A Discussion of Shae

FakeJaqenH'ghar

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Shae:

At times, I struggle differentiating book Shae and TV Shae mainly because the relationship between her and Tyrion in the show is largely displayed romantically (in my eye at least). I tend to forget what her position and role is, thus making the revelation at the end of ASOS so heart wrenching in a variety of ways.

Do you look at her as a backstabber or do you find her betrayal benign in a sense? Without diving into huge detail, I can't help but feel the pain from personal fraudulent relationships when reading Shae's final chapter. That said, when looking back on her position within the series, I understand why she did what she did.

“A day will come when you think yourself safe and happy, and suddenly your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth, and you'll know the debt is paid"

-Jaqen

I hadn't watched the show before reading, and I'd always thought Shae would so clearly betray Tyrion in some way later in the series -- as I thought about Bronn, the Moon Clans, the Kettleblack brothers, Varys... Tyrion never had anybody, Casterly Rock's gold did.

That said, it's one of those things that people do without ever imagininating the magnitude of the results. Not sure, but I believed Jaime when he told Tyrion Tysha was no whore (I see it as an honor attack triggered by Brienne). Thus, I think that Tyrion's falling for Shae is, in the end, Lord Tywin's fault only. Tysha and Jaime were the only people who ever loved Tyrion for what he is, and Tywin blew them both off in one move when Tyrion was just a child. No wonder he's got attached to whores and sort of subconsciously thinks people will like him at any point if he buys them first.

It's all too dramatic as you begin to understand the Imp.

It is confusing until you start to realize that book Shae and TV Shae seem to be different characters altogether.

If you notice, book Shae never really expressed any true emotion for/with Tyrion. It was a completely physical relationship on her part ("physical" being her lack of emotional love as well as her monetary benefit).

But on the other hand, TV Shae clearly expressed genuine *love* for Tyrion as an individual, not caring about the benefits of loving a Lannister or the hardships of his being an imp.

He's totally still killing her. Not exactly sure if the reasoning will be the same though.

Of course not, I just mean a way to tell the watcher how Tyrion loved somebody who was just a whore. Of course we learn later how Tysha wasn't a whore, but showing him with Shae is supposed to be Tyrion trying to fill the blank Tysha left; just like he does internally to the reader, but it had to be graphical to the watcher -- what's graphically relating Tyrion to love? Shae.

Edit: 'course it's just sex, but Tyrion almost comes to believe Shae was something more before being arrested.

Archived