What are you listening to? Vol XII: Everybody has a different way to view the world

Ferrum Aeternum

i have been doing a lot of rush as of late. they are a band that i love but only listen to on binges for a month or two and then not much at all for another year.

I similarly binge-listen Rush for weeks at a time, but never go for more than a few months without listening to at least some part of their catalog. The past few years I've gotten much more into their 80s "synth" stuff that I didn't appreciate as much when I first discovered them years ago. Grace Under Pressure is such a fucking incredible album.

As soon as I read "Everybody Has a Different Way To View the World" I knew whomever started this thread was listening to Iron Maiden.

Heh, at any given point in time it's a safe bet Maiden is in my rotation, and lately it's a safe enough bet that the album is A Matter of Life and Death.

But right now I'm listening to some sweet, sweet prog metal: Vanden Plas - Sound of Blood

Bruce and co. say it best: Iron Maiden - Different World

Yes! Love Iron Maiden - thanks for this!

=-=-=

Nickel Creek covering the old folk song 'House Carpenter'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOyST2vMlP0

"...I could've married the king's daughter fair. And she would have married me.

But I have forsaken her crowns of gold, and it's all for the love of thee.

Now will you forsake your house carpenter, and go along with me?

I'll take you where the grass grows green on the banks of the deep blue sea..."

=-=-=

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Walk On The Ocean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12bM1CqHoBY

"We spotted the Ocean, and the head of the trail

Where are we going that's so far away?

Somebody told me that this is the place

Where Everything's better, and Everything's safe..."

i have been doing a lot of rush as of late. they are a band that i love but only listen to on binges for a month or two and then not much at all for another year.

I was humming the opening theme of 'True Detective' the other day at work and the coder in the next cube asked if it was Rush. I said no, but I did take requests, :P

Semisonic - Gone to the movies

I'll raise you Mac Miller's Watching Movies. ;-)

=-=-=

SoRIAH with Ashkelon Sain: CEHUI

"...We are come to the labyrinth tonight,

walking one by one.

In the dark of Samhain, a riddle burning bright,

and candles waving down..."

SNSD Galaxy Supernova

Merc Chef mentioning Rush has put me in the mood for some. I asked his advice on where to start since I've only heard scattered songs, but I think I am going to disregard the advice I solicited. I bought Moving Pictures, and I bought the first album because it's currently on sale for $5. Going forward I think I am going to mix and match "famous" albums with the ones that are on sale (there are a bunch right now), and if I still want more I'll go chronologically.

I listened to the s/t this morning in the kitchen. It is fine but it's easy to see why they were dismissed as the Canadian Led Zeppelin. I understand that Peart was not yet with the band and that it had not yet moved in a prog rock direction. I'm listening to Moving Pictures and I dig it -- hell, it's half a Greatest Hits album on its own.

If anyone wants to give a whirlwind tour of what to expect at various stages of their career, I'm all ears.

If anyone wants to give a whirlwind tour of what to expect at various stages of their career, I'm all ears.

For me, mid-70s to mid-80s Rush was the golden era; Every album from 2112 to Grace Under Pressure is a classic. So rather than post a wall of text that goes in-depth on every album, I'll mainly focus on those.

The band's sound has continually evolved over the years. Their first three albums all have their high points, but are weaker overall than the remainder of the catalog as the band had yet to perfect the prog elements of their sound. The rest of the albums they put out in the 70s (2112, A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres) are bold, confident prog rock, nearly flawless in execution. The only caveat to those albums are the occasional long instrumental passages, which many fans find brilliant but obviously aren't for everyone.

Permanent Waves moved the band's sound forward another few steps, and is my personal favorite. I find it a great blend of their harder edged 70s stuff with bits of the 80s synth sound mixed in. Moving Pictures has a similar feel and is also consistently excellent, as you've already found out.

Signals marked the start of the "synth" era and is thus divisive among fans. I happen to love it. Grace Under Pressure has such a unique tone that's different from any of their other albums. It's also lyrically darker than normal, which makes for a bunch of memorable songs.

Rush has put out some other really good albums since (2007's Snakes and Arrows being a highlight for me) but the above should at least get you started. :)

Archived