The Rogue Prince, or, The King's Brother - a story about Prince Daemon Targaryen and (possibly) the origins of the Dance

Lord Varys

A thread to discuss the upcoming short story, the second installment of the abridged version of the history of House Targaryen GRRM is eventually going to publish in 'Fire and Blood' (formerly known as 'the GRRMarillion').

Little information on the contents as of yet. Title and short description indicate it will cover the reign of Viserys I Targaryen, and the events leading up to and/or causing the Dance of the Dragons. A strong focus will be on Prince Daemon Targaryen, but I guess other characters will feature in there as well.

We could get:

1. The name of Viserys' first wife, Rhaenyra's mother, the famous Arryn queen.

2. The story could cover the infamous tourney at KL celebrating the fifth anniversary of Viserys to Alicent (which should be almost as well-known as the Tourney of Harrenhal by now).

3. An overview/details on Daemon's campaign at the Stepstones. Was the Iron Throne officially at war with the Kingdom of the Three Daughters? Who died there? What caused the fighting?

4. Clashes between Daemon and Ser Otto on Viserys' Small Council.

5. Rhaenyra as a young woman, and insights into her (alleged) affairs.

6. Laenor and Laena Velaryon.

7. Information on the exploits of Lord Corlys Velaryon in the East.

8. New insights into Targaryen marriage policy during Viserys' reign (Viserys-Alicent, Daemon-Laena, Rhaenyra-Laenor, Rhaenyra-Daemon, Aegon-Helaena).

I hope also hope for some new light on the relationship between Rhaenyra and Daemon during the Dance, and on his relationship to Nettles. Ran has said that plenty of stuff concerning Daemon was cut from TPatQ.

so George is releasing another 7 kingdoms short story. Never even caught the hint of it, was never listed as one of the "monkeys" on NAB, nor was there a hint on this site till today, http://grrm.livejournal.com/

So if George can write what is (presumably) a PATQ or D&E sized novella and keep it under wraps to release that quick, it gives me hope for part 4 of D&E and that other book we're waiting for too!;)

I'm curious where it will start, timeline-wise. I wonder if there's any chance of us getting info on the Great Council of 101? If this is about the events leading up to TPatQ, some explanation of how the (earlier) succession struggle led to Viserys on the throne in the first place might make sense.

Though I'll be very surprised if it includes anything contemporaneous with TPatQ (like the whole "Nettles" issue), since supposedly it takes place in "the years leading up to" TPATQ.

'The King's Brother' in the title makes it very unlikely that it will travel far into the reign of Jaehaerys I. But if it is more or less an account on the reign of Viserys I, it may touch upon some events back then. Rhaenyra's birth, the Great Council, Jaehaerys' death. But these things may be cut in the published version, since 'The Rogue Prince' will go through a similar process as TPatQ.

I could easily imagine the story beginning with Viserys' marriage to Alicent, or even as late as the tourney of 111 AC. The problem is, that we don't know what happened during Viserys' reign. If most of the peace-and-plenty years were at the beginning of his reign, I doubt the story will say much about this time. If many important things happened back then, the story would cover some of that stuff.

I also doubt that any light will be shed on Daemon's last weeks/days, but if the relationship between Rhaenyra and Daemon is covered by this story, some hints, clues, or remarks on how (badly) things ended could be there.

I was reading his blog earliertoday, and for some reason my brain just went dead. I totally didn't catch it at all.

It's really cool I guess, since Daemon was my favourite character in TPatQ.

It will be released a day before my birthday as well.

is it the same Daemon from TPATQ who is married to Rhaenerya?

Yes

i guess he just moved this story from The World of Ice and Fire

It's from the GRRMarillion book, so we won't get the full story for a few years.

Archived