The Most Criminally Overlooked or Underrated Writers Ever List

The Killer Snark

Perhaps in your countries.

By that logic I could call anybody who hasn't read Dulu Wang or Schiller or Goethe, Dürrenmatt, Lessing, Levoy, Ende, Mao, Confucius, Murakami, .... underread. These are all legendary writers in their countries but not necessarily outside.

That is the most stupid thing I've ever heard, really.

Marlowe is not at all known in all countries. and not well read. Only because you read it in your college class..pff. That does not make someone important or well-read nor well known.

They actually all are really well known outside their country.

Are you even trying anymore?

By that logic I could call anybody who hasn't read Dulu Wang or Schiller or Goethe, Dürrenmatt, Lessing, Levoy, Ende, Mao, Confucius, Murakami, .... underread. These are all legendary writers in their countries but not necessarily outside.

Marlowe is not at all known in all countries. and not well read. Only because you read it in your college class..pff. That does not make someone important or well-read nor well known.

I'm not even certain what you're trying to say anymore. Are you saying that because people might not often read Marlowe in say Mongolia, that then means Marlowe is an overlooked author?

Also Goethe, Lessing, Ende, Confucius, Mao, and especially Murakami are all widely read outside their own countries.

dude, this coarse manner of colloquy is extremely ineffective.

and of course i'm underread. but not for not reading marlowe, who is probably the second best known early modern english dramatist.

I'm gone for a few days and I see someone is trying to employ the Chewbacca Defense in making points so out there that the Ancient Aliens people would be bewildered by them ;)

That being said, I suppose Robert Irwin's The Arabian Nightmare might qualify as "overlooked," considering which US publisher has reprinted this novel ;)

Annie Dillard. I don't know if she's underrated or overlooked, but she's definitely under appreciated on the is board. A lot of her stuff might not interest people here, but if you can tolerate any kind of 'historical fiction' The Living is pretty fucking awesome.

*probably overrated in some circles, but for the average audience here I feel like she's a frigging unicorn.

her surname has an unpromising entry on urban dictionary.

My life's work is now complete. But seriously, that's a shame. The Living is a great read in that it's kind of the 100 Years of Solitude for the Pacific Northwest. Well, I guess Alice in Chains' Dirt might fit the bill better but this is the best literary equivalent.

• 6 months later...

Yeah Monument was a pretty decent debut. Then nothing.

Really for me it's got to be Daniel Woodrell. He gets some kudos I suppose but he really should've been up for most of the major Lit awards and topping the best sellers list. Beautiful prose that makes Cormac Mcarthy read like David Gemmell, wonderful story telling and characterisation.

There are so many authors who are overlooked and underrated, sadly.

For my money, some of the best are:

Anna Tambour - her last novel was Crandolin. It was put out by Chomu Press.

Brendan Connell - his latest book is the Metanatural Adventures of Dr. Black, put out by PS Publishing. Easily his best book, but he has a few from other independents like Chomu and Eidonvale, if I remember right.

I suspect a lot of you would kinda dig Andrew Macrae's novel Trucksong, which is a dystopian SF book about AI trucks in the Australian landscape. It's got a Mad Max vibe for those of you who are looking for an easy connection. He's a musician out of Victoria - plays in a band called the Television Sky, and wrote a soundtrack for it, which is actually pretty cool. You can download it or stream it out of www.trucksong.com.au/

I also reckon Avram Davidson is pretty under read and under appreciated (he was when he was alive, as well, I suspect). It's hard to find his books now, but there's a collection of his Limekiller stories out by Old Earth Press, and some retrospective collections. The old novels have these sweet sixties/seventies covers if you can find them.

Likewise, I tend to think that Fritz Lieber is as well nowadays. I suspect he has a decent following in places like this, but still.

Anyhow, y'know, I could go on forever on these things. Sadly.

Archived