probable, while also ensuring that if the HBO decides to only go for seven seasons, they can still properly adapt the material from The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

At the most recent interview with D&D, during the premiere of the fourth season, when asked about the end-game of the series, Benioff responded: 'At least seven - we can't do it in six, so at least seven seasons.'

From roughly a month ago.

I'm not sure if it'll be seven or eight, and it's not something I'm all that concerned with. They will go for seven seasons if it is in their best interests to do so (from a narrative and logistical stand point), and they'll go eight if it is in their best interests to do so.

But I'd wager that it isn't decided as of yet, and that the amazing ratings they're getting for this season will have a role to play in the final decision. It's possible that they'll have a much better idea by the time they get done writing the fifth season, but I'd imagine that D&D will need to get a look at the manuscript for The Winds of Winter, and have a very in-depth discussion with George about A Dream of Spring before they come to a conclusion.

Indications so far have been that they will be filming the entirety of A Dance with Dragons and A Feast for Crows next season, which is honestly the best result for all concerned. That is the option that is most likely to retain the show's high ratings, which would make an eighth season more probable, while also ensuring that if the HBO decides to only go for seven seasons, they can still properly adapt the material from The Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring.

I think it will depend almost entirely on the shows continuing popularity and how quickly GRRM can churn the other two (three?) books out, which by all indications is not going to be quick at all. I'm not sure how they'll handle things if the show overtakes the books. Would Martin care? I'm thinking yes, a lot. But at the end of the day it will come down to money, if HBO keeps making as much as they are they'll definitely want more and perhaps even longer seasons.

I think A Dream of Spring will be faster than The Winds of Winter.

If I recall, GRRM said somewhere that he already has the endgame written, he's just writing the "journey".

George has said lots of things in the past about how quick the books will take, almost none of which have been realized. I don't think any of this is written in stone is all I'm saying.

I think A Dream of Spring will be faster than The Winds of Winter.

If I recall, GRRM said somewhere that he already has the endgame written, he's just writing the "journey".

I don't know if he actually said that but think it's more likely that he has the endgame planned in his mind. Not written.

Not to mention that, apart from the endgame, he has a million loose ends now, lots of characters that need to be somewhere or do something or reveal something that will have to be tied up by the end.

I didn't want to read through 51 pages to see if someone mentioned this, but what if the show decided to kill off Cersei in season 5? If Martin told D&D that she is going to die in TWOW, then it would make sense for them to get rid of her at the end of next season. Also, since she won't need as much screen time when she's in jail there will be more room for Aegon, JonCon, Victarion, and Arianne, plus they won't have to pay her for the episodes she's not in (I think) and Lena Headey is probably one of the more expensive actors on the show. Then if they killed her off at the end of season 5, that would open up even more time and money for the other characters in season 6 and 7. But, if GRRM has her surviving well into TWOW then that wouldn't work. Same thing could apply to Brienne or Jaime if they are killed by LS at the beginning of TWOW.

Also, I think it would make sense to have season 5 be 12 episodes (which includes the battles for Mereen and Winterfell) and then have seasons 6 and 7 be 14 episodes apiece.

I didn't want to read through 51 pages to see if someone mentioned this, but what if the show decided to kill off Cersei in season 5? If Martin told D&D that she is going to die in TWOW, then it would make sense for them to get rid of her at the end of next season. Also, since she won't need as much screen time when she's in jail there will be more room for Aegon, JonCon, Victarion, and Arianne, plus they won't have to pay her for the episodes she's not in (I think) and Lena Headey is probably one of the more expensive actors on the show. Then if they killed her off at the end of season 5, that would open up even more time and money for the other characters in season 6 and 7. But, if GRRM has her surviving well into TWOW then that wouldn't work. Same thing could apply to Brienne or Jaime if they are killed by LS at the beginning of TWOW.

Also, I think it would make sense to have season 5 be 12 episodes (which includes the battles for Mereen and Winterfell) and then have seasons 6 and 7 be 14 episodes apiece.

Cersei obviously has a hugely important role to play going forward (hence why she has UnGregor to win her trial). She is not going to die at the end of season 5, just like Aegon is not going to be cut.

At the most recent interview with D&D, during the premiere of the fourth season, when asked about the end-game of the series, Benioff responded: 'At least seven - we can't do it in six, so at least seven seasons.'

Ah so again it's 7 seasons that they're mentioning. Ok.

Does anyone have any idea how soon we might get indications about the scope of the fifth season? Casting would seem to be of little use since there is no one that comes to mind that is featured towards the end of A Dance with Dragons that is not there at the beginning.

Archived